PC Launch Server Concerns

How do Sega servers work? Can a ship make as many blocks as it wants to account for the number or players on the ship, or will there be some sort of Queue if there are too many people on one ship?

I ask this because with the launch on Windows10, there will be a huge increase in the amount of players joining as the fan base is mostly PC and if ships have a limit then 3 ships are not enough for the mass of PC players coming.

If ships have no limit and there will be no Queue then there is no problem, but if ships have a limit then there will be a plroblem.

What JP did at launch was temporarily lock character creation in the more populated ships so players would start on less populated ships. They can open ships 4, 5 and/or 6 if really needed.

There shouldn't be much of an issue. Right now, apparently the blocks on Ships 1-3 don't come anywhere near capacity and it is only a couple blocks on each that even have a lot of players at once. I think there were at least 20 blocks per ship. We also can't really compare it to JP, since they are using Microsoft Azure for the servers in NA, which has a lot more capacity than JP does.

There were issues with CBT on Day 1, but after that fix, they were fine for the rest of CBT and there were no issues with server load at OBT launch or official launch on XBOX One. They might open up one ship if the current 3 get full too quickly, but there don't even really seem to be that many people that will play on NA servers, considering all of their social media only has a couple tens of thousands, rather than in the hundreds of thousands or millions of followers. As of the time of this post, all of their social media combined is 63,666. To potentially cut out repeat subscribers, it is best to go with the social platform with the most followers, which is twitter at 42,925. Not all of them will actually play or be on all the time, so there shouldn't be much to worry about

@Ragnawind said in PC Launch Server Concerns:

Right now, apparently the blocks on Ships 1-3 don't come anywhere near capacity

Unless it was fixed, some blocks would erroneously display as empty despite having like 100 people on them. (Which is above the maximum non-premium allowed on JP at least.)

@coldreactive On JP I think it was found a few years ago that the free part of a block could hold 150 players and the premium part 50 players, but I'm not sure.

I think most of the time when I look at the blocks list on ship 2 only the first 1-3 blocks show a high population with all the others being almost empty aside from ones possibly being used as an alliance gathering spot.

I don't think we need to worry too much about a huge influx of players.

Between the store availability and the communication, almost everyone I've spoken to who I haven't met while waiting for the PC release has no idea it's happening at all. I've tried to mention it to everyone who might be interested but I'm sure I'll have missed some friends that I didn't think would be, and there are way more people like that out there I don't know in the first place.

If I had to guess, I expect there'll be a noticeable increase of new people for a week or so, but no server-filling flood. My real concern is this may mean Ship 4 won't be opened during maintenance to give new players the fresh shard and economy that some of us have been desperate for.

@Miraglyth said in PC Launch Server Concerns:

Between the store availability and the communication, almost everyone I've spoken to who I haven't met while waiting for the PC release has no idea it's happening at all.

This is why I've been trying my hardest to get people within FFXIV (IE: actually in-game) to find out about it. I've actually reached at least 5 people who didn't know about it, while I've reached at least three who have and say they're hyped. This is, however, on the Crystal Data Center, which has far more Roleplayers than it does raiders.

@coldreactive said in PC Launch Server Concerns:

Between the store availability and the communication, almost everyone I've spoken to who I haven't met while waiting for the PC release has no idea it's happening at all.

This is why I've been trying my hardest to get people within FFXIV (IE: actually in-game) to find out about it. I've actually reached at least 5 people who didn't know about it, while I've reached at least three who have and say they're hyped. This is, however, on the Crystal Data Center, which has far more Roleplayers than it does raiders.

Why do you assume that roleplaying excludes raiding?

But to add to that total I know at least 25 people on Crystal that are waiting impatiently for PSO2 to launch.

@Lisaan said in PC Launch Server Concerns:

@coldreactive said in PC Launch Server Concerns:

Why do you assume that roleplaying excludes raiding?

But to add to that total I know at least 25 people on Crystal that are waiting impatiently for PSO2 to launch.

We do have RP community going on in the discord and all of us are hoping they'll open Ship 4 at least to avoid possible congestion that'll likely happen from 1 to 3 when gate opens. Since that is our designated home Ship atm