Is the game rated M or T?

hahaha, i didnt even notice =P

@Shmayken someone mentioned it as a side not on another post. I just wanted to highlight it. 👍

It seems that, for whatever reason, they forgot to mention it has blood since that T rating has the same tags except for blood.

And this game definitely has blood and emotional / mental abuse.

I would say it is M ... Later episodes people are getting straight-up chomped up, chewed up, and ganked in bloody fashion.

Honestly, I'm surprised there is no "Online interaction is not rated by the ESRB" tag ... but since they DO enforce a degree of (light) censorship and mod policing I guess they don't need it. Chatfilters and symbol art reporting can keep the rating from going off the rails ...

sorry I was thinking while typing...

@Likaizam said in Is the game rated M or T?:

I would say it is M ... Later episodes people are getting straight-up chomped up, chewed up, and ganked in bloody fashion.

Honestly, I'm surprised there is no "Online interaction is not rated by the ESRB" tag ... but since they DO enforce a degree of (light) censorship and mod policing I guess they don't need it. Chatfilters and symbol art reporting can keep the rating from going off the rails ...

sorry I was thinking while typing...

Sounds like an M rated game to me. Not to mention the micro bikinis.

@ChiknAriseMcFro Guys get speedos and thongs later too ... still mirco bikinis make me dance .. 🙂

@ChiknAriseMcFro only thing I could come up with theory wise was that PSO2 JP was supposed to get a rating increase on April 14th's maintenance, but due to new content getting delayed, their rating change also got delayed.

We had a M rating preemptively likely because the NA version was set to release on the same day PSO2JP got increased to JP version of M (CERO D). Seems it impacted our rating, though not sure if it was intentional.

Update: they fixed it. For anyone who actually cares or is mildly interested. Screenshot_2020-05-05-19-43-08.png

So it seems Blood IS what they removed in order to make it a T rating. Does that mean the game won't have blood anymore?

@Subject-Astra

That's odd considering games like FFXIV are also T rated and have dealt with other serious topics, like drug/alcohol use, and they have blood in some of their cutscenes.

I think what it actually is that the blood that exists in the game isn't enough to warrant the ESRB descriptor for "Blood."

While it DOES exist, it's infrequent and, with the possible exception of Chrome Dragon, in small quantities. Most of the scenes that look bloody are actually just using dark photon particles, or the blood isn't red (most Oceanids seem to bleed orange for instance), and yes the color matters for this.

There are a handful of scenes with explicit blood in future Episodes that look pretty different than what's in the game now, but even those still tend to be limited and kind of blackened.

Based on the descriptions for each warning given by the ESRB, I think PSO2 falls more in line with "Animated Blood," described as "Discolored and/or unrealistic depictions of blood," though typically that's only explicitly mentioned on the label for lower ratings. Mild Blood could also potentially apply, but I think that's the same thing with typically only needing to be mentioned on lower ratings.

I find it stranger that the ESRB site doesn't have Phantasy Star Online 2 listed in its database at all 🙄