Undercuts in market

@ComplexZeru the problem with the Rappy suit is that it isn't a consumable item, so every time someone gets one, it becomes part of the game forever.

Unless everyone who joins late May is willing to spend a lot of meseta to get those suits, every PSO2 day will make the price get lower and lower.

Oddly enough that's how RL economies work too. As frustrating as it is the best thing to do is accept it and repost your items according to the new prices points. /insert classic phrase "Something's better than nothing."

@ChiknAriseMcFro Yeah its bitter sweet but I'll have to accept it, even if its dumb.

@John-Paul-RAGE said in Undercuts in market:

@ComplexZeru the problem with the Rappy suit is that it isn't a consumable item, so every time someone gets one, it becomes part of the game forever.

Unless everyone who joins late May is willing to spend a lot of meseta to get those suits, every PSO2 day will make the price get lower and lower.

Your right still though its going to get lower for ac consumables either way unless they stop selling em till the ac scratch changes then the price goes up because you can't get said ac item anymore

One of the things you aren't considering also is the real price of certain items. There are a ton of items in the market that while you think cost a certain amount because people leave them over priced they just sit there. Most of the time people are not undercutting for a quick buck but rather selling it at what it actually is worth. If you don't believe check some of the markets for items. You will see the same seller have something up for a week or more with no movement

TWO HUGE REASON THE MARKET GETS LOW PRICES IS:::

1. With STorage Limited to obly 300 items. It Forces you to get rid of stuff. Basically you have to dump it and might as well get some cash.

2. 3 Day Shop ticket. Even if you dont need the cash you only get a shop for freee for 3 days. So you ahve to dump in that 3 day period.

I actually like the pressure to sell. If i am not going to use something for a month it is better to sell it and buy it when I need it. It aslos gets the ULTRA Rare weapons out of the hands of elite players and into peoples hands

@NEXTEL-CUP said in Undercuts in market:

TWO HUGE REASON THE MARKET GETS LOW PRICES IS:::

1. With STorage Limited to obly 300 items. It Forces you to get rid of stuff. Basically you have to dump it and might as well get some cash.

2. 3 Day Shop ticket. Even if you dont need the cash you only get a shop for freee for 3 days. So you ahve to dump in that 3 day period.

I actually like the pressure to sell. If i am not going to use something for a month it is better to sell it and buy it when I need it. It aslos gets the ULTRA Rare weapons out of the hands of elite players and into peoples hands

Except the last part you said doesn't there's plenty of times the elite types will snatch those undercut prices for their own benefit

I sell things for cheap. I could give a detailed response but I'll keep it short.

I sometimes play ac scratch in hopes in getting something I can gift for friends. I don't want these items generally, and if the friends don't want them. I leave it to the shops to figure out what to do with it. AC scratch generally isn't junk so I don't want to discard/recycle it. I like grinding for my meseta just to see how far I can go on my own. I got up to 400 mil in JP. ^^ Since I main NA, I want to see if I can repeat that.

So in my case, I'm not undercutting to upset anyone or out of desperation. My only goal with what I sell is, just get it out of my storage. It's for stuff what I use and affix fodder only. (Augments in NA) ^^

Oh right, also materials until I get a steady source of sg to invest in material storage.

@Likaizam said in Undercuts in market:

Every auction house in every mmo evar.

This. Get used to it lol.

For me its one of a few things.

1. I just like playing the game and earning money as i go along. If I get any item rare or not i will always price it under whatever the lowest price is on the market. Why? Cause that assures someone will buy mines first normally.
  2. I do not like the through process ive seen some in the lobbies have of pricing item prices which is made up into insane amounts just to brag about "being rich" and making mils off someone who would like a outfit.
  3. If i can help someone get an item faster it may make them enjoy the game all the more. After 8 years on jp i know the pain of wanting neat items only to be behind a several mil annoyance.

I have to accept it all the time on FFXIV. I've had to deal with 1 gil under-cutters who would undercut every minute because they would just stay by the market board all day.

@Likaizam said in Undercuts in market:

@Lwyu There are many motivations.

1. Some people are not motivated by greed. They see what they are doing as a good samaritain act and want someone to have something nice for less.
  2. Some people have too much stock and want to liquidate assets quickly, you see this in real life in retail stores.
  3. Some people use it as advertising, if people see someone is regularly selling things at an obviously low price, this may mean more traffic for their shop in the future.
  4. Some people may be unaware of the "unspoken market price" and just post what they think it is worth
  5. Some people are trolls
  6. Some people are undercutting you so you will lower your price out of frustration thus causing a chain reaction that affects the overall market.

I hope one of these answers helps in explaining "why?"

This right here. I am glad that people undercut, because tbh these prices are kind of ridiculous for everyone else who are just playing to have fun. Again it is a game for different types of players, and ther are always going to be those players who want to hurt the market price because they know that people want to be greedy because of how the game system is. Considering back in the old days I was sitting on so much meseta I had nothing to spend it on. I don't have premium yet, and I don't have a lot of storage So i am well aware that i am trashing,selling high value meseta items at junk sale prices because I need the space and don't feel like paying $100 real world currency to hit max space capacity. Plus I rather give those items for free to alliance members that can do as they wish with them. But i came from a time you could drop loot for friends. 😕

Personally. I always undercut, in fact its is in my advertisement on the market. Here's my reasons

1. It's not real money, so I dont care if I dont turn a profit .

2.Most of the time items I sell are drops , so even if I sold it for 1k, I make money.

3.I like to give the poor a chance. I have sold "valuable " items for a few ks. In reality market players most likely snatched it up and resold it .

4.Depending on the market if I see sellers gouging players over rare items I will buy up and resell slowly at lower prices to get it back on track (I have not done it on PSO...yet)

Those are my reasons. Again pixelated money doesn't mean much to me, so clearing my inventory for pennies, or correcting price gouging at a loss of my pp/gold/mesta is just how I play the game.

Maybe you're gouging and they're not.

I've never understood this fixation on "undercutting." The buyer determines the value of an item, not the seller. Anything, in a virtual world made of pixels or in real life, is only worth as much as someone is willing to pay for it. If you list an item and it doesn't sell and someone else lists it cheaper and theirs does sale, they didn't undercut you. They listed their item at price that was at or lower than what the market values the item at, period. It's a bitter pill to swallow since capitalism/greed is the status quo, but items sitting on the AH not moving does nothing to help you, whereas items liquidated into meseta can be used to further progression.

If someone is so bothered because "oh noes my item got undercut.../rage" then they should simply buy out all the inventory selling cheaper than they are and create a monopoly on said item. In this scenario people will be forced into buying at the price you are selling for, if you are not doing this, then you have no reason to complain when you are selling at higher than the market value and your items are not being bought.