Playerbase

How big is current playerbase on xbox? Around 10k people or less? Do you have any estimates on playerbase on PC? I just wonder if game will be big or rather pretty small compared to current meta mmorpg (wow, ff xiv, black desert, gw2)?

I cant really say, I dont think anyone but a developer can tell correct me if im wrong. Its a decent size, its overflows at night, and a lot of people chat so I presume its full of peeps.

I do recommend not playing games regarding player base too much, youll miss out when the game skyrockets in popularity and its already popular as is.

I asked last month, nobody answered with specific pop numbers on their ship except a vague @John-Paul-RAGE said in I think this game is going to fail by the end of the year.:

@Havox3 no hard numbers (hoping PSO2 NA does another blog post about it soon) but if the Microsoft Most Played chart is still real time, it is now in the top 50 (#46) and now shows as #7 for top free.

Gonna check it again later in the week to see if it has changed or not. Microsoft is technically helping promote the game, so it could be skewed.

Sorry about that non-answer. That said, based on circumstantial data like twitchtracker, the interest in PSO2 is on a trajectory to flatline.

Capture.JPG

I wish PSO2 has the most amazing PC launch end of this month but I doubt it, this localization has more red flags than Best Korea Dear Leader parade.

@Havox3 said in Playerbase:

I asked last month, nobody answered with specific pop numbers on their ship except a vague @John-Paul-RAGE said in I think this game is going to fail by the end of the year.:

@Havox3 no hard numbers (hoping PSO2 NA does another blog post about it soon) but if the Microsoft Most Played chart is still real time, it is now in the top 50 (#46) and now shows as #7 for top free.

Gonna check it again later in the week to see if it has changed or not. Microsoft is technically helping promote the game, so it could be skewed.

Sorry about that non-answer. That said, based on circumstantial data like twitchtracker, the interest in PSO2 is on a trajectory to flatline.

Capture.JPG

I wish PSO2 has the most amazing PC launch end of this month but I doubt it, this localization has more red flags than Best Korea Dear Leader parade.

Oh it's actually nice idea, though I gone to reddit and the numbers looks promising: https://subredditstats.com/r/pso2 Check it out, I think there are actually many players so this game has hopes. What do you mean by localization? Is it google translated or what's the problem :O?

@Chiryuu2609 without going on a TL;DR post, biggest issues imho are, in no particular order,

Poor communication. To some degree I find dank rappy memes on twitter endearing, but they can't substitute actual thing.

No EU/UK version, EU whales can't whale directly without fiddling with giftcard codes. Ironically SEGA EU twitter specifically said they won't forget about PSO2, and then did exactly that. Capture.JPG

PC version delayed 2.5 months behind Xbox and locked to Win10/Microsoft Store.

Oh I don't really like that they delayed PC version, but you know... marketing... though it's actually pretty strange, but I wouldn't say it's a big problem. I'm not sure about EU vs NA, but if I understand correctly there are no EU server and people have lags, that's the problem(?). Don't worry too much about this, similar situation happened when they released Final Fantasy XIV, and after some time they finally released data center located in EU. If company sees that there are many people from EU playing the game they will probably do something about it.

But in short - nothing wrong with translation? Because that's the most important thing. I have played some games that had really bad translation which destroyed experience.

I feel that they are still raw over PSU so that is why they are dragging their feet on how they want to release in NA. Mircrosoft may have dumped a crap-ton of money to get it over here, but its obvious JP was happy with the way things were, the money may have been needed to fund another product so they caved, who knows. We also don't know if JP has any data or forecast as to how well they assume PSO2 will do here. The (lack of) effort SEGA is putting to advertising and promotion is very telling to me.

WE may be fans and love this game dearly, but JRPGs and their like, unless it is a very will established franchise (I mean like, ZELDA, Pokemon or Final Fantasy established) they don't do well here. Even with the second Anime Renaissance happening games like this are considered niche in a sea of realistic combat sims. Phantasy Star is a beautiful world and lore rich but has always been marketed poorly. We haven't had a worthy successor for PS4 in decades either, so the knowledge and hype about the franchise isn't something that is in the mainstream consciousness, but JP wants to treat it like it is because in JP it is.

I personally think it will do fine, it will taper off, flatline and if they keep expanding platforms eventually will be a nice little cash cow for them. There are plenty of lesser MMOs in the same vein that are not in maintenance mode and doing just fine. I just wish SEGA would show a bit more enthusiasm so we could get the word out easier, as it is it just feels like it is all up to us to try to get more players on board. That is had when a publisher seems a bit low-energy about the whole deal.

(None of what I have said is to be considered fact, they are opinion. There is no evidence or proof of anything I have said. This is just observation and interpreting what I have seen so far. If you disagree that is okay, I will not claim you feelings are invalid. Love and peace.)

@Chiryuu2609 said in Playerbase:

I'm not sure about EU vs NA, but if I understand correctly there are no EU server and people have lags, that's the problem(?)

No, a high ping is not an issue for PSO2 and there is no IP block so everyone can play on same ships, that part is fine. The part handled poorly is inability to purchase PSO2 shop items outside USA or Canada directly, without jumping hoops with giftcards.

USA + Canada 328 + 37 = 365 million people

EU + UK 445 + 66 = 511 million people

Now granted, yes, not everyone would want to play if it's only translated to English as some countries are very nationalistic about those things, plus a couple countries would probably need to be excluded because of lootbox regulations, but even then, it doesn't a marketing genius to see ignoring this amount of potential customers completely is not good business.

So you mean you can't use credit card to pay for anything you want to buy in cash shop? That's actually something that I have never seen... :O. Also okay, I understand your point but I doubt it's really something important, it may be important to like 5% of players, most players of f2p games don't pay single dollar :D.

So you mean you can't use credit card to pay for anything you want to buy in cash shop? That's actually something that I have never seen... :O. Also okay, I understand your point but I doubt it's really something important, it may be important to like 5% of players, most players of f2p games don't pay single dollar :D.

You can't use CC directly because it goes through Microsoft Store, which only lets you pay in that region's currency and you are required to have a valid address in said region. That is just how Microsoft has always been.

I understand your point but I doubt it's really something important, it may be important to like 5% of players, most players of f2p games don't pay single dollar :D.

A 2019 study in mobile freemium games shows 10% of paying players spend 64.5% of total revenue. On PC/consoles the landscape isn't there yet but we're rolling downhill also, EA/Ubisoft have started putting microtransactions into their AAA-singles. You may be interested into reading about whales, there have been some quite fascinating studies and articles on this topic.

@Havox3 You see, americans are generally richer than european so they can pay more, hence not the priority to the Microsoft. But yeah, they are losing some money, that's for sure and yeah whales usually are people that actually pretty much pays the bills. The problem is that if you want to have proper whales you need heavy p2w business model, otherwise it won't work. There are games that some people pays over 10k $ / monthly, but in these games paying players have actually big advantage and I really do hope that it's not the case in PSO2 (I'm not sure since I haven't played it yet).

@Chiryuu2609 The fascinating thing is that you are correct, but there has to be a balance. Whales need P2W to be wales, but if it is too obvious the peasants will leave, and then the whales lose interest because they have no one to lord over. This is why so many other free2play p2w games end up dying off, China and Korea have a ton of "churn and burn" mobile games that do this. Then you have games like Black Desert whose elements are so ambiguous that one could argue for days whether it is P2W or not. PSO2 has the very-very-light version of that model, it doesn't affect combat in any way instead it affects rng, but people can argue that it is not P2W, etc. That is where it needs to be, non-obvious. The moment you can flat out buy 13-star weapons straight out of the shop is when the game dies. Sega is very much aware of this.

Whales for sure will get certain things long before the peasants, but the game has very little (true) PvP to prove your credit card superiority. Instead, this game has the psychological power of FGO (Fate Go), where its more of a fashion show or bragging rights. I think that it is right in that sweet spot to keep it going for both parties involved. Whales get to be peacocks, and peasants never feel as if they are being blown past when it comes to progression.

@Havox3 You see, americans are generally richer than european so they can pay more, hence not the priority to the Microsoft.

The difference isn't as large as you may be thinking. We're still talking billions of revenue.

alt text

@Havox3 said in Playerbase:

@Havox3 You see, americans are generally richer than european so they can pay more, hence not the priority to the Microsoft.

The difference isn't as large as you may be thinking. We're still talking billions of revenue.

alt text

1 - It seems to be condensing Europe with Asia. 2 - It's from mobile (it's completely different market) 3 - I was talking about individual people not overall revenue Yes it's some revenue, hence I said they are losing some... but apparently their marketing/sales thinks that it's more profitable to focus on NA (at least for now).

@Likaizam oh, that's actually reassuring :). And well... I don't know single person that thinks that BDO is not p2w (there definietly are such people, I just don't know any) and yet it is really highly populated game, one of the most populated mmorpg in the west actually (probably just behind wow and maybe ff xiv), why? Because even though it's super p2w, it actually is really good and high quality product that is constantly updated and can be played almost like mobile game (some even calls it afk-simulator).