Dubbed Voice Acting (mild rant)

"Why settle for just good when you can be great?"-???

@AwkwardSatori sayonaraaaaa! /shudder She gives me the creeps. ❤

Sadly, here in the west we have a weird "We better be thankful for what scraps we receive instead of asking for what we deserve" mentality so things will continue being "sort of okay" in many fields for any foreseeable future.

And any attempt at demanding better service will be met with panicked and gut-reactions from people who seem to be unconciously afraid of losing what little they have if they raise their voices in complaint towards the mighty and holy providers.

Do you remember back when it was providers that had to bend over to service their paying customers? I wonder what happened to that.

@IfrianMMO goddamned if you didn't make the most valid point of anyone including me on this post. "All hail our glorious leader. " 😝

@ChiknAriseMcFro said in Dubbed Voice Acting (mild rant):

@IfrianMMO goddamned if you didn't make the most valid point of anyone including me on this post. "All hail our glorious leader. " 😝

You still don't get it, right? If someone likes voice overs (and I listened to some on the youtube, they are not as bad as you try to say in my opinion), you should just accept it instead of acting like know-it-all person. Show me at least couple of examples of bad voice actors (because you are claiming that most of english voices in PSO2 are bad) in the game and show me how good are japanese counterparts.

To be honest, you just sounds like Asian cartoon's fanatic (sometimes called otaku), that just hates english dubs... because, well, they are not japanese, and you try to cover it with facade of being pro at this. I have to admit that I prefer original dubs in most of the cartoons (be it japanese, american or whatever), but for example english dubbing in Final Fantasy VII remake is for me just brilliant.

@Chiryuu2609 I already did. Matoi and Risa. The actress doing Matoi sounds like the blonde from Fairy Tail. She's too breathy trying too hard to get her voice to pitch to match the JP counterpart and it doesn't sound right. Risa's actress is also out of her element and it shows to a trained ear. It's not a matter of opinion. Skill is either there or it isn't. Have I not clarified that I'm talking about their skill? Are you not familiar with the old mantra "you either have it or you don't"? In this case they don't have it. Put them in their proper element with their natural voices and they might actually sound good.

Guys, Chikn is just another troll, stop feeding him.

@Subject-Astra said in Dubbed Voice Acting (mild rant):

Guys, Chikn is just another troll, stop feeding him.

Yup, I'm ashamed that I tried to discuss with him.

My only complaint on voice acting is Maria .. I hate the fact she sounds like some old broken down granny, I don't like it, I would rather her sound like as older, pragmatic, snob. As for the other cast, so far whom I have been able to witness while my brother plays the game, I think delivers their lines well enough.

My general voice acting judge-o-meter goes like this:

• 8-10 Rockstar in general and CDProject Red
  • 5-7 Bethesda and Bioware 5-7
  • 2-4 Funimation and Fox Kids
  • 1 ... Old, mistranslated bootlegged anime from the 80s that you watch BECAUSE it's so bad.

For me, NA PSO2 is in the 4.5 -> 5 brackets. I don't hate it, but I don't mind if the volume is down either. JP PSO2 voice acting only goes to a 5.5->6, despite what some people may think the JP lines can be just as plastic and flat as the NA ones as well but at least they sound bored and not like they are reading off a cue card. For the Record PSU was a 3.5-4 for me. There were areas where it was a 1 and I would watch those cutscenes to cringe and laugh.

I think perhaps the issue you are having with the English dubs vs the Japanese VA work is that Japenese VAs go INSANELY overboard in their performance. Risa's English VA is good. She's creepy, unhinged, has an overwhelming bloodlust (which becomes all the more odd/unsettling for a character that doesn't HAVE blood). She's just not OVERBLOWN on delivery. It's kinda like saying Patrick Stewart is a garbage actor for a Star Trek Captain because he's not an absolute scene-stealing camera whore drama queen like Shatner who has to turn every single emotion into a five minute convulsion. Everything you say she's missing IS there, you're just not being beaten over the head with it. She's one of my favorite characters and if it didn't mean losing out on FUN points I'd have her in my party every chance I got (her and Fourie, probably Io, too, although I'm sure you'll complain about how calling the player "boss" is some sort of travesty of justice because it's not the same as "senpai").

It's kinda like understanding British humor vs American humor. It's less slap-stick, less obtuse, more dead-pan and dry in its delivery than American humor, but still equally entertaining IF you learn to appreciate its subtlety. That is essentially the difference between the English and Japanese VO work. It's just more subtle and nuanced rather than excessively exaggerated.

@zaffy2005 said in Dubbed Voice Acting (mild rant):

I think perhaps the issue you are having with the English dubs vs the Japanese VA work is that Japenese VAs go INSANELY overboard in their performance.

I much prefer that, but having the voice and emotion fit the character than the English voices which usually don't bother to grab emotion right or just have to have some sort of accent.

That is essentially the difference between the English and Japanese VO work. It's just more subtle and nuanced rather than excessively exaggerated.

That is 100% not true and you know it perfectly. There is zero chance anyone can listen to anything in both subs and dubs and say that the dubs are designed to be "more subtle and nuanced".

@Subject-Astra I'm only guessing here but I'd wager even the Japanese actors have "accents." I remember watching a youtube video hosted by Xavier Woods on his gaming channel with Shinsuke Nakamura and Asuka, two Japenese wrestlers for WWE, and Shinsuke made a comment to Woods about how Asuka is sometimes hard to understand. Woods just looked at him blank-faced for a moment and then asks "but aren't you both Japenese?" Shinsuke rolled his eyes and says "She is OSAKA Japanese." I would imagine it's kind of like going from New Hampshire to North Carolina, or Montana to Georgia. Still "English" (or actually, Yankese), you're still in America, but sometimes it can seem like you're speaking entirely different languages on top of the vastly different accents. I would imagine different regions of Japan have slightly different dialects and/or accents, so it really isn't that absurd for English VAs to use accents.

As for the emotion it could be a "culture clash" thing. Tell an American VA "convey fear" and they might interpret that as cowering, sniveling, begging for mercy, or just going stiff, meanwhile a Japanese VA given the exact same direction may interpret it as "absolute brain-melting panic as if the very thought of this creature/character/situation makes you feel like someone is pouring molten metal into your skull."

@Subject-Astra I'm only guessing here but I'd wager even the Japanese actors have "accents." I remember watching a youtube video hosted by Xavier Woods on his gaming channel with Shinsuke Nakamura and Asuka, two Japenese wrestlers for WWE, and Shinsuke made a comment to Woods about how Asuka is sometimes hard to understand. Woods just looked at him blank-faced for a moment and then asks "but aren't you both Japenese?" Shinsuke rolled his eyes and says "She is OSAKA Japanese." I would imagine it's kind of like going from New Hampshire to North Carolina, or Montana to Georgia. Still "English" (or actually, Yankese), you're still in America, but sometimes it can seem like you're speaking entirely different languages on top of the vastly different accents. I would imagine different regions of Japan have slightly different dialects and/or accents, so it really isn't that absurd for English VAs to use accents.

As for the emotion it could be a "culture clash" thing. Tell an American VA "convey fear" and they might interpret that as cowering, sniveling, begging for mercy, or just going stiff, meanwhile a Japanese VA given the exact same direction may interpret it as "absolute brain-melting panic as if the very thought of this creature/character/situation makes you feel like someone is pouring molten metal into your skull."

Mate, there's a difference between the ACTOR having an accent and the fact English VAs always have characters whose sole English personality is "has British accent, has Russian accent, etc. When you end up listening to these characters in Japanese, they simply sound normal, like what their character is supposed to be.

From the way you talk, it's clear you have little-to-no argument besides "i hate Japanese VAs", which is quite clear from your own examples on it.

The voice acting is honestly pretty damn solid. I already played through the stories of episodes 1-3 and the only voice I didn't like was theodore's, who honestly, wasn't even that bad. You can literally just switch the language to Japanese if its that bothersome. Another example of the NA community harping and complaining over mundane nonsense. They very well couldn't have even bothered to translate the damn game let alone dub it.