SG cosmetic "sales" and the current state of SG.

@MrVandre A succinct summary of the root problem. Costs too much for how little it ultimately offers. ANYTHING purchased with real-money currency (even RMC that can be obtained in the game like SG) should be account-bound. ANYTHING we can only buy one of should be account-bound. In either case if it is not account-bound then we should be able to sell/trade to get however many we need to furnish however many characters we want to use it on. Which means the better option (for Sega at least) is to remove the pointless purchase limit. They get more of our money, we get what we want. It's still ridiculously expensive (seriously, I use to think Destiny's Armor Ornament sets were expensive at $15) but at least it would be a step towards being worth the price.

$ega and Micro$oft really need to get their act together soon.

Do you even realize and take into account how many hopeful and excited PC players may be inmediatly put off once they come to understand the current monetization model, and may not give the game another chance when and if this is eventually changed?

Wake up!

We are not WoW, we are not FFXIV, we do not have literal millions of players in the Western market to pull from and keep our community healthy and the game profitable.

This needs to be fixed ASAP before it becomes a serious problem and affects the longevity of the game long-term.

This game is already fighting an uphill battle, in that its almost a decade old and the people most interested in playing it have already done so on JPN server and are established there. With next gen consoles around the corner, the game will look even more dated, turning off newcomers. Greedy monetization is not a handicap the game needs - they need to rethink this; unless the plan is to milk dedicated fans before shuttering the English version of the game.

I'm overall pretty disappointed with the way this game is being handled in the West.

@IfrianMMO That certainly is a very real problem. It's why Destiny has lost literally millions of players. It is far more effective, and far more profitable, to sell a million units for a dollar a piece than to charge ten bucks each and only sell a thousand. Especially with digital content as there's no "raw material cost per unit" to cover. The cost is in paying the artist/rigger/what have you that designed the "product." And it is far easier to cover the cost of hiring them when you're actually MOVING said "product." And it's a simple fact that product moves faster when the price is lower. There was a day not all that long ago that $15 would net you a fairly MASSIVE expansion (like, for instance, Dragonborn or Dawnguard, each adding entire new areas to explore, several new full sets of armor, clothing, etc., and several entire "collections" of weapons, plus new spells, quests, NPCs, sidequests, stories, dungeons, etc. and it was linked to your console/account so you could literally delete the entire game, reinstall it, and still have access to all of that content. $15 here won't even get one outfit for one character and just deleting that one character renders the purchase obsolete and forfeits all access.

That's a pretty....well I don't know if I'm allowed to say on these forums the word that comes to mind so I'll just say "bad"...business model. Not saying the designers working on this stuff aren't good, but come on. These prices are outrageous.

The monetization that they're throwing at us is starting to turn me off little by little. It's definitely getting progressively worst. There has to be a better way then the current model with have now.

@Diamond-Cats258 JP wasn't great but it was a lot better than this ... All they had to do is tweak it for the western audience. While it isn't the trainwreck that was the SEA version a few years back (which is gone now for a GOOD reason) if they deviate too far from what is already riding a fine line between profitable and predatory in JP we may end up seeing a SEA 2.0

Please just copy JP. We need the same sg income, period. It doesn't matter what greedy money making shop model you use they will all make money regardless so why would you not set it up in a way that is convenient for the people who spend that money. The current sg/shop model is bogus, and don't think that splitting packs between genders and adding previews will fix that. The only reason i even wanted to play this game is because it has true f2p viability on JP.

It is nice that they added more "content" but still have yet to add ways to actually acquire sg other than what is available and still missing what the base game had over in JP. Not to mention with this recent drop, it was originally AC, and though I wasn't planning on using AC, how will I buy 2 wedding dresses if I can only purchase 1 and not have it account locked? It like they can't decided on path a or b so they just decided not to move.

It's PSU NA all over again. PSU had a lot of problems, sure, but the reason PSU NA went as bad as it did is because SEGA left NA out to rot, throwing it watered-down leftovers only every now and then, and otherwise just left it to dry up in the sun, while cashing in on subs.

Eight years ago, SEGA pulled the PSO2 launch for the West out from under you all, too. They've only come back now that the JP userbase is thinning and they are looking for another income source.

SEGA is Anti-West, and has been for a good while, now. This is all hardly surprising.

Being that you don't need AC or SG to complete anything in pso2 I'm not seeing the problem.

Even the affixing items are useful granted but not required. Sure you'll never be top dps.

These complaints may be warranted, but I mean honestly what exactly are you expecting from 8 year old game. I think NA might have unrealistic expectations here. There going to milk this til it's unmilkable and close it down, it's not some new concept. Just ask people how many times they've suffered in archage.

I'm pretty sure BDO is still milking me and I quit the game years ago.

@Jwguy said in SG cosmetic "sales" and the current state of SG.:

It's PSU NA all over again. PSU had a lot of problems, sure, but the reason PSU NA went as bad as it did is because SEGA left NA out to rot, throwing it watered-down leftovers only every now and then, and otherwise just left it to dry up in the sun, while cashing in on subs.

This is literally nothing like PSU NA. In PSU NA, whole feature sets were left out arbitrarily with no roadmap for progression other than what JP PSU had. Here, we've been told what we'll be getting and roughly when. Communication could be better at times, but there's been clear attempts to get information out and fix major problems. If you think this is just PSU NA again, then you don't remember just how bad it was or the true problems at hand.

@Rhysticalz said in SG cosmetic "sales" and the current state of SG.:

Being that you don't need AC or SG to complete anything in pso2 I'm not seeing the problem.

Even the affixing items are useful granted but not required. Sure you'll never be top dps.

These complaints may be warranted, but I mean honestly what exactly are you expecting from 8 year old game. I think NA might have unrealistic expectations here. There going to milk this til it's unmilkable and close it down, it's not some new concept. Just ask people how many times they've suffered in archage.

I'm pretty sure BDO is still milking me and I quit the game years ago.

Affixing will be necessary in later content. Also, the material storage pass may as well be necessary once we get deeper into crafting. SG is only going to become more and more important. The current NA practices are predatory and need to change.

@Archetype-Luna

Not everyone is going to craft. You can get by without storage it's just more inconvenient. Which is perfectly fine selling convenience over power is exactly what you do want.

Also you can get decent enough gear in Jp to clear what you need to clear. Affixing something half way decent isn't hard on JP but yes obviously big spenders get better affixes. Your not going to be completely blocked from running the content though..

If you think you need perfect affixes in JP to clear basic everyday garbage you really don't. By the time we reach parity making halfway decent affixes won't be that hard anyways.

Sega's a top 25 game company I'm sure they've momotized the game to be as profitable as possible, but it's never going to reach BDO or archage bad. It's a free game though honestly deal with it milking you where ever possible or grind forever to get around it. That's how free games work.. Either you put out the work or you put out the cash thats how free games work I wouldn't expect them to change anything. Free games always milk you harder then the region they came from that's just a general practice...

@Rhysticalz The monetization in JP and NA are different. NA is much more predatory, especially with Star Gems; what we are asking for is for it to be equal among the two version. We have less ways of getting SG and yet somehow have the Fresh Find shop which is incredibly expensive in terms of cost.

Also, I'd imagine there are content that you would need much better affixing. Also, if they do want to craft, then they will likely need to start thinking about the material storage. I'd imagine a lot of people would want to do crafting considering how it is incredibly useful. Plus if they ever want to try things like higher level depths, they likely want to affix. I am not even talking about perfect affixes either; hell right now, it still cost some millions to get a decent 5 slot affix. For all we know, the additional monetization may make these things more expensive because less people will bother with them due to having less access to things like material storage. Plus, I'd say that it being more inconvenient is a bit of an understatement; it's such a huge QoL improvement.

Just because it is the general practice to milk you harder, doesn't mean that it is the right thing or that it is fine. If something is wrong, then we should say something and try to get it changed. Considering how the JP version exists and that there is no IP block, it should be considered that the JP version is another competitor for the NA version.

A simple stopgap would to be to lift the account-bind on SG items. It wouldn't fix the problem that well but at the very least it'd be easier for people who put the effort in to farm meseta and/or play the market to get the SG items they want while others can offload the ones they do not.

The fact that AC items aren't account bound but SG items are is frankly nothing short of baffling to me. Even the Japanese version is like this.