Too late?

My circle of friends are (sadly) not wanting to join in on pso2 because it's "too late". I can't blame them exactly, the game is 8 years old and looks like Gacha: The game if you login for the first time.

What do you people think? Should they have made pso 3 by now? Do you think the game will survive at all in NA?

@Jrgsubzero said in Too late?:

Should they have made pso 3 by now?

PSO2 was originally going to be PSU2.

Do you think the game will survive at all in NA?

Yes. In fact, it may even cause some free to play MMORPGs to shut down. If you want an MMORPG even more gacha than PSO2, I'd suggest playing Aura Kingdom.

@coldreactive said in Too late?:

@Jrgsubzero said in Too late?:

Should they have made pso 3 by now?

PSO2 was originally going to be PSU2.

Do you think the game will survive at all in NA?

Yes. In fact, it may even cause some free to play MMORPGs to shut down.

It does feel like PSU combat that's for sure.

@Jrgsubzero

Having played PSU back in the day I agree. I think that is why I was able to pick PSO2 up and go so fast. Still have much to learn I'm sure, but still.

Wtf does it even mean being too late?

There is no game that is too late to be played. Doesn't matter when a game is released, once you try it, you enjoy it or you dont enjoy it. Sure the game has some gacha, but doesnt affect gameplay at all unless you are into getting all the cosmetics to Barbie up your character. You can enjoy every single aspect of the game without spending.

Tetris came out 36 years ago, doesn't stop me from enjoying it now in 2020.

@Fayde said in Too late?:

Doesn't matter when a game is released, once you try it, you enjoy it or you dont enjoy it.

Which is the reason why Square Enix is still making content for Final Fantasy XI.

https://massivelyop.com/2020/03/09/a-new-scenario-is-in-development-for-final-fantasy-xi/

Not to mention, with Yoshida (also the Director/Producer for FFXIV) taking over just prior to Rhapsodies of Vana'diel's Release/development, he helped implement a bunch of Quality of Life changes, like the Records of Eminence (which added a proper quest tracking log in the game), the new monthly currency/quest system, and more.

Doesn't matter when a game is released, once you try it, you enjoy it or you dont enjoy it.

Which is the reason why Square Enix is still making content for Final Fantasy XI.

https://massivelyop.com/2020/03/09/a-new-scenario-is-in-development-for-final-fantasy-xi/

Not to mention, with Yoshida (also the Director/Producer for FFXIV) taking over just prior to Rhapsodies of Vana'diel's Release/development, he helped implement a bunch of Quality of Life changes, like the Records of Eminence (which added a proper quest tracking log in the game), the new monthly currency/quest system, and more.

And GW1 is getting new weapons and skills [ironically, something people would love in GW2, have been asking for years, and never gotten]

OP, here's my suggestion: When it comes to videogames, get better friends.

There is no game that is too late to be played.

For any single player game, you're 100% correct. The same does not apply to online games. If you log into an MMO for the first time, you can enjoy it all you want, but if there's basically no one playing anymore, that could be taken as you being "too late" to the party for a number of reasons.

As long as there's enough players for the company to warrant keeping the servers running, it's not too late though. This game only just released here, it'll be quite some time before that's relevant.

@Z0DIAK-BRAVE said in

For any single player game, you're 100% correct..

I don’t agree with this part here, I have introduced my nephew (15)to old school rpgs and he doesn’t mind the graphics at all even tho he has played new stuff (thank god he not into fortnight lol) there are a few games that a definitely dated that’s for sure but that should never make someone turn away from a game especially if there is a story

OP if your friends base the game on just the graphics alone and are not willing to play it then so be it, you be able to make friends playing the game if you yourself get into it, hell they may see you playing or see clips that you post and decide to jump in with you

• Ultima Online (1999) - still active
  • Everquest (1999) - Still active
  • RuneScape (2001) - Still active
  • Final Fantasy XI (2002) - Still Active
  • EVE Online (2003) - STILL ACTIVE
  • Mabinogi (2004) - still active
  • Elsword (2007) - Still active
  • Blade and Soul, Guild Wars 2, Phantasy Star Online 2, (2012) - Still freakin active ...

No, it's not too late, its never too late. You just have friends who would rather play something else and are using "too late" as an excuse. They just don't want to play the game with you. So you either make some MORE friends online who will play with you or you go do what your other buddies want to do. However, using "too late" as an excuse is BS ... You either follow your tribe or you make your mind up for yourself. Your choice.

However in a world of broken promises, kickstarter hoaxes and corporate cash grabs, maybe its those "older" games that are still around that had/have something that stood the test of time. Just saying

@Scribblemonk said in Too late?:

No, it's not too late, its never too late

Heck, the first ever 3D MMORPG, Meridian 59, is still active: https://store.steampowered.com/app/893390/Meridian_59/

They got a recent PR boost after they decided to re-establish servers and get better infrastructure.

Ragnarok Online is still going even. As long as there are people still playing and supporting the game a company might support it longer. There could be a next PSO game getting made but it could take years to create a good deal of content to lure people away from all their goodies and such of PSO2. Also PSO2 is still getting content for a couple more years.

People say about single player but they forget about those dedicated people who mod games . It may not be official but it’s still content , diffrent ways to play or diffrent items and such . If a game has a big enough following it will either get modded , is a hugely talked about or people enjoy it so much they play it again after first play through / the game gets a remastered version .

As for this game coming out late correct me if I’m wrong but Scribblemonk mentioned Blade And Soul . But didn’t Blade and Soul come out 4 years after its debute in 2012 being released around 2016? I doubt that’s the only game that’s had this treatment too .

@Z0DIAK-BRAVE said in Too late?:

There is no game that is too late to be played.

For any single player game, you're 100% correct. The same does not apply to online games. If you log into an MMO for the first time, you can enjoy it all you want, but if there's basically no one playing anymore, that could be taken as you being "too late" to the party for a number of reasons.

As long as there's enough players for the company to warrant keeping the servers running, it's not too late though. This game only just released here, it'll be quite some time before that's relevant.

Completely understand where you are coming from, but i think any game can still be enjoyed single or multiplayer regardless of population. I was looking back at some really old mmo's just to play for the nostalgia and it was still awesome. The unfortunate part is that it isnt as lively as before. But certainly if it is still up and running, it's not too late to enjoy it.

Ooohh FFXI was a great game, i remember when it first came out and i was still in high school trying to get the game updated which took like almost a whole day on release xD

@Z0DIAK-BRAVE said in Too late?:

If you log into an MMO for the first time, you can enjoy it all you want, but if there's basically no one playing anymore, that could be taken as you being "too late" to the party for a number of reasons.

You're gonna make the argument that no one is playing PSO2?