Severe underestimation of the immense amount of players joining Ship 02

@SalutexMO That's good for us, and why wouldn't he be? I mean this game back in the day was ahead of it's time. Now it's the type of game (base) that people want. There are very few games like PSO that are widely known. Plus I never seen PSO this popular in the longest of times.

@ERICK001BC said in Severe underestimation of the immense amount of players joining Ship 02:

@SalutexMO That's good for us, and why wouldn't he be? I mean this game back in the day was ahead of it's time. Now it's the type of game (base) that people want. There are very few games like PSO that are widely known. Plus I never seen PSO this popular in the longest of times.

We definitely need another Sci-Fi MMORPG as well. WildStar shut down; Anthem was terrible. Warframe is /shrug, Destiny / 2 are also /shrug

@coldrea

@coldreactive said in Severe underestimation of the immense amount of players joining Ship 02:

Warframe is /shrug,

FF is / Shrug.

Joking, I am not starting that. I love Warframe, but can see it's faults. Wouldn't give it up for this game though, Both Games have their good and bad points. All games do.

@John-Paul-RAGE said in Severe underestimation of the immense amount of players joining Ship 02:

If it gets underestimated, it would be due to those individuals not showing any involvement on any of the platforms the team uses to make decisions.

Oh man, wouldn't it be funny if after all this time of being told "Stop asking for a release date!" it turned out that there was actually a silent majority of PC players who said nothing because that's pretty much the only thing they've been able to ask for months and they were told not to.

Edit - To be clear I really don't think that's the case here. It'd just be funny for PC players to have been told to sit down and shut up for months and then to be blamed for being quiet afterwards.

@SalutexMO said in Severe underestimation of the immense amount of players joining Ship 02:

Any PC player that is serious about playing PSO2, is already playing PSO2 on JP with the english patch. I sincerely doubt that the PC playerbase will even make a dent in the current population. Also, this game has virtually 0 advertisement outside of twitter announcements so...yeah.

Definitely agree with you on the latter point and posted as much on the other topic, but certainly not the former.

As a player to whom a fully English game and a fully English community is important, I have always wanted my first experiences with PSO2 to be on a localised service. That doesn't make me not-serious.

I would suggest to people to temper their expectations over the size of the PC playerbase.

You guys are talking like we are going FFXIV/WOW tier starting tomorrow just because the game is being released on PC like there´s millions of players just excitedly refreshing the Windows/Xbox store just waiting for the PC client to appear.

1. The game is only playable on Windows 10 , which alienates many Free2Play MMO players with less powerful systems.

2. It requires you to go thru more hops than the JP version if you are European and even more so to make any purchase.

3. There has been barely any hype or advertisement for the PC version & most EU sites are not even reporting it due to 2)

4. The horrible and over-greedy monetization is well known at this point even outside this forum.

5. A sizeable amount of PC players are already invested in and spent a lot of $ in PSO2JP

6. Phantasy Star never had a big PC playerbase as the numbers of PSOBB and PSU clearly show.

7. PSO2 is not even making it to TOP 10 in hyped/researched on most MMORPG websites like MMORPG.com which by the way is something i have never seen happen in the past, a day before a new MMORPG´s release.

I am not saying that there is absolutely no chance for PSO2 to become a hit, and as you can imagine, being a long time fan of the series there is nothing that would make me happier than to be wrong in every single aspect.

But the truth is, things are not looking all that stellar compared to even the releases of cheap stolen asset korean MMOS lol.

Let us hope for the best but perhaps put the champagne bottles down until a week from tomorrow, and hey, if i happen to be wrong, i will open one of my grand reserve Rioja wine bottles to celebrate, so let´s hope i am, both because i want PSO2 to succeed and because i sure could go for a cup of Gran Reserva.

But let us be realistic as well.

@IfrianMMO said in Severe underestimation of the immense amount of players joining Ship 02:

The game is only playable on Windows 10 , which alienates many Free2Play MMO players with less powerful systems.

To add to this, the microsoft store exclusivity (a store that is known to be terrible) won't help either.

@IfrianMMO said in Severe underestimation of the immense amount of players joining Ship 02:

There has been barely any hype or advertisement

This is a big one, it's pretty disappointing the lack of advertising for the game, the only video trailers for it are AC scratch related...

I'm sure the game is gonna have a healthy enough population for months to come, I don't think it's going to fail, but I just don't see it getting to the point where the current 3 ships can't handle the amount of new players.

@Ragnawind said in Severe underestimation of the immense amount of players joining Ship 02:

There are nowhere near the millions wanting to play this game. There should definitely be plenty of room for everyone, though, since the server capacity on NA is much larger than JP due to Microsoft Azure.

Also due to the lack of any real advertising, if it was on steam I could see a massive influx, but its on the windows store, I bet most people who may be interstead in it don't even know it exists

Microsoft Store exclusivity doesn't matter because anyone who has Windows 8+ is likely to have a Microsoft Account now. Anyone who has an Xbox account already has a Microsoft account. The only real hoop EU players have to go through is changing their region on their windows OS: https://www.windowscentral.com/how-change-store-region-windows-10

At least to play the base game.

@coldreactive said in Severe underestimation of the immense amount of players joining Ship 02:

Microsoft Store exclusivity doesn't matter because anyone who has Windows 8+ is likely to have a Microsoft Account now. Anyone who has an Xbox account already has a Microsoft account. The only real hoop EU players have to go through is changing their region on their windows OS: https://www.windowscentral.com/how-change-store-region-windows-10

At least to play the base game.

Yes, which automatically makes a lot of services and personalized apps, game platforms and features assume that you are in the US which causes a series of problems and handicaps (or even service blocks) that usually can only be solved by giving said features/programs access to your actual IRL location, which is something many are not willing to.

Also, as far as i know, and do correct me if i am wrong, the game is only playable on Windows 10 regardless so 8.1 users are out of luck.

alt text

Microsoft Store exclusivity doesn't matter

Let's hope everything goes well, but, don't be surprised if we end up seeing people with the game failing to install, failing to download, or restarting the download for no reason (unless PSO2 uses its own launcher to handle the download of the game's data and not the MS store).

I get the feeling it will be possible to copy / paste the installation files from a Win10 PC to a Win7 or 8 PC without any problems. The only thing you need Win10 for is the store front.

@IzzyData said in Severe underestimation of the immense amount of players joining Ship 02:

I get the feeling it will be possible to copy / paste the installation files from a Win10 PC to a Win7 or 8 PC without any problems. The only thing you need Win10 for is the store front.

Games files obtained from the MS store are encrypted and locked in an usually inaccessible folder.

@Ezodagrom said in Severe underestimation of the immense amount of players joining Ship 02:

@IzzyData said in Severe underestimation of the immense amount of players joining Ship 02:

Games files obtained from the MS store are encrypted and locked in an usually inaccessible folder.

I guess we will find out soon, but I have my doubts they will go through the trouble instead of just using what already exists.

I guess we will find out soon, but I have my doubts they will go through the trouble instead of just using what already exists.

That's not up to SEGA, it's just how the MS store handles applications released there, all apps from there are stored in a protected folder.

@Ezodagrom said in Severe underestimation of the immense amount of players joining Ship 02:

Apps are in a Windows Apps hidden folder. Even with Admin privileges, the folder cannot be opened:

alt text

This is the CrunchyRoll app as an example. In order to open the folder, you would need a non-windows OS, like Linux. Taking ownership of it still doesn't let you in the folder. The image above is an image of Microsoft's own Process Viewer application.