Can we get a legitimate response as to why PC launch feels so neglected?

I'm not one to repeat the droning of other pc players, but I'm immensely curious as to why the PC na release feels so heavily shrugged off and neglected by Sega NA. Most players in Japan are playing via PC and a handful are on other platforms, shouldn't Sega be treating the PC launch with a bit more... communication?

Even with the argument of Microsoft being the gateway of PSO2 coming to the states, isn't windows literally a Microsoft product anyways????? Wouldn't that justify the same (slightly muddied) red carpet approach that xbox received for their launch?

@Gumpy366 said in Can we get a legitimate response as to why PC launch feels so neglected?:

I'm not one to repeat the droning of other pc players, but I'm immensely curious as to why the PC na release feels so heavily shrugged off and neglected by Sega NA. Most players in Japan are playing via PC and a handful are on other platforms, shouldn't Sega be treating the PC launch with a bit more... communication?

Even with the argument of Microsoft being the gateway of PSO2 coming to the states, isn't windows literally a Microsoft product anyways????? Wouldn't that justify the same (slightly muddied) red carpet approach that xbox received for their launch?

I have my own opinions about this, but I'll likely keep them to myself. The long and short of my thought process is this.. You buy windows once.. Microsoft gets that money. Past that, they get nothing. PCs can last a very long time. On the other hand, if you buy a console, that's a shot in the arm to their company and therefore they're going to push that method of playing the game.

End of the day.. it was better for them to release it on X-Box first to try to get people to buy more said X-Box consoles.. gives them more cash.

Us PC players, unless we whale, aren't really giving them any monetary value.

Not meant to be a "dig" at Microsoft in any way.. just saying. If they wanna make money, they're going to get more of it from selling consoles for a game release. Considering the game is free.

@AirFox597866915 said in Can we get a legitimate response as to why PC launch feels so neglected?:

Not meant to be a "dig" at Microsoft in any way.. just saying. If they wanna make money, they're going to get more of it from selling consoles for a game release. Considering the game is free.

And selling Windows 10.

@AirFox597866915 I'd imagine that most people will be spending some form of money on the game though. I get that it's free, but I feel like PC players are far more likely to whale than Xbox players.

I suspect some botched market research or misguided agenda towards xbox. If the goal was primarily to make the most money it would have made more sense to prioritize PC where all the players will be.

Nobody is buying a new Xbox to play PSO2. The handful of people that would feel compelled to get in early on Xbox would go get a second hand one.

In all fairness, Microsoft did pony up the money to get this in the West. It's no surprise they will focus on their console first. As for the PC announcements and stuff. The GMs can only go by what is told to them. If you want real answers, you will have to talk to the our esteem Dev Team that they keep in a room locked away from society.

I personally find it weird and telling that Microsoft doesn't see itself as a family. They could have just as easily marketed both Xbox and PC at the same time since it is virtually the same operating system. So do Xbox and PC workers (not the players, its obvious the attitude there) consider each other separate in the Microsoft family? If so that explains the disconnect in advertisements. Heck the PC store for gaming is just shoddy in comparison to Xbox anyway.

Or perhaps Microsoft doesn't feel they have the clout to compete with Steam anyway, so why bother trying to improve their PC library at all. Or maybe, just maybe this game is the flagship for that push (i doubt it.) Regardless Microsoft doesn't seem to care too much about the PC side of gaming and have decided to put 80% of their eggs in the XBox basket. That is what I have observed at least. My opinion is of course, far from any facts.

I think its partly about quarterly earnings and pleasing share holders. Microsoft's stock futures aren't really based as much on gaming side, while xbox is purely on gaming side. While Microsoft and xbox are part of the same corporate entity, each section is evaluated as a separate piece of the puzzle and one divisions performance during a quarter can drag the whole stock on a bear or bull run. Financially its a better yield to invest in hyping the xbox release. That said, feel theres missed marketing opportunities on the xbox release as well, so they just might not be highly invested in the whole thing at all and just saw it as a quick asset grab.

@MaouLinEn said in Can we get a legitimate response as to why PC launch feels so neglected?:

That said, feel theres missed marketing opportunities on the xbox release as well, so they just might not be highly invested in the whole thing at all and just saw it as a quick asset grab.

Theres probably an element of truth to this. Xbox doesn't have very many Japanese exclusives, and I know Microsoft is wanting to improve their image in that department in order to entice some people to switch from Playstation to Xbox. So heres a game they can point to even if it doesnt become super successful.

PSO2's PC release is one that's literally botched every step of the way. Announced in 2012, then cancelled. Re-announced in 2020 as an Xbox timed exclusive. Pre-loading won't be available until the middle of the night when many people are likely to be sleeping.

Sonic crossover event is arriving now 3 months after the movie? Seems odd.

If I had to guess as to why the PC release feels so neglected, it would be based on it's Exclusivity to the Microsoft store period.

Majority of PC players when it comes to Mmorpg's, or just games in general prefer Launchers, such as Steam, and when other launchers/places to find games for the PC come out, there's a huge outcry, as to people only wanted just "one" place to be able to download, and play games.

It took forever for PC players to accept Origin as a place to download games, which then in turn took forever for PC players to accept Ubisoft's launcher, which then spawned every single type of launcher out there, the recent, and biggest outrage being Epic Games launcher.

However, when it came to Mmorpg's, Launchers were nothing BUT a common place to download your games.

That being said, Microsoft Store is probably one of (Of not THE) least place where PC players are likely to get games from. Not only that, Microsoft doesn't really go out of their way to promote their Store, unless they have exclusive known titles, such as State of Decay. I suppose it's becoming a more popular place to get games now though, due to the "Game Pass" being around.

If I also had to take another shot in the dark, which actually isn't too big of a shot in the dark to be honest, the Hype around PSO 2 has been dead for a LONG time. The game had been planned, and talked about a western release for ages before Microsoft decided to pick it up, the game is already 8 years old, and majority of people who wanted to play from the Western Audience already do so on the Japanese version of the game using a translator (and PSO 2 Tweaker), and there's simply no reason to come over to the West to play a game with far less content, and starting over new, compared to a character, or account you might have already spent thousands, if not tens of thousands of hours on.

With the hype being as dry as it is, It's a safe assumption to say, PC players interests lie elsewhere, where as with consoles there's only "so many" games they have access to. I don't think I'd be wrong in saying the console is going to heavily outweigh the playerbase with PSO 2, especially since it's a Microsoft Store Exclusive, which as mentioned earlier, not many PC players are heading to for games to begin with.

While I myself have played PSO 2 (Japanese version), and love the franchise, I already know how quickly content can get old. And after reading the forums for a little bit, and seeing the console version of PSO 2 dying down, it's probably safe to say, much like the western audience on the japanese version of PSO 2, it's going to a very small community, and only a handful of people are actually keeping up to date with this game, and it's news. It just wouldn't make sense to heavily try to over-sell, or advertise a game when you already have some idea of how "big", it's going to be.

This of course it my opinion. However, I've been around since the good old Ultima Online days, and play games regularly (not as much when I was younger), so I think it's safe to say, at least in my opinion, how games are generally advertised, and how well they're going to do, especially since I've kept up to date with PSO2, coming from the Japanese version myself.

I still do plan on playing the heck out of PSO 2 upon the western release tomorrow, I just don't think the playerbase is as big as what everyone on these forums wants, or hopes it to be. It's going to be very small. It would be a different story, if they merged servers with the Japanese Servers. Which who knows, they might end up doing, very unlikely, but we've just entered the Era of "Cross-Play/Platform", so anything is possible.

Long story short- No one is going to Advertise a game, with results they already have a low expectation for, as sad as that may sound.

it is all part of Phil Spencer's plan for selling the xCloud as a service while drawing in new companies to that want to put their games on that market. (Conjecture)

Microsoft has decided to compete against Google Stradia and other streaming, gaming services and seem really invested in the idea.

The server solution for PSO2 NA goes hand-in-hand with that solution as it demonstrates that developers can still manage, update, and control their gaming environment even while a global pandemic threatens the population, forcing people to remain home.

If any of you complaining on here had ANY idea how much work goes into setting up servers and ensuring their stability, particularly when it comes to video games, you'd understand. Do you think it's just a matter of turning on a computer and copying PSO2Server.exe? There's so much to consider, and not just technically! For example, which real-world engineers at Azure are responsible for the servers, at what time, does this add to their workload, do they need to hire more people...

It blows my mind how many armchair experts assume launching a product like this is easy and should have been done faster.

@TrustyPanda said in Can we get a legitimate response as to why PC launch feels so neglected?:

If any of you complaining on here had ANY idea how much work goes into setting up servers and ensuring their stability, particularly when it comes to video games, you'd understand. Do you think it's just a matter of turning on a computer and copying PSO2Server.exe? There's so much to consider, and not just technically! For example, which real-world engineers at Azure are responsible for the servers, at what time, does this add to their workload, do they need to hire more people...

It blows my mind how many armchair experts assume launching a product like this is easy and should have been done faster.

This is why most of the time in free to plays, servers are one piece of hardware, with several "Virtual" servers inside.