"gods be operative"

Not really a bug, but an odd translation text issue; in the Falz Arm prefight dialogue from the operator, the text always says "gods be operative" when it's clear in the dubbing she's saying the phrase "godspeed, operative". In addition, "anticipate" is spelled wrong. Both errors are pictured below. Not a massive deal, but it's a bit unprofessional and everyone who plays this mission will see it every fight.

alt text

If they put a comma after "gods be," then it would also be fine.

It's also supposed to be "heretofore" not "hereto for."

@coldreactive said in "gods be operative":

? No, that line makes no sense, comma or not. The operator is wishing you well before you go off. "Gods be" sounds ridiculous and meaningless for such an instance.

@Shadowth117 said in "gods be operative":

@coldreactive said in "gods be operative":

? No, that line makes no sense, comma or not. The operator is wishing you well before you go off. "Gods be" sounds ridiculous and meaningless for such an instance.

You apparently never played a Dragon Quest game, then, which uses an old english style of grammer. Gods be is used often in place of stuff like godspeed.

@Ragnawind I highly doubt it is actual Old English, rather more faux-Shakespearean (which is actually Early-Modern English with flourishes that was only ever used in theater and poetry, and never in actual conversation). I can't imagine that the term "gods be" is ever used without some kind of qualifiers like "may the gods be with you" or as an ellipsed expletive like "Gods be..." (in the same vein as when someone just goes "Jesus Christ..." as a reaction), and if it is, it may have been some attempt to reverse engineer it (incorrectly) from godspeed.

"Godspeed" itself is derived from a Middle English phrase (God spede) that means something along the lines of "may God bring you success" and can be used interchangeably with "goodbye" (a contraction of "God be with you"), though which one to use is contextual, with godspeed having the connotation of "good luck," thus being appropriate for the context of the battle with Elder.

Thank you for this feedback! I'll be passing it along.

I was expecting "Gods Speed" myself. But things like that are fun to me. ;~)

Another thing I noticed that was extra out of the ordinary for this type of thing is the most recent Lilipa Mining Base UQ. At the end the text says "Stay Frosty!" and the verbage by the ARKS Officer is "Stay sharp out there!" ;0 ;~)

o/ =^.^=