Is using a Damage Parser a ban-able offense?

I was wondering if using a damage parser was a ban-able offense. SEGA JP of PSO2 states that it is against the rules to use one(players risk getting temporarily suspended or banned for posting parses publicly) but is this the same for the NA version?

understandable have a nice day

I would suppose that it's same as in any other mmorpg without built-in dps parser. Unless you use it to mock people or be toxic it's okay to use it, though it won't be ever officially "allowed"... and depending on moderators - this topic may be deleted and we all may get warning for taking part in it.

If the game ends up being Microsoft Store exclusive, it's possible a damage parser may not work at all (at least until a possible Steam release).

Pretty sure it is, double that if you're using it to harass others.

@Aster-Larkspur said in Is using a Damage Parser a ban-able offense?:

Pretty sure it is, double that if you're using it to harass others.

Final Fantasy XIV Producer/Director Yoshida has even said it multiple times that FFXIV doesn't tolerate people using a parser to harass others, and it's the reason why they will never add one in the game.

My advice is to check out the "General Prohibitions" section of the Terms of Service. https://pso2.com/terms-and-conditions 🙂

According to the General Prohibitions mentioned in the ToS, a damage parser is not allowed.

@Ragnawind said in Is using a Damage Parser a ban-able offense?:

According to the General Prohibitions mentioned in the ToS, a damage parser is not allowed.

👍

The game shows you your damage numbers, gives you a performance grade, and even has rankings in group events.. why the heck do you need a parser?

@Likaizam said in Is using a Damage Parser a ban-able offense?:

The game shows you your damage numbers, gives you a performance grade, and even has rankings in group events.. why the heck do you need a parser?

Sometimes the performance grade is based on the number of enemies killed only, and not a timer. (Which is all free field/exploration quests.) This means that it isn't easy to calculate a DPS grade for those, specifically. Not that you would be parsing for such casual content. Level-Up Quests are based on a timer most of the time on the other hand. You definitely don't want to use a parser on those, especially to hound people.

In addition, we've had people in FFXIV use parsers in 24-man Alliance Raids (which are basically casual content.) As well as 4-man dungeons (Also casual content) a few have used them to harass others in casual content.

@Likaizam If you're talking about the mining base urgent quest, the rankings are not based on damage.

The only means of testing damage in the NA version is the Rockbear training quest, which doesn't have the newest update from the JP version (JP version has options for a Rockbear that doesn't attack, just stays standing, which is great for testing damage. The NA version doesn't have that yet).

But either way, as nice as a parser is for self improvement, it's a bummer that people abused it and used it for harassing others in the JP version (which led to bans, naturally).

@Ezodagrom said in Is using a Damage Parser a ban-able offense?:

The only means of testing damage in the NA version is the Rockbear training quest, which doesn't have the newest update from the JP version (JP version has options for a Rockbear that doesn't attack, just stays standing, which is great for testing damage. The NA version doesn't have that yet).

Which is what FFXIV eventually added in Heavensward to help quell people who've wanted a Parser in-game. But everyone still uses third-party parsers anyway because they don't like how passive and vague the training dummies are.

@coldreactive I personally like the Rockbear training quest (with the standing option), it allows me to have a basic idea of what works and what doesn't, if using a certain subclass works better than another subclass and such.

In the JP version there is content that grades people based on damage outside of training, but only very specific emergency trials in ultra hard expeditions.

@coldreactive , @Ezodagrom I understand the PSO ranking system isn't a parser. Nope! It is just a casual representation of "mission objectives" for rewards and warm fuzzies sake.

A parser instead equates your raw damage numbers per second to make sure you are playing optimally for every second you are in mission. It allows you to crunch your rotations ensuring that you, and everyone else are playing optimally to maximize every second of playtime. Some people enjoy playing under that stress. Some people like the competition and the drive for virtual perfection. I'm just asking is this the game for that? When you can walk into an EQ and have someone kill a boss in under 10 seconds? That is was what I was implying. That a parser makes no sense to me in a super casual big numbers game like this. PSO isn't FF14, BDO or WoW where that "matters."