Accessory recommendations?

So typing is kind of a big deal in PSO2, not just for chatting but for Personal Shop searching, keyboard hotkeys, shortcuts, etc. And while a USB keyboard is functional it's not as quick and convenient as a chatpad.

So, I was wondering if any Xbox One gamers here could recommend a good, dependable, budget-friendly (preferably around $20) chatpad. May spring a little more if it includes volume controls and mic toggle/mute built in.

And please don't recommend "Old Skool." Yes, it's very budget-friendly but it's also junk. I already have one and while the keyboard itself is functional there's no audio. I can't remember if I had that issue with the original controller (probably was and that's why it was in the box and forgotten for a couple years) but with the newer controllers, there's no audio, despite the pad including a fold-out 3.5mm plug.

Also looking for a good headset. Currently have a Nubwo headset but the earpiece volume control is wonky to adjust, having the mute switch ON the mic and under a wind screen is a horrible design, and it's been having issues with the audio cutting out on one side unless I have the volume cranked to uncomfortable levels. I had bought another, newer, supposedly more 'high-end" model form the same brand and the audio was janked straight out of the box. Absolutely love the feel of the Nubwo headsets, they're super comfortable so I'm looking for something similar in that respect, but clearly they haven't got the technical aspect locked down. So I'm looking for a budget-friendly headset with good audio (when it worked, the Nubwo had superb sound), preferably with audio controls on the cord, and something that's not going to break within a couple months.

I've been scouring Amazon hoping to find something by looking at the reviews but they're always a mixed bag with some people saying it's the absolute best product they've ever purchased and it's so life-changing for them I can't help but think "paid actor" while other reviews read, well, just like mine above "junk straight out of the box, barely even passable let alone functional," or flat out "they advertised an Xbox One product but they sent me one for the 360," and even "this product is so poorly designed it actually broke my controller."

So, and suggestions, recommendations (both what I should consider and ones I should avoid) would be appreciated.

Edit: In an effort to simplify things I've got a quick list of what I need from each accessory.

Chatpad:

Budget-friendly (under $25, maybe up to $30 IF it has volume and mic controls built in, better still if it has programmable buttons I could use as single-press access to personal quarters or a set command, such as "uioff" to disable the UI, or for single-press screenshots).

MUST work with newer XB1 controller (got one from the "Custom Lab")

MUST work with 3.5mm headset for game AND chat audio (that's the issue I'm having with the Old Skool brand pad I have now, it might just be a bad unit but I'd need convincing that it's worth buying another one).

MUST have a keyboard that recognizes holding down the key as holding down a button (as opposed to registering it as a single button press or as repeatedly pressing and releasing the button, as either of these behaviors would not allow it to work for charging PAs or Techs).

Headset:

Again, budget friendly (under $35, preferably closer to $20)

Comfortable. Going to be playing for hours at a time, and I have a large head (hat size XL, actually).

In-line audio controls. The one I've got has the volume control on the earpiece and the mic mute switch on the mic and under the windscreen, both very inconvenient locations).

MUST work with or without the chatpad plugged in, so 3.5mm jack preferred as I don't want to be adding too much bulk to the controller.

MUST work off just the controller. I don't want nor need any extra cords or ridiculous USB-powered LED light shows. I'm not hosting a rave, I'm trying to play a game. Don't need the extra bells and whistles.

Honestly I had this and I paid $20 for it an it did everything I needed. https://www.amazon.com/Xbox-Chatpad-Chat-Headset-plugs-directly/dp/B0136JPA56/ref=sr_1_1?crid=12EQIOCH9UKYZ&dchild=1&keywords=xbox+chatpad&qid=1589600426&sprefix=Xbox+catpad%2Caps%2C131&sr=8-1 It's been selling out because of This game and since the Quarantine happened. I honestly Stopped using it because I found it easier to connect a usb and use a wireless keyboard for typing. Also helps to have the xbox app on phone. My keyboard was like 15 and came with a mouse from bestbuy.

As for headset, I am actually surprised at how good the quality and comfort is for my xbox that I bought 3 to give to friends and family. I bough them at the store for $40 each, They come in different colors but I do love them. I will even say 100x better that the high end turtle beach IMO. They work well when playing COD, and you can even have them play tv audio with xbox mic feature.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Plantronics-RIG-400HX-with-Dolby-Atmos-Wired-Stereo-Gaming-Headset-for-Xbox-One-Black/248218306

I think they went up and i know some stores sell variants with gold and a little bit upgraded. Worth to see which is best for you.

@ERICK001BC That's actually the chatpad I was worried about and mentioned in my initial post. Look at the reviews. Lot of people saying it broke their controller or that it's for the 360, not XB1.

And the headset....is way above what I'd call "budget friendly." But I"m a "rock bottom price" kind of buyer.

@zaffy2005 said in Accessory recommendations?:

@ERICK001BC That's actually the chatpad I was worried about and mentioned in my initial post. Look at the reviews. Lot of people saying it broke their controller or that it's for the 360, not XB1.

And the headset....is way above what I'd call "budget friendly." But I"m a "rock bottom price" kind of buyer.

Wasn't sure if that is what you meant by "original". XBOX 1 does make a version of it and tbh it is a lot better than the xbox variant. More sturdy and technically lets you use any type of headset you want. I do think it is sold out though but it defiantly is a way better ugrade than the 360 ones. I have had mine for about a year and a half and it's never broken any of my controllers. I think there is also a pro version but that's just way too much.

Well they also see a $15 1 ear variant that is decent as well, and a $20 one that gets the job done.

@ERICK001BC The problem is there are two different kind of XB1 accessory setups. The "original" XB1 just has the slot with the two "guide holes" on either side of it. The newer XB1 controllers, starting with the "Elite" I believe, have that slot AND a 3.5mm (a.k.a. "headphone jack") plug to the left of that slot. So when I talk about "original" vs "newer" that's what I mean. I seem to be able to find all sorts of chatpads that work for the original controller setup, but the only ones I see for the newer have the "fold in/out" 3.5mm jack, probably so they can be "universal" but I every time I find one like that on amazon there's always reviews that make me think I have to keep looking.

@zaffy2005 Ah, I understand.

Yeah mine was for the xbox one day 1 edition, I got it maybe 3 years after. It worked fine for both my regular and the recon tech but when I got the newer controllers, (last year I bought that full blue one) I couldn't use it anymore. My sister has the one that came with her series x but though it is an improvement and she loves it I don't cause i have big hands and it reminds me too much of those older phones, like sidekicks.

So, I been pretty happy with just a wireless keyboard to the side, I don't play with it, i just use it for chat. There are options for it on the menu. You can also hot key for some play and stuff.

@ERICK001BC I have a USB keyboard, a full size one, it's just way too klunky to use for high-action situations since I have to take one hand completely off the controller to hit a key in order to, say, have my Force cast a Tech from the subpalette rather than having to scroll from one side to the other using the D-pad. Having a chatpad will put those hotkeys right where my hands already are. And because I'm using one of the newer controllers (actually one of the custom-order "Lab" versions) I need a chatpad that is fully compatible. The Old Skool pad I have works fine as far as the keyboard goes, but does not transmit game audio (I have my TV muted at all times so my headset HAS to work with game audio so the one-ear "only for team chat" headsets will not work for me) nor does it transmit voice chat in or out, which means either I have hotkeys, or I have literally everything else, and that's not a trade-off worth making.

@zaffy2005

Then I would recommend the one that is used for the series X

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Microsoft-Xbox-Chatpad-5F7-00001-Xbox-One/47637838

That's the one my sister has.

@zaffy2005 said in Accessory recommendations?:

@ERICK001BC The problem is there are two different kind of XB1 accessory setups. The "original" XB1 just has the slot with the two "guide holes" on either side of it. The newer XB1 controllers, starting with the "Elite" I believe, have that slot AND a 3.5mm (a.k.a. "headphone jack") plug to the left of that slot. So when I talk about "original" vs "newer" that's what I mean. I seem to be able to find all sorts of chatpads that work for the original controller setup, but the only ones I see for the newer have the "fold in/out" 3.5mm jack, probably so they can be "universal" but I every time I find one like that on amazon there's always reviews that make me think I have to keep looking.

Any off-brand chatpad is going to have a bunch of duds in their batches; that's just the way this stuff ends up panning out. I personally just use my chatpad for quick access to the number row for the subpallete and not for chatting or serious keyboard use (big fingers and all that). I used one that lasted me for years (it outlasted three different controllers) and have recently moved to a new one since one of the plastic connection pegs on the old one broke when I was removing it to put on my new controller, and so far I have had no issues with the way I use it; the buttons are a little more "clicky" than the old one and the plastic definitely feels cheap, but I have yet to have any mistyped letters or random repeats with it, and the audio pass-through seems to work fine.

@ERICK001BC said in Accessory recommendations?:

@zaffy2005

Then I would recommend the one that is used for the series X

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Microsoft-Xbox-Chatpad-5F7-00001-Xbox-One/47637838

That's the one my sister has. Note: This one is a little more expensive But I have seen it for about $30 on other stores/websites.

@AndrlCh First ones out of stock, unfortunately (been running into that ALOT with both chatpads and headsets, which I suppose shouldn't be too surprising with half the world locked down and stuff like this not being considered "essential" so they're not high on the priority list for restocking).

The second one sorry to say is a complete no-go. There's no headset jack whatsoever, which means no voice chat and no game audio, which is basically right where I'm at with the defective Old Skool pad I already have.

Heh, and maybe it's a bias but that second one has the instruction sheet in the photos and reading it....again this may be a personal bias but if I can't even trust them to write up their instructions in a marginally competent approximation of English I have a hard time trusting they know how to put together a complex piece of communications technology the right way. I mean even using Google Translate to turn English into literally any other language and then back again doesn't turn out this horrendous. Can't even spell comfortably correctly.

@zaffy2005 The first one, I just linked to as reference to what I originally used; I bough that one in 2015 and it was for a controller without the audio jack, but it ended up lasting me up until last month (and technically, it still works, it is just too loose now to use comfortably). As for the second one, it does have an audio jack; I am looking at it right now and even just tested it out, and it seemed to work fine when testing it on both my XBox and PC.

Ultimately, you aren't going to find an inexpensive chatpad from a high quality company since these accessories are cheap because they are manufactured cheap, thus meaning there are bound to be duds among the batches. You could try and see if you can find sales on the official chatpad, but from what I have seen it has the limitation of not being able to hold down a key (like when you are charging a Tech on your subpallette).

I also want to make 1 small notation. If you see yourself playing Phantasy star for many years, you might want to consider an elite controller that has those little extra buttons on the back part. I am sure you can pick up a 1st gen cheap, and I wouldn't recommend anything else because of that new xbox coming out. Though it is not needed, just thought it would help ou as a force, techer to have those extra buttons.

@AndrlCh That actually kinda makes me more nervous because the photos don't show a 3.5mm jack and several of the questions and reviews mention there not being one. The occasional dud is one thing, assuming the process for returning it and getting a replacement is both simple and free (I've dealt with some companies/sellers between Amazon and Ebay who either won't cover return shipping, won't replace it at all, or even go so far as to say they won't send a replacement unless I send them photographic proof that I, personally, have destroyed the item beyond use "just to make sure you're not trying to steal extra products"). But full out randomly missing a key component like a headset jack on numerous units, that's something that makes me think twice, you know?

You do bring up a good point that I definitely have to take into consideration. If I can't hold down a button without it either not registering at all or the keypad translating it as "mashing repeatedly" rather than a steady hold, that's going to make it unusable as well.

I started looking up and this seemed to be the best I could find.

https://www.windowscentral.com/best-xbox-chatpad-alternatives

Also the elite controller is about $30-50 used/refurbished. Those do allow mapping.

I know the chat doesn't work for warframe for button mapping on xbox but the elite controller did allow me. Not sure how it would work on PSO considering they give you the option for keyboard.