Regarding the character height restrictions

@Zipzo said in Regarding the character height restrictions:

@IfrianMMO said in Regarding the character height restrictions:

The massive difference is that PSO2 characters can and are (In JP) shaped and purposefully edited to look like and have the proportions of actual realistic young children, and equippted with lewd gear.

This is made even worse by the fact that overtime, they have added clothes, costumes and accessories that are worn, in real life, by youngsers, students and literal children, adding to the issue.

The Western SJW media would have a massive field trip with PSO2 if this was easy, ready and available in our version and it could literally spell the death and malignment of the series forever for it´s Western audience.

This may be both ridiculous and unfair but it is also very real and that kind of media and communities do sadly have a lot of power and say in today´s society and they do have the power to cause a lot of damage to a game´s reputation.

I am personally against the censorship for moral reasons and because of the slippery slope issue, but ultimately i can understand why it happened.

Everyone knows i am the first one in this forum to call PSO2NA for it´s misgivings and from an objectie point of view, i am upset at any and all censoring by default.

But i am also not blind to the reason and the fact they had little precious options if they wanted this game not to die before it had a chance to even live, and to not become the center of attention for all the wrong and potentially lethal reasons.

100% this guy's post.

I think you're both severely overestimating 'unnamed media website's' power to 'ruin' games when games like TERA and Black Desert Online are around and doing well with more egregious content. Not to mention that if some dirtrag site wanted to slander this game, a couple centimeters on a height meter wont stop them.

@SweetChilliHeat said in Regarding the character height restrictions:

The ESRB thing doesn't really hold any water; just seems like damage control because more people noticed than they were anticipating IMO. I sincerely doubt the ESRB has different rules that come into play depending on if the character is over or under 5ft.

Most likely it was an internal decision at either the Microsoft or Sega western branch, because as we see from some people in this topic, xenophobia is a thing. So implementing this restriction may have seemed like a good idea at the time. But the fact that this is one of the most popular thread on this board makes me think otherwise; this game doesn't need to give itself any handicaps out of the gate, and fans of Japanese media are becoming increasingly sensitive and unaccepting of changes like this, and those same people are usually the people that 'whale' a game.

Exactly. It's incredibly annoying that they didn't have a poll to see what the community wanted. They just changed it and gave us a BS answer about ESRB when that can't possibly be the reason. Stuff like this annoys me to no end. While it isn't the end of the world, allowing them to change games like this may lead to them changing even more things in the future.

NA disapproves of dwarfism it seems, so much for my Brad Williams cosplay. Also this pretty much confirms the ACTUAL little kid costumes for JP (it is a costume that gives you kindergarden proportions + little kid school uniform) won't be making it here on the NA servers. Not that I really care. Just pointing out that "We will be getting everything" is not the whole truth... We will be getting "what NA censors feel is appropriate" is the better truth. aka "It will be localized."

@Wiibu I'm way more concerned with symbol arts than the characters. Technically since the game is rated T, clothing is suggestive but the symbol arts is explicit sexual content. People can't stream with the symbol arts and my parents wouldn't let me play if they saw that, I'm not concerned about people running around in swimsuits lol.

With pc hitting the SAs will most likely get worse if they are able to upload SAs and use a program to covert pics to SAs

there is an option to turn off SA ... Smart people will do that if they are streaming in the lobby or public missions.

@Swim Yeah. Symbol arts can definitely be abused. All we can do is report and try and get the people abusing it banned. It sucks, but I'd rather leave it as it is since more people use it for fun and memes than those that use it for inappropriate things. As Likaizam said, you can turn them off as well.

@Likaizam @Wiibu Thanks, I'll definitely do that. Only 3 more days yay! ^.^

@John-Paul-RAGE said in Regarding the character height restrictions:

@Wiibu that doesn't really make sense. If that were the case, players on Japan would have grown taller after their last update.

When I asked why we dropped to T on April 15th I did not get a response. Haven't gotten a response about when we are getting bumped back up to M.

Haven't gotten a response regarding the terms of service either, how the date is blank, some of the wording in it etc. The date is supposed to be there so it can be used as a reference for when the ToS is updated.

So many unknowns about certain details of this version.

Regarding that... CERO and ESRB have different standards and it appears both of their ratings have different circumstances.

Some minor changes have shown that the IARC system which is used to provide PSO2NA a rating, did not cover the CERO rating system (Thanks to IARC, PSO2 has a ESRB, PEGI, ACB, GSRR (Taiwan) ratings... but not CERO). This leads me to believe that PSO2JP's rating is handled independently of whatever it is they are doing with NA so the CERO age rating increase might not have impacted PSO2's NA rating as much as we thought.

Rating info is public for the ACB (Australian Classification Board) which shows that the rating was applied as far back as the 6th of January 2020, so my personal theory is that the initial "M" rating was accounting for the game in an uncut form and SEGA has (for some reason) been working to get the game's rating reduced to "T" with things like the height restrictions and such (the M rating therefore representing the state of the game prior to these changes).

Symbol art abusers are easy to deal with, just report them and let them enjoy the 850. Send the screenshot to Microsoft and it gets even better.

@Leonkh99 I guess it will be a waiting game at this point to see if the rating changes again in the near future. I thought the M aligning with the "official release" of the JP version upgrading to Cero D was spot on, but perhaps it could be something else entirely.

@John-Paul-RAGE I thought so too that maybe all the ratings are done at once using the IARC but it appears that it isn't the case; SEGA (through the IARC) did not apply for a CERO rating for PSO2.

@Wiibu prudes need to get over a midget in a bathing suit, for fucks sake.

@SweetChilliHeat said in Regarding the character height restrictions:

The massive difference is that PSO2 characters can and are (In JP) shaped and purposefully edited to look like and have the proportions of actual realistic young children, and equippted with lewd gear.

This is made even worse by the fact that overtime, they have added clothes, costumes and accessories that are worn, in real life, by youngsers, students and literal children, adding to the issue.

The Western SJW media would have a massive field trip with PSO2 if this was easy, ready and available in our version and it could literally spell the death and malignment of the series forever for it´s Western audience.

This may be both ridiculous and unfair but it is also very real and that kind of media and communities do sadly have a lot of power and say in today´s society and they do have the power to cause a lot of damage to a game´s reputation.

I am personally against the censorship for moral reasons and because of the slippery slope issue, but ultimately i can understand why it happened.

Everyone knows i am the first one in this forum to call PSO2NA for it´s misgivings and from an objectie point of view, i am upset at any and all censoring by default.

But i am also not blind to the reason and the fact they had little precious options if they wanted this game not to die before it had a chance to even live, and to not become the center of attention for all the wrong and potentially lethal reasons.

100% this guy's post.

I think you're both severely overestimating 'unnamed media website's' power to 'ruin' games when games like TERA and Black Desert Online are around and doing well with more egregious content. Not to mention that if some dirtrag site wanted to slander this game, a couple centimeters on a height meter wont stop them.

Tera and BDO have had to censor things for their western releases too.

100% this guy's post.

Lets be real here, its not the bogey man SJWs, its conservatives and their wholesome christian beliefs that only benefit them agendas that mostly cause the issues of censorship, its the same people that blame school shootings on video games and Marilyn Manson, the same conservatives that tried to get Mortal Kombat banned. At least here in the U.S. You know the greedy holier than though politicians that xXx stole the car from in triple x movie lol

@Novaline sorry I miss read the post