WARNING-Buying character slot is a SCAM

@CragOrion Well, before any purchase it is always a good idea to do a little research. It sucks but at least you learned from it. I almost bought the add a skill loadout thinking it was an extra subclass slot back when it first came out, but there are always topics, and helpful guilds all around the internet. Plus back then everything was in Japanese.

@FoolsArcana said in WARNING-Buying character slot is a SCAM:

Read the posts in this this thread. The deletion message mentions you will not receive the permit back. Can't really call it scam.

https://forum.pso2.com/topic/1472/4th-character-slot-deleted/2?_=1587734371729

However, I do believe that it should be the slot you purchase and not a character. But much like alot of other things in the game, make sure you have what you want before you commit.

wtf how can MS think this is OK xD

@Ki-Rin To be fair, in the older games they made it like this to prevent people from just creating new characters, getting the items and loot and giving it to their main characters, and deleting their characters and doing it again.

Other games example Warframe, give you about $5 in game money to play around with that is linked to your character, other people tried making other characters to give/trade the Plat to their main accounts but they are prevented as it is character locked.

Even on the Gamecube days, characters that where being shared on s system had the memory stored on the share to keep away duplication accounts. They kind of just stayed that way ever since.

@coldreactive @Seed Account gender lock in Ragnarok Online hasn't been a thing for almost half a decade now.

@devilzxtacy Never i would have guessed that something such as account genderlock would ever exist for a MMO.

But anyway yes as a general rule remember to verify any weird detail when you purchase something.

@ERICK001BC That's not really a thing. All the items you can abuse by sending them to your main are 1/account, so you cant abuse it, so that doesn't hold up

@ERICK001BC said in WARNING-Buying character slot is a SCAM:

@Ki-Rin To be fair, in the older games they made it like this to prevent people from just creating new characters, getting the items and loot and giving it to their main characters, and deleting their characters and doing it again.

Other games example Warframe, give you about $5 in game money to play around with that is linked to your character, other people tried making other characters to give/trade the Plat to their main accounts but they are prevented as it is character locked.

Even on the Gamecube days, characters that where being shared on s system had the memory stored on the share to keep away duplication accounts. They kind of just stayed that way ever since.

This was done on PC/Console games primarily to avoid a common save-scumming technique that's been around since the 80's.

Account-level locks are designed to prevent "looting" of an account, never mind people making endless free accounts to just sell the items you get with a new account over and over again.

Like in any mature game, usually the tradability of items is hindered to prevent account looting, accidental sale/reversed-trade/dropping/deleting items, and other stuff that should be a double-confirmed. Like if we went back to the first gen MMO's, literately all you had to do to steal peoples stuff was kill them (or get them killed in the field by training a monster on them) and loot their corpse, because the game treated players and monsters essentially the same from a combat perspective. Every awful PvP game has figured that out, and some embrace it, and others realize it makes the game toxic to play.

The right solution is what PSO2 has, so people don't just create and delete characters to get free stuff. In a free game, you should pay for any additional characters, and if you screw up, that's entirely on you.

@CragOrion Tell that to the people who sold all those mag raising sets. Still, if the game did have items you received that where quest base and you could get very early, people would just take advantage of it.

@Kisai said in WARNING-Buying character slot is a SCAM:

@ERICK001BC said in WARNING-Buying character slot is a SCAM:

This was done on PC/Console games primarily to avoid a common save-scumming technique that's been around since the 80's.

Account-level locks are designed to prevent "looting" of an account, never mind people making endless free accounts to just sell the items you get with a new account over and over again.

Like in any mature game, usually the tradability of items is hindered to prevent account looting, accidental sale/reversed-trade/dropping/deleting items, and other stuff that should be a double-confirmed. Like if we went back to the first gen MMO's, literately all you had to do to steal peoples stuff was kill them (or get them killed in the field by training a monster on them) and loot their corpse, because the game treated players and monsters essentially the same from a combat perspective. Every awful PvP game has figured that out, and some embrace it, and others realize it makes the game toxic to play.

The right solution is what PSO2 has, so people don't just create and delete characters to get free stuff. In a free game, you should pay for any additional characters, and if you screw up, that's entirely on you.

^Agree: Also never played any of the games that had saved scumming since I got to PSO on the gamecube.

@hAZE-1561 said in WARNING-Buying character slot is a SCAM:

After this premium membership is up, I’m done supporting them. I will not give them a single dollar. I refuse to support a company that recklessly takes advantage of its player base.

Bye Felicia.

The big gripe here is how vague and misleading that message is. If I had known how it really worked, I would have done things a little differently, instead I got duped into paying money I didn't need to pay, and what I got was not what I thought I was getting, because they did not make it clear

Yeah this is not cool. It was very easily missed. Another wall of text after the 70 hours of being conditioned to skip walls of text. This is really not a good look. I've worked at many customer service jobs, and even the worst one offered a "one time courtesy" in good faith. Considering that the company loses absolutely nothing by issuing another pass and saying "this is your last one, after this you won't get any more" and more to gain from loyal customers, especially right now when they need those customers more than anything. The character I deleted was level ten and on a different ship than my other characters. I would gain absolutely nothing other than what I originally purchased from having another chance to create it on the correct ship.

And I'm sorry, but why does it feel like we're being attacked here? If it doesn't affect you, is saying "too bad so sad" productive or helpful at all? If you were to imagine yourself in such a situation, would you enjoy being spoken to that way?

They may have localized the game's quest text and voicing, but they didn't localize the monetization...

Which is going to come as a rude shock to a lot of NA players who just click through with expectations that things will 'work as normal unless told otherwise'...

Not a scam, but I do find it a flawed choice for SEGA to have made...

Haha, what did you even pay for? First time I have seen such method to drain cash from customers.

I agree, the character slot feature in this game is a total scam, and I don't want to hear the "it was in red" infantile high horse dribbling prattle. I have played MMO's since they were called MUDS, and this by far is the lamest and most blatant way to scam people out of money. I get it that SEGA is thirsty, but I'm plain amazed at the desperation to part their fan-base from their money. $150 for costumes.. yeah, that should have been the first sign of trouble. Seems like many mmos are becoming havens for people with deep pockets, whales, and/or sinister affiliations (i.e. bots/child farmer, and other kick-back mongers). I thought FFXIV was bad, but whew .. congrats PSO2, you won the trophy here. Playing on the habits of seasoned mmo players - shame on you.

I've played PSO, PSU and PSO2 Japanese flavor and never encountered a paywall of such haneous nature. No wonder they offer 24 hours before deletion. I haven't even started to play the mmo yet, but at this rate I won't be surprised if I run into more flagrant scams and other silly pay walls to further hinder my enjoyment. Let me guess (no Googling here) there's a paywall for trees, tier, crafting, weapons, buffs, skill swapping, armor, costumes, storage, and player housing? Let's see if I'm 10/10 here.

I will say the most positive aspect of buying character slots is the price. For $5 you get an extra 300 character storage, at level 50 the ability to make 2million meseta easily weekly plus any event items (given or earned.) If you where to buy storage slot it would be $8 or to max it out very close to $100. (Per character) So it does have it's advantages.