Do Guys Make Better Looking Female Characters Than Girls?

@Duchess-May Heh, was going to rebut your claim, but it looks like female gamers, though highly attracted to fantasy MMOs, tend to stay away from sci-fi ones.

By what I can tell, sci-fi settings are usually more egalitarian than fantasy ones, so you would think the opposite would be true... I wonder if it was just an unrepresentative sample, or what's going on there.

https://quanticfoundry.com/2017/01/19/female-gamers-by-genre/

(Can't believe I'm typing this..)

As a female player, personally, I like sci-fi moreso than fantasy. To be honest, it has nothing to do with gender, again, it's personal preference. I think fantasy is just an overdone genre for video-games and other media.

I guess I'll bite and post a picture of my character from JP3wNReeq.png

@Novaline

I like the scarf thingy.

Plus Blue and black always a cool combo. I feel the sci-fi is only the story part and the lore. When I went to take down my first dragon in PSE1&2 in the Forrest, I never thought to myself I wasn't in a fantasy world. I think My sister feels the same way honestly. But I guess I can see the coloration between Science fiction based now over fantasy. Honestly We just love the game no matter what scenario they had gone with.

@ERICK001BC said in Do Guys Make Better Looking Female Characters Than Girls?:

@Zarozian said in Do Guys Make Better Looking Female Characters Than Girls?:

@ERICK001BC said in Do Guys Make Better Looking Female Characters Than Girls?:

@Zipzo said in Do Guys Make Better Looking Female Characters Than Girls?:

There might actually be some truth to the statement if you think about it from a psychological perspective, and I'll do my best to elaborate.

Heterosexual Men make their characters exclusively through that of the male gaze, and that essentially allows them to portray their personal fantasy of the "perfect" woman on to their avatars. While this can definitely vary from man to man, there's a general level of appeal on the wider scale that will be noticed in trends due to this universal truth.

Heterosexual women however wouldn't have the exact same perspective as they do not lust for women in the same way a heterosexual man might, and so they might make their characters either in the vision of themselves, or portray their fantasies of what they in particular would like about their own perfect self. This obviously is not always going to align with the wider male fantasy of the perfect woman.

None of this argument accounts for people who just like to make completely alien or absurd looking characters with no intention of making them attractive, of course lol.

Sounds like you read Desmon Morris's the Naked Ape. (Very Good read if anyone is interested about a zooologist looking at humans as he does any other animal in the wild.)

But it does touch on the factor that makeup and a lot of males are responsible for what is acceptable and high fashion. Not touching the male masculinity verb in fe"male" language.

You seem fun to talk to. If you join ship 02 we could Google at some traps together. o 3o

Thank you, I think I'll stay on ship 1. I am an old man and I don't think I have the stamina to move all my character stuff to a new ship. It is what it is.

As for traps, I do like reverse traps, Example Lucina from Fire Emblem Awakening. (Tomboys are cool to.) But I am more into the shy girl type or the sociopath.

Whatever you say then, old man. ;>

@Nersius said in Do Guys Make Better Looking Female Characters Than Girls?:

@Duchess-May Heh, was going to rebut your claim, but it looks like female gamers, though highly attracted to fantasy MMOs, tend to stay away from sci-fi ones.

By what I can tell, sci-fi settings are usually more egalitarian than fantasy ones, so you would think the opposite would be true... I wonder if it was just an unrepresentative sample, or what's going on there.

https://quanticfoundry.com/2017/01/19/female-gamers-by-genre/

What the heck is Match 3? Family Simulator? Really?

These types of statistics are never accurate depending on how they did this research, how many people they did it with, and where they did it.

Now I am wondering why my microsoft account is different from the one I usually use....

@Novaline said in Do Guys Make Better Looking Female Characters Than Girls?:

(Can't believe I'm typing this..)

As a female player, personally, I like sci-fi moreso than fantasy. To be honest, it has nothing to do with gender, again, it's personal preference. I think fantasy is just an overdone genre for video-games and other media.

I guess I'll bite and post a picture of my character from JP3wNReeq.png

Okay fixed! ;D

And hey your character looks like your avatar! ;D

Are you a Cast too by any chance? ;>

As a female 3d model designer I felt a bit annoyed at this thread. Many women work in the game industry and anime industry, its not a matter of a gender being better at designing characters, those that apply detail to their work in general create better work. Statisticly women are more thorough and detail oriented then men, spend more time on fashion, and focus more on aesthetics. Mixed with less females playing a particular game genre, you are conflating your own bias and beliefs on a gender split of the population. If an equal amount of players of every gender played, you would either get equal numbers or skewed towards those that are more detail oriented i.e. females. This is not stating a superiority though, as those that apply same level of detail in their work of any gender get the same level of results.

Also to draw another line of bias, many popular NSFW adult artist are female, and gender has no impact on being able to make cute attractive characters. Though I will admit some bias here as I'm mostly a lesbian and do a lot of NSFW model designing aimed at lgbtq+ audience.

@MaouLinEn said in Do Guys Make Better Looking Female Characters Than Girls?:

As a female 3d model designer I felt a bit annoyed at this thread. Many women work in the game industry and anime industry, its not a matter of a gender being better at designing characters, those that apply detail to their work in general create better work. Statistically, women are more thorough and detail oriented then men, spend more time on fashion, and focus more on aesthetics. Mixed with less females playing a particular game genre, you are conflating your own bias and beliefs on a gender split of the population. If an equal amount of players of every gender played, you would either get equal numbers or skewed towards those that are more detail oriented i.e. females. This is not stating a superiority though, as those that apply same level of detail in their work of any gender get the same level of results.

Also to draw another line of bias, many popular NSFW adult artist are female, and gender has no impact on being able to make cute attractive characters. Though I will admit some bias here as I'm mostly a lesbian and do a lot of NSFW model designing aimed at lgbtq+ audience.

Interesting. I never knew about that but I have some doubts about females being making up the majority NSFW adult artists. But as for this thread it is just a simple question which doesn't imply anything you seem to think it may imply. It's just for fun. = 3=

And yeah, everyone is kind of biased. It's what makes conflict fun.

@Zarozian Not claiming a majority, I said many popular artist.

@Zarozian Not claiming a majority, I said many popular artist.

Oho! Name a few of them! I need to know! ;D

Although, I think these artists might only be popular in your circles. I'd be surprised if I know any that you name. =/

@Zarozian

My character on JP was a Newman. On NA, I plan on maining a F CAST.

@Nuebot said in Do Guys Make Better Looking Female Characters Than Girls?:

"Better" is entirely subjective. Being able to design a character is not determined by your gender or sex, but people typically design characters that appeal to their own sense of aesthetic or interests rather than appealing to others.

This person speaks truth. A lot of people often find characters I make quite "pretty" or "beautiful," rather than "adorable" or "cute." Though some people tend to say "cute" interchangeably with "pretty." I'm not one of those people though, I use "cute" when I think of "adorable" or actually "cute" rather than "pretty" or "beautiful." Which is how it was pretty much always used until the late 90s.

I also often "color match" my characters and their attire, which often causes people to think they're aesthetically pleasing. This is something more so I learned about in school and some of the extra curricular art classes I took in middle school and not to mention my desire to arrange things in optimal ways has caused me to think of ways things can still look aesthetically pleasing while still being arranged in a functional way.

A lot of RPGs that have town building mechanics or "NPC recruitment" systems to have them be placed in parts of a ship, airship, etc. (IE: Suikoden series, or Breath of Fire II) also taught me a lot about this.

As a female 3d model designer I felt a bit annoyed at this thread. Many women work in the game industry and anime industry, its not a matter of a gender being better at designing characters, those that apply detail to their work in general create better work. Statisticly women are more thorough and detail oriented then men, spend more time on fashion, and focus more on aesthetics. Mixed with less females playing a particular game genre, you are conflating your own bias and beliefs on a gender split of the population. If an equal amount of players of every gender played, you would either get equal numbers or skewed towards those that are more detail oriented i.e. females. This is not stating a superiority though, as those that apply same level of detail in their work of any gender get the same level of results.

I also feel annoyance just by reading the title and the question of the thread. Maybe it's just the snark comments of "lol what females" that really turns my mood sour. Instead of it being a gender thing, the thread would of better of being a character show-off thread.

@Zarozian requesting names is somewhat insulting as it denotes a portent of disbelief and demand of proof, it also hints at bating, but if u want an example of a successful female artist check out sakimichan, last i heard she makes $50k a month

@Novaline I mean, from negative experiences with guys in games, I long gave up being social in mmos and just stick with my gamer fam. Eventually u adapt to zone it out mostly, but it still gets annoying from time to time.