Random game freezes/super low FPS drop (0.00001 fps) to the point of no return (Xbox One X)

So this problem has been going on for about the last 2 weeks now, and has become way more frequent since probably the last 2-3 maintenance patches. For reference, I am on an Xbox One X that works perfectly on every other game I own except PSO2, so it cannot be hardware related on my end as I never experience a complete console lockup or reboot from overheating or the like. I also do not get any error codes in-game.

PSO2 randomly decides to drop the frames per second to a screeching halt, of like 0.00001 frames per second or complete lockups with the game soundtrack and sound effects still playing in the background. Sometimes the game comes out of this freeze up or just barely. Most of the time the freeze is permanent until I hit the guide button to return to dashboard to quit the game and restart (which fixes the problem at the time until it randomly happens again).

This issue creeps up regardless of what in-game activity I may be doing (even within the personal quarters when idling). Again, no error codes, console doesn't lockup or reboot on its own like it used to when I had an Xbox One X with bad thermal paste; the console I own now has no heat issues and whisper quiet fans.

So this must be a game bug, and or potentially server-side issue? I have very good Internet, so that cannot be the problem as I almost never drop connection in any other games I play online. Also no abnormal packet loss on my router/switches.

My friends keep telling me that the game does not like the Xbox One X, and that their stock original Xbox One's work better. Hopefully that is not true.

Anyone else here with the Xbox One X experiencing random game freezes that warrant regular dashboarding to reset the game?

Bad optimization.

I played all day long last nigh on my xbox one x and haven't experienced this yet. I have xbox one and xbox one x, and played the game on both. The X just made it run smoother and looks better on my end.

So there are a few things that can cause this right now:

-Xbox Notifications -Standing in a lobby with a very large number of players (ex. B-001) -Loading Lookbook related menu items

All of the aforementioned can intensify when the game loads up in a certain way that we referred to on JP as "bad client". The game can be more or less extreme with this, but here's an example I recorded from when it happened commonly on JP PC; note the frame drops in the background animation on loading a different character (This was mostly fixed a while back): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EaNsKvaODlI

I guess my understanding of it is that sometimes when the game loads up it is unable to handle its memory as efficiently as it should and it leads to a lot of hanging and freeze ups. It's very annoying and while it's been fixed a lot over time in the game's life, it's often showed up in one place or another as a nuisance.

Thank you for the examples and insight to this issue. Lately I haven't been experiencing these freeze ups as much and some days I don't see it happen at all. So I'm assuming that this is a work in progress that may become better after each maintenance?

@Shadowth117 said in Random game freezes/super low FPS drop (0.00001 fps) to the point of no return (Xbox One X):

So there are a few things that can cause this right now:

-Xbox Notifications -Standing in a lobby with a very large number of players (ex. B-001) -Loading Lookbook related menu items

All of the aforementioned can intensify when the game loads up in a certain way that we referred to on JP as "bad client". The game can be more or less extreme with this, but here's an example I recorded from when it happened commonly on JP PC; note the frame drops in the background animation on loading a different character (This was mostly fixed a while back): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EaNsKvaODlI

I guess my understanding of it is that sometimes when the game loads up it is unable to handle its memory as efficiently as it should and it leads to a lot of hanging and freeze ups. It's very annoying and while it's been fixed a lot over time in the game's life, it's often showed up in one place or another as a nuisance.

The idle Block 1 seems to be the biggest issue. A lot of players go afk and are performing an emote or something after a while it will crash.

I have the day 1 xbox and my sister has the x, and the only time we have any issues is when we forget to close the game properly by logging off to tile screen and closing out/exiting the game. If you go afk and let the console turn off, or it goes dark or sleep, it will kick you out of the game, sometimes crashing and you have to re start the game entirely for you to connect.

I would recommend if you don't do any of this and it happens again to uninstall, clear cashe data, and hold the xbox button for 15 seconds until it does full clean shut off. Remove power cord for 15 sec and reinstall.

@Zero-Sonico-X Yes I have issues on the 1X too. FPS frame drops that get worse when you press the xbox home button or when you get notifications and pauses.

I think there should be a 1080p and 1440p resolusion mode in-game. 4k is nice but when you have 6 - 12 players on screen spamming PA's it's not great.

Performance is everything, Please look into PSO2 team

Yeah, it'd be pretty sweet if you could run it at 1080p 120hz on the X1X, but doesn't seem to be the case.

Just to follow up. I still have these freeze issues on my 1X. However, i thought I would try to force 1080p from the console display settings to see if the game would go from 4K resolution and textures down to 1080p, and it seemingly did.

Game doesn’t look as pretty, but I was able to have the game run all day (even idle) with no complete lockup freezes.

However, I did experience a super low fps spike when running the tower defence UQ. The game did recover tho, and normal FPS resumed.

I realize I could play on my Xbox One S and have virtually no issue.... BUT... the graphics and lack of proper antialiasing looks awful and just gives me an eyesore.

Sega, please fix this. Man if this will still persist as a problem on the upcoming Series X console... then good riddens