Dubbed Voice Acting (mild rant)

@Kos it's not simply my opinion. If you knew what you were talking about you could hear how and why it is a FACT that their acting is bad. If the actress that did Risa also did 2B then they must not of paid her enough or she's totally out of her character type and voice range. She was good as 2B. Neir Automata is one of a few JP RPGs I can played dubbed because the acting is actually good.

Being part of some stage acting society doesn't give you any authority on voice acting, they're two completely different fields. So you don't actually know what you're talking about either here. And once again, an opinion is NOT a fact. Open your mind or keep being a stubborn fool trying to pointlessly convince others that a game's dub is terrible when it's passable.

@Kos it's not a matter of having an open mind. Mine is very open. Narrow or open minded are concepts that apply to alternative thought. They have nothing to do with being critical of skill. The English voice acting in this game as well as many others and many Anime dubs is done by lower paid less skilled actors. That can be stated as a matter of fact and not opinion. It is not my opinion that the acting is bad because it is bad. Also, whether voice, stage, or cinema acting skill is all the same. The only bearing those criteria have on performance is in terms of the immediate audience and the impact of stage fright. Fact, voice acting is the easiest, cinema following, and stage is the most difficult because of the closeness of the audience. Passable is not good enough. It doesn't reflect the skill by the JP actors and it dumbs down the overall quality.

@ChiknAriseMcFro I didn't even heard the voices since I'm waiting for the PC version, I usually don't like English dubs, especially in anime, but it doesn't change the fact that you are really closed-minded and can't understand that your subjective opinion is not, in any way, fact.

@Chiryuu2609 listen to it yourself. Read what I just wrote to Kos. Open mindedness has no relation to skill and quality.

@ChiknAriseMcFro You are not, in any way, open minded with the bullshit you're saying in this thread. You don't like the dub, fine. Others do and to tell them they're wrong for it and saying they're defending mediocrity is plain idiocy. That you can't even accept that what you have is an opinion and not a fact is proof of that.

You are also absolutely in no position to judge professionals on acting skills. But hey, keep being stubborn and believing what you're saying is fact. If you can't handle that others are fine with the dub that's your own problem and not ours.

@ChiknAriseMcFro said in Dubbed Voice Acting (mild rant):

@Ragnawind I am member of the National Thespian Society and I have studied acting. I'm not just spouting off nonsense and bias without some authority on the subject. There are a few decent VAs in the English but most are just bad actors period.

Wait so are you currently in high school then? If so I hate to break to to you but give yourself a few years and if you still remember these posts you will be deeply embarrassed. Being part of a high school theater group does not give you an authority to talk objectively about professional voice acting.

@Chiryuu2609 listen to it yourself. Read what I just wrote to Kos. Open mindedness has no relation to skill and quality.

If other people says that they like the voice acting, and it's good in their opinion... and you say they are wrong, and the acting is bad, it just shows what kind of person you are. Your opinion is just an opinion, you have all the rights to have your opinion but don't try to tell others that their opinion is wrong. It's all just matter of taste.

@Kos said in Dubbed Voice Acting (mild rant):

@ChiknAriseMcFro You are not, in any way, open minded with the bullshit you're saying in this thread. You don't like the dub, fine. Others do and to tell them they're wrong for it and saying they're defending mediocrity is plain idiocy. That you can't even accept that what you have is an opinion and not a fact is proof of that.

You are also absolutely in no position to judge professionals on acting skills. But hey, keep being stubborn and believing what you're saying is fact. If you can't handle that others are fine with the dub that's your own problem and not ours.

Again, open mindedness has nothing to do with skill and quality. Regardless of any credentials any person can judge whether or not a professional actor is displaying a skilled performance. As a consumer who has purchased a product I have all authority to judge the quality of the game in it's entirety just as much as you and every other player. The majority of the English dub is lacking in emotional accuracy and the natural feel of the characters. As was said by another, the English voice acting is passable for those who don't want to read subtitles. Note that unlike you and those who are singing it's praises I am judging with unbiased opinion solely on skill and quality while considering things like budget and timetables. The FACT is the skill and quality of the English acting is mediocre at best. If you had a well trained ear then you could hear what I'm talking about.

@ChiknAriseMcFro

@Kos said in Dubbed Voice Acting (mild rant):

Again, open mindedness has nothing to do with skill and quality. Regardless of any credentials any person can judge whether or not a professional actor is displaying a skilled performance. As a consumer who has purchased a product I have all authority to judge the quality of the game in it's entirety just as much as you and every other player. The majority of the English dub is lacking in emotional accuracy and the natural feel of the characters. As was said by another, the English voice acting is passable for those who don't want to read subtitles. Note that unlike you and those who are singing it's praises I am judging with unbiased opinion solely on skill and quality while considering things like budget and timetables. The FACT is the skill and quality of the English acting is mediocre at best. If you had a well trained ear then you could hear what I'm talking about.

The fact, my dear friend, is that you think that "The majority of the English dub is lacking in emotional accuracy and the natural feel of the characters.", that's the fact.

@Chiryuu2609 Or maybe, I have an abundance of training and experience listening while using critical thinking skills which allow me to hear the things that you all can't. Take some appropriate time to compare the sub vs the dub. I listen to every little detail in both and by comparison the English VA doesn't do the JP VA the justice it deserves. You can tell that the JP VAs put forth time, energy, and effort into their craft and making quality characters. The English sounds half assed and uninspired. Do this little experiment and tell me if you still believe my criticism is unjustified. Set for EN or JP talk to or watch scenes involving Matoi and Risa especially. Then do the same with the other language setting and really compare them. While they will never truly mimic each other the difference in the skill of the actors is more than noticeable. If you don't like me saying all this then get on FB or Twitter and get the opinion of someone like Samuel L. Jackson or whatever high caliber actor you like. I'm sure they'll say it in a way that's not offensive but reaffirms my point.

@Chiryuu2609 Or maybe, I have an abundance of training and experience listening while using critical thinking skills which allow me to hear the things that you all can't. Take some appropriate time to compare the sub vs the dub. I listen to every little detail in both and by comparison the English VA doesn't do the JP VA the justice it deserves. You can tell that the JP VAs put forth time, energy, and effort into their craft and making quality characters. The English sounds half assed and uninspired. Do this little experiment and tell me if you still believe my criticism is unjustified. Set for EN or JP talk to or watch scenes involving Matoi and Risa especially. Then do the same with the other language setting and really compare them. While they will never truly mimic each other the difference in the skill of the actors is more than noticeable. If you don't like me saying all this then get on FB or Twitter and get the opinion of someone like Samuel L. Jackson or whatever high caliber actor you like. I'm sure they'll say it in a way that's not offensive but reaffirms my point.

I've heard some real stinkers in voice acting, and let me tell you, the ENG voice acting for PSO2 ain't what you're claiming. Please tell me you're doing more than just trolling and actually believe the stuff you're posting.

@OrangeJuche I can agree. There are much worse. I do stand by what I'm saying. Which if anyone has really paid attention would know is that most, not all of the EN VA is mediocre or downright bad. There are a few honorable mentions but I don't exactly feel like going through the credits to name them.

Reading further up thread, wait are you actually in a high school theater association and believing that gives you ground to stand on to judge professional voice work? Wow that's some mighty strong stuff there. It's fine to not like the voice acting because you believe the original source is better but to denigrate the work of professionals who to my non-National Thespian Society ear sound like damn good voice actors and actresses is pretty full of yourself tbh. Come back and read these posts in a couple years when you grow up, and you'll probably regret them.

@OrangeJuche good to see that at least one person caught that. I didn't even try for it. My teacher got if for me as motivation to move forward with an acting career. You don't need to know who I really am and what credentials I have. Of course this is the internet and even if I provided said information since it can be so easily faked it could be argued that I'm just stealing an actor's image. To be fair, I am a professional actor and I do know what I'm talking about. You guys just lack the trained ear for the subtle intricacies in acting that dictate the quality of one's performance. I.E. I can hear when they're reading off the script.