Why didn't they pick up where the first PSO left off?

I want to know why they made a new story instead of continuing the first one because I want to find out if pioneer 2 ever got permission to land on Ragol.

Because it's a different game.

PSO2 started development life as Phantasy Star Universe 2. They only changed it to PSO2 because they thought it would market better with that name (they were clearly right).

Every mainline entry from PSU onwards, regardless of the name, are meant to be taking place in their own separate universe. During each "mainline" era, the identity of the Phantasy Star franchise is based off of whatever mainline title's active, Phantasy Star Portable isnt called "Phantasy Star Universe Portable" nor is Phantasy Star Nova called "Phantasy Star Online 2 Nova" (exception to this rule is PS0).

PSO1's story concluded in Episode 3 (which is chronologically the last Episode)

PSU's story concluded in Phantasy Star Portable 2 Infinity.

PSO2's story may be concluding with Episode 6.

Whatever comes next, be it PSO3, PSU2 or say... Phantasy Star Galaxy (made up name), would be taking place in its own separate universe with some common elements carried over (currency is still Meseta, Rappies are present, same three races and classes to start us off is present, etc).

@Leonkh99 correction, there are now four races and nine classes

@TURION-MOONSTAR I am aware but i'm referring to common elements. Beast was only in PSU and all the other classes besides the basic three differ per game. These elements are what we can expect a successor to "at least" have and whether it reuses PSO2's classes and race is another story... maybe it does or maybe it once again makes its own.

The only race that did get carried over that wasn't in the first PSO was the Deuman race from Phantasy Star Portable 2 Infinity and even so Deuman were not present during PSO2's launch.

While the games are in different universes, it has been teased at that many things are linked between subspace rifts. The glaring similarities being how the same weapons come back, as stated in their descriptions in PSU. In PSP2i, you travel through subspace to Ragol, before PSO1's story took place, and.... kinda retconned the whole thing.

Yup, that's why pretty soon you'll see all manner of individuals running around with the ARKS.

huh.... I always thought that Phantasy Star Zero came after PSO1 Episode 3.

@TraveledFrame04 said in Why didn't they pick up where the first PSO left off?:

huh.... I always thought that Phantasy Star Zero came after PSO1 Episode 3.

Phantasy Star 0 does take place after C.A.R.D. Of what I know of, it is centuries later and on a different planet.

@Ragnawind Yep, Zero happens centuries into the future on Coral, the planet that the Pioneer Ships departed from.

@Ragnawind Yeah, that's what I thought with Dark Falz talking about "Hiding in the hearts of good men" as in hiding with them until they returned to Coral.

@AndrlCh the reason that the pioneer spaceships left Coral is because the planet 🌍 was doomed

@AndrlCh said in Why didn't they pick up where the first PSO left off?:

@Ragnawind Yep, Zero happens centuries into the future on Coral, the planet that the Pioneer Ships departed from.

I thought PSZ takes place shortly after the time when Pioneer 2 departs for Ragol. Like, it's still on its way there when PSZ happens.

@Pun The backstory of Zero most likely happens around the time of CARD Revolution (which itself takes place about 20 years after PSO EpI&II) since the creation of Mother Trinity on Arca is the result of the "failure" of the Pioneer Project (and the independence of Pioneer 2 from the Coral government); Mother Trinity causes a cataclysm (the Great Blank) that knocks Coral back to a pre-technological state in her effort to "save" Coral by wiping out humanity ( a conclusion that she came to due to the influence of Dark Falz).

The main story of Zero takes place about two centuries later, where the people of Coral, known as Earth (as in the term for dirt/soil/ground, not our Earth) in this time period, have rebuilt to an industrial-esque level thanks to unearthing photon tech, and discovering and reviving CASTs who had been deactivated during the Great Blank, though as a whole they lost all memories from before reactivation.

@AndrlCh now I'm confused, in the opening cinematic of PSO episodes 1&2 it's stated that the world of Coral is dying and the people had to migrate to a new planet so just how can PSzero be set on Coral, I had assumed that Coral pulled a Krypton and blew up