Regarding the character height restrictions

Thanks everyone for sharing your opinions so far. I'm off to bed, but I'll try to respond to any more posts that this thread gets when I can.

@Wiibu good night ^.^/

I am fairly confident that the ESRB Ratng will return to M either on the 26th or when we start catching up to JP.

Other than that, I don't think the rating has any bearing on it. It could be something with Microsoft. Either way, the only reason this was even noticed/an issue is due to individuals who tried to replicate characters they already possess on a different version of this game.

Using that reasoning, it is very likely that the decision won't be reversed. It might be possible to force a shorter character on the PC version, though.

@Wiibu This dude seriously just typed 5 paragraphs to complain that he can't make his character childlike enough.. The reason is that they're not catering to pedophiles. Japan has a lower average height. So 4'6" isn't as short to them as it is to an American audience. 5'0" is still well below the national average in the US.

@AceSpider said in Regarding the character height restrictions:

@Wiibu This dude seriously just typed 5 paragraphs to complain that he can't make his character childlike enough.. The reason is that they're not catering to pedophiles. Japan has a lower average height. So 4'6" isn't as short to them as it is to an American audience. 5'0" is still well below the national average in the US.

no, i think you got it wrong here.intensions aside, the west does indeed view things differently like loli and chibi in japan. it's not so much about laws to me, but rather what's seen as "appropiate" in my eyes by the west, whereas the east likes those things more commonly.

i'm personally usually picking a character my own size or what i feel like would make the characters traits show, like big ass casts.

it's not that japanese people are shorter in general.it's a bit of a habit for them to use cute and small characters occasionally.

Yes, it's absolutely disgusting. The amount of people jumping to his defence is so worrying. I am actually having second thoughts whether this games audience is the right one for me.

Whoa, whoa, whoa.. I think you guys need to calm down. Dude wants to be small, let him be small. I hate to see that we're already trying to shame people for not making their characters 9 foot tall.

If someone wanting to make a short character makes you "second guess" playing the game then you may not want to play it. Pretty silly reasoning honestly. Same goes for FF and nearly any mmo coming outside the US.

@AirFox597866915 He's completely BS'ing when he says that the reason that he's mad is that their decision isn't logical. Their decision is completely logical. Microsoft is not going to foot a game on their dime, when you can sexualize a character that is very clearly a child or could be seen as a child. Period.

Now what his motivations are for throwing a complete fit and dancing around the issue for 20 minutes are, who knows? But... Height is a relative thing anyways. If it's just about being small just move the slider all the way down and all the sudden you're very short, because the only frame of reference for what is tall and what is short is other players. He's getting caught up on specific amounts of centimeters in his post. It seems like hes trying to make a child as far as I'm concerned.

Just doesn't make any sense that he keeps claiming it detracts from the game. If he isn't going to play this game because he cannot make his character a foot or whatever shorter he was never going to play this game in the long term to begin with. Making a short character in this game is not a game defining characteristic of this game. I am usually not okay with censorship in any types of media but this is a change I could careless they made. The way he is arguing this is borderline being a troll. What other motivation would Sega have other than the esrb rating? Why would they lie about this?

@AirFox597866915 He's completely BS'ing when he says that the reason that he's mad is that their decision isn't logical. Their decision is completely logical. Microsoft is not going to foot a game on their dime, when you can sexualize a character that is very clearly a child or could be seen as a child. Period.

Now what his motivations are for throwing a complete fit and dancing around the issue for 20 minutes are, who knows? But... Height is a relative thing anyways. If it's just about being small just move the slider all the way down and all the sudden you're very short, because the only frame of reference for what is tall and what is short is other players. He's getting caught up on specific amounts of centimeters in his post. It seems like hes trying to make a child as far as I'm concerned.

Be careful with what you say, I got threatened by a GM for violating terms of service for saying what you did. Just FYI. The GM's seem to be siding with his view just a heads up. As someone who has never played the game, it is eye opening on what I am going to expect once the game goes live..

I personally am not interested in making a character that short aside from a joke, but it does leave a bad taste in my mouth that they had someone on staff get paid to make a feature worse. Not sure what it says about the games future.

The Lalafell race from FFXIV is an apt comparison; they have toddler proportions and theres no discernible controversy or M rating there.

Versus here, a short character is literally the same character model as anyone else, just shrunk down. A 6'0 guy with a mustache shrunk down to 4'8 isnt suddenly a 'child', people.

Good luck with the ad hominem attacks OP - I see you will need it.

@SoppierHades8

@AirFox597866915 I think the issue is how OP framed his position. There's nothing necessarily wrong with have a character of any particular size or proportion, it is just that OP linked a creepy screenshot in their argument.

@Zipzo Banning Nabokov's Lolita, and treating it like a manual, seems absurd.
Throughout the entire book, even w/ H. H. being the unreliable narrator, he is made to look rather pathetic and depraved. Even in The Enchanter, a more horrific version of Lolita, the situation is too unrealistic, and the portrayal grim, to be seen as a 'manual'. I am surprised at how grey hentai depicting minors is in the US when child marriage is legal in all but what, 3 states?

There is no Lalafells in this game despite them doing a FF14 crossover before in the JP version.