Regarding the character height restrictions

@Leonkh99 yeah, from what I was reading on the IARC website, Japan hasn't agreed to participate in it yet. I am curious who submitted it through them, then. The only reason to go through IARC is to make it easier to release outside of the ESRB's audience.

Phil Spencer is an advocate of the IARC system. Maybe he suggested it?

@Lord-Papers Strange that you target a specific political group in your assumptions. The APA has consistently gone back and forth about video game violence for decades and certainly aren't unanimously Christian or conservative.

Also, what some what call "blue states" have made laws limiting sex offenders from being able to play online games at all.

Even further... have you read the Terms of Service? This came straight from Japan. Registered sex offenders aren't allowed to own a SEGA account or use their services.

Not claiming anyone here falls under that category, but it doesn't lend credibility to your political agenda.

@John-Paul-RAGE , according to the Australian Classification Board, It was Sega who arranged the IARC:

https://www.classification.gov.au/titles/phantasy-star-online-2

Publisher and Production Company are listed as:

株式会社セガゲームス = SEGA Games Co., Ltd.

Other Sega titles don't have IARC as the "Applicant" though:

https://www.classification.gov.au/titles/sakura-wars

... well except, Panzer Dragoon Remake that is:

https://www.classification.gov.au/titles/panzer-dragoon-remake

@Leonkh99 ESRB needs to step it up. Or the IARC needs to add on their site to have their ratings, the website is very outdated.

@Lord-Papers said in Regarding the character height restrictions:

@Wiibu prudes need to get over a midget in a bathing suit, for fucks sake.

Yeah. It's dumb for people to assume that being short in a fantasy/sci-fi game means that a character is a kid. It sucks that if I say that I want the ability to be shorter (just the minimum that JP already has), people just call me a pedophile... I think my argument makes sense, but people keep telling me that not being able to create the character that I want shouldn't stop me from enjoying the game. That is such a narrow way of thinking imo. The "it doesn't matter to me, so it shouldn't matter to you" standpoint baffles me every time I see it.

In the end, you guys can try to justify your usage of child-like characters with realistically child-like proportions and somehow by coincidence, equipped with Bluesy items, all you want.

And perhaps you are even being honest and innocent about it.

But ultimately, we all know that there are a lot of people who would and will use it for all the wrong reasons.

And to those of you who try to justify it with nearly a decade old games such as Tera or FFXIV:

Apples to Oranges.

Games such as Tera or FFXIV released in a time when media was not as brutal about these things and the shorter races they feature such as the Elin or Lalafell are hardly child-like in their shapes and features.

It is not the same, you cannot use it as a parallel or as an excuse because it is absolutely not the same situation.

@Wiibu

If not being able to enjoy the game because you cannot be 4ft in NA prevents you from having fun in other, more important, parts of the game.... you should just play on the JP server.

@IfrianMMO I don't know what Tera you played, but Elin look as close to children as any of the characters I've seen in this game. You can argue that Lalafell are closer to gnomish humanoids, but not Elin. Elin are straight up loli bunny girls. Also, making a character half a foot taller is such a dumb way of trying to fix the problem if Sega/Microsoft thinks this is one. There are kids that are 5 feet tall irl... I'd also like to point out that This game is only 2 years newer than FFXIV 1.0 and 1 year newer than Tera. The games are very much from the same era.

@Novaline Again, I'm still going to play the game and will be able to enjoy it. I'm not saying this is a make or break for me. I just think the change is a really dumb way of fixing the proposed problem. Also, I'd rather play in NA for ping and localization reasons.

@Wiibu said in Regarding the character height restrictions:

@IfrianMMO I don't know what Tera you played, but Elin look as close to children as any of the characters I've seen in this game.

Not even close.

Elin have a very eschewed and unnatural body proportion and ratio/size of their limbs, torax and head, and do not look at all like any young human would actually look like for real, even without taking into account their animalistic features and other factors.

PSO2 Allows you to modify and shape your body to many degrees to the point where you can, and people are, very accurate, or as accurate as a game can be, to a young human, and it also has the costumes, accressories, voice packs, eyes and features to go with it.

Apples to oranges, you really cannot compare.

For someone who defends the purity of shorter characters and how you cannot assume short characters are children, it is kind of funny that i need to explain this to you.

To be perfectly clear, Elin were censored quite heavily, a good majority of their outfits had to get tweaks for the Western version.

@IfrianMMO Are you serious? You came at me with: @IfrianMMO said in Regarding the character height restrictions:

In the end, you guys can try to justify your usage of child-like characters with realistically child-like proportions and somehow by coincidence, equipped with Bluesy items, all you want.

Right out of the gate, you insinuated that people that want shorter characters are likely trying to justify wanting to play as a kid and dress them up in skimpy clothing. So, you immediately went on the attack. I tried to ignore that part, as it's irrational and straight up fallacious. Then, when i disagree with you on the Elin point (which is entirely subjective), you become snarky and say "it is kind of funny that i need to explain this to you." I'm fine with you disagreeing with me, but being an ass about it is not constructive to the discussion in the slightest. If you keep acting like this, I'm going to report you.

@Zipzo Yep.

Whatever reason they had is no good reason at all. They didn't even do a good job adjusting the advance sliders because now it looks funny that it stops adjusting the character's height about 85% of the way when you try to go all the way down. You could clearly tell it wasn't meant to do that in the first place. Bring back the Smart Inner while you're at it Segac. -_-;

Okay guys, I noticed that this thread is getting out of the civilized level and for sure this will continue to flame. Therefore, locking this thread now folks!