Severe underestimation of the immense amount of players joining Ship 02

Okaaaaay.....so I know I have been advertising and promoting Ship 02 a lot but according to a lot of surveys and info I have found...it seems like there's going to be a flood of millions of players trying to join Ship 02.

How many people can each server fit? Is NA prepared for this huge influx of people or will there be huge delays and wait times? Will there be chaos and anger? Are they prepared to handle it all?

There are nowhere near the millions wanting to play this game. There should definitely be plenty of room for everyone, though, since the server capacity on NA is much larger than JP due to Microsoft Azure.

I think this is a severe overestimation of the influx of players that the PC release will bring. As Ragnawind stated, there will be room.

Metrics that would be used to make a decision to increase server capacity doesn't support the few that think there will be a massive influx of players that will overwhelm the current system.

I hope that there will be that many players joining, but there definitely aren't that many who have made their intentions to play the NA version known.

I am going to have a certain level of smug satisfaction if the servers get flooded PC opening day... I will cackle if the servers can't handle the overload. But hey ... many people already playing seem to believe there isn't enough people or hype to warrant any concern, and sega seems to agree. We will see in 2 days who is "right."

@Seed said in Severe underestimation of the immense amount of players joining Ship 02:

I am going to have a certain level of smug satisfaction if the servers get flooded PC opening day... I will cackle if the servers can't handle the overload. But hey ... many people already playing seem to believe there isn't enough people or hype to warrant any concern, and sega seems to agree. We will see in 2 days who is "right."

I'll be pretty mad if my friends can't get in. I rather they overestimate the amount of people rather than underestimate and fail severely which gives a lot of people a negative impression of the game.

@Home-Dog said in Severe underestimation of the immense amount of players joining Ship 02:

I think this is a severe overestimation of the influx of players that the PC release will bring. As Ragnawind stated, there will be room.

You underestimate PC players and their numbers.

alt text

If it gets underestimated, it would be due to those individuals not showing any involvement on any of the platforms the team uses to make decisions.

CBT showed that they are not going to open more space than they need. They will only add on once it is needed.

So if these hundreds of thousands of people are suddenly going to play Wednesday, they can only blame themselves if they have to wait longer for not displaying their interest to the developers.

@John-Paul-RAGE said in Severe underestimation of the immense amount of players joining Ship 02:

If it gets underestimated, it would be due to those individuals not showing any involvement on any of the platforms the team uses to make decisions.

CBT showed that they are not going to open more space than they need. They will only add on once it is needed.

So if these hundreds of thousands of people are suddenly going to play Wednesday, they can only blame themselves if they have to wait longer for not displaying their interest to the developers.

CBT which was only hosted on Xbox? = ,=

They can't be stupid if they have been making mostly good choices so far.

@John-Paul-RAGE Your level of facetiousness can occasionally be entertaining. I love your ability to twist situations around to fit narratives that are ultimately comical given the over all context of things. Keep it up. I think you are really onto something there.

@Seed you can call it that if you like, but opening more ships is at the discretion of the development team based on the need to do so. They aren't going to arbitrarily open up all 6 ships because 5 people on the forums are concerned about the server capacity.

They probably have the right number of ships. MMO launches are always tricky because the true test is how many players the game retains after a month. Opening new ships that result in ghost towns after a few months is a knee jerk reaction and isn't fair to the players that went there, although I recognize login queues kinda suck as well.

I would like to point out that if you were to put every single Western PSOBB and PSU PC player together in a pile you would not reach half a million players in total (counting every single player ever) and that the highest peak of active online players for PSO was 27.000 at once (and that is counting console) and even less for PSU.

Take it as you will.

I would be more worried about the code itself retaining stability for PC like the JP servers. Xbox doesn't play nice with the code so I'm wondering if the PC client will be running the original code or Xbox code, which if it's Xbox we gonna see crashes just from heap issues lol

@Noctosis said in Severe underestimation of the immense amount of players joining Ship 02:

I would be more worried about the code itself retaining stability for PC like the JP servers. Xbox doesn't play nice with the code so I'm wondering if the PC client will be running the original code or Xbox code, which if it's Xbox we gonna see crashes just from heap issues lol

The western PC version uses the exact same data as the XBOX Version, since it is a Play Anywhere title.