How viable is it to play completely F2P?

IF he wants to dump money into RNG mechanics and call that "the best" let him ... Whales make the world go round ... I just want people to know the game is totally playable without paying a cent, unlike some other games that tout the same thing. I'm serious, you don't have to spend a dime and still have a crapton of fun. No one will give a sh!+ or out you for not "being optimal." Parsing and all of that other elite behavior that happens in other games is a non-issue in this game and utterly pointless. I repeat... This is not that type of game! Besides top-of-the-line gear is so luck-based that it is akin to winning the super lottery. As long as you aren't coming up goose eggs (aka not doing any damage) you are freakin fine my guy. This is more of a Japanese looter-shooter than anything else, even the poorest of the poor and the cheapest of the cheap can come out on top. Be less concerned about the numbers and more concerned about maximizing the value of your playtime, because that is what it boils down too. Want that cool hat or pretty dress? THAT is what you are ultimately going to be grinding for come "endgame."

Can’t you just farm the saki set?

@RagnarokSlayer said in How viable is it to play completely F2P?:

As far as I have heard, yes, you can. The same can also be said about everything else. They are basically just complaining that they want "the best" with little to no effort and not have to play so much. They don't want any of the grind in this game that is designed around grinding. They also don't want to earn their own stuff, but would rather buy it with in-game currency.

@RagnarokSlayer said in How viable is it to play completely F2P?:

You absolutely can. And, in time, there will be updates that release better gear to farm - and the game is usually pretty decent about adding in alternative means to get gear to ensure people will always be able to catch up. You never have to be optimal, and you're never without ways to be viable. Whether it's by getting title rewards, farming astracite to turn in for boss drops to compensate for RNg, or just doing whatever seasonal event is going on that churns out decently tiered fodder for people who have time to spare; PSO2 is a game where even if you feel like taking a break - you absolutely can. Then come back months and catch up without much effort, and then divert your time to chasing your dreams. Whether your dreams are actually pursuing the pinnacle of top-tier gear, or simply picking and choosing your favorite accessories and outfits to dress up with and win the lobby game.

I don’t see the problems then . At least from experience in other online games it’s kind of part of the game to farm them . Buying items usually is more of a last minute solution or a needed upgrade for part of the game but from the sounds of things there’s not much of that which is good for your mesta saving needs .

The more you can get yourself the less you need to spend after all

There are a few reasons to buy weapons, fodder in particular is one of the biggest. Let's say you want to affix your units and weapon in a very specific set-up - that might require you to farm one specific boss for hours upon hours to find enough units or weapons that drop with enough slots for you to start your project. It's not even a matter of using rare drop tickets or anything. Just a time sink, so if you can snag a few suitably cheap ones to shave off a few minutes it can help. Especially when, due to the nature of affixing, there's a decent chance you'll have to start over once or twice.

@Ragnawind this is exactly what I gathered. A lot of people are like that on games in 2020 which is why companies love us all so much 😄

@BFGesus Do your weeklies on all three characters. $6,000,000 a week with very little effort required.

Yes, endgame gear is expensive, ESPECIALLY once you start affixing. Premium will not change this. AC Shop will not change this. Mission Pass will not change this.

Everything is perfectly attainable though, just takes a bit of regular play and knowing what you're doing.

I played the JP version for 2 years F2P before spending any money. That was back in 2014. The NA version having all the quality of life changes the game has gotten over the years has only made it easier to be F2P. F2P is completely viable.

I played the JP version for years and years, never once spent a dime, not until very recently. On the NA version, maybe I've spent a little bit, but it hasn't made the game itself easier- I still have to play, I still have to farm weapons, I just get to look nicer while doing it.

I don't play this game to rock sigmas and 10-star units. Can you use that gear and get by? Yes. To me, that is casual player logic and I'm not a casual. My standards for gear are higher than that. I'm not complaining that it should be easy to get. I was giving an example on how casual free players can't make enough money to afford that stuff.

I also found it funny that a couple people told me to just farm saiki units and grind for money. Bro, I have over 350 hours and recently the only statistically rare items I got to drop were the two most worthless 13-stars that can drop; card revolsio and gunblade revolsio. Yeah, lemme just keep grinding with my 250% rare drop boosters and my 100% tri-boosts and by 2025 I'll finally have enough to afford what I'm trying to get atm. lol

You can't tell me how to play this game. I already have my standards set. I also know that because I'm a free player (until the PC version comes out) that my current goals aren't achievable. There is no denying that. So going back to the OP's question, yes, you can get by as a casual free player, but not as a hardcore player with the goal of obtaining the best gear available at any given time.

@BFGesus said in How viable is it to play completely F2P?:

I don't play this game to rock sigmas and 10-star units. Can you use that gear and get by? Yes. To me, that is casual player logic and I'm not a casual. My standards for gear are higher than that. I'm not complaining that it should be easy to get. I was giving an example on how casual free players can't make enough money to afford that stuff.

I also found it funny that a couple people told me to just farm saiki units and grind for money. Bro, I have over 350 hours and recently the only statistically rare items I got to drop were the two most worthless 13-stars that can drop; card revolsio and gunblade revolsio. Yeah, lemme just keep grinding with my 250% rare drop boosters and my 100% tri-boosts and by 2025 I'll finally have enough to afford what I'm trying to get atm. lol

You can't tell me how to play this game. I already have my standards set. I also know that because I'm a free player (until the PC version comes out) that my current goals aren't achievable. There is no denying that. So going back to the OP's question, yes, you can get by as a casual free player, but not as a hardcore player with the goal of obtaining the best gear available at any given time.

Your standards are hilariously misinformed. You're right, no one can tell you how to play the game but if you're going to spout ignorance, don't act like it's fact when you enter a conversation with your mind made up that you're exclusively right when, clearly, you're not. Especially if you're going to use your own ultra specific definitions of "casual" and "hardcore" that apply exclusively to you, but then apply them to everyone else without any context outside of your own head and lack of understanding. The fact that you keep benching everything in terms of meseta, while still apparently not knowing anything about how to actually obtain meseta, despite what everyone has tried to tell you is bewildering.

If you want to be wrong, I don't care, honestly. But don't try and teach new players to be wrong like you are and act like you're right, please. Because you absolutely aren't.

It's clear to me you're not a hardcore player because you interpret my PoV as "I'm wrong, ignorant, and don't know what I'm talking about". I've played years of PSU and the system for that game translates to this game in a 1:1 ratio with the exception of handicaps for free players (e.g. no player shop, limited inventory and storage space, etc...).

I've already said you can get by and experience most of what this game has to offer as a free player, BUT WHEN YOU HAVE THE GOAL OF OBTAINING THE BEST GEAR (A.K.A 13-STAR WEAPONS AND 11-STAR UNITS) YOU WILL NEVER ACCOMPLISH THAT AS A FREE PLAYER UNLESS YOU HAVE THE LUCK OF THE GODS.

Let me put this is words you can understand. The majority of your income for this game comes from selling high-priced items on the shop. If you deny this fact then you're a troll, someone incredibly stupid, or someone who has no grasp on how to make money in an MMO. I currently have millions of meseta sitting in my storage, but I can't turn most of that stuff into money because I only have one 3-day shop pass after spending thousands and thousands of FUN. If I had a player shop from the start, I would be near my goal of having a decently-augmented saiki set and a few 13-star weapons with good augments. Where my luck on getting rare drops fails, my luck on finding great buys and low-level items with great augments succeed.

That's it. I don't know how much more I can spell this out for you. If you're gonna call me ignorant and misinformed then at least give me some examples instead of pointing fingers.

Good luck with spending your way to top gear when the next rarity tier for both units and weapons comes around. Almost none of the 14* weapons that will matter will be tradeable on the player market and 12* units are all untradeable. You'll be stuck on the same playing ground as those dreaded casual players.

And here's a hint on how to obtain meseta as a free player: It's in the weekly missions.

I've already said you can get by and experience most of what this game has to offer as a free player, BUT WHEN YOU HAVE THE GOAL OF OBTAINING THE BEST GEAR (A.K.A 13-STAR WEAPONS AND 11-STAR UNITS) YOU WILL NEVER ACCOMPLISH THAT AS A FREE PLAYER UNLESS YOU HAVE THE LUCK OF THE GODS.

Objectively incorrect. Not just because 13* weapons and 11* units aren't the be-all end-all of the loot in the coming times - but because you seem utterly obsessed with calling yourself a "hardcore" player but are utterly unwilling to learn the game or engage with it at all and learn how to actually play it. RNG will always be RNG. You can buy premium and as many 400% boosters as you want and grind for hours and, potentially, get nothing to show for it. There have been several topics on these very forums complaining about just that. This seems to be your first and most basic failure to understand. Obtaining anything in this game that rates as end-game tier is always going to be a time and effort investment for the return. At best things like premium and 400% boosters take a slight edge off of that, if you're lucky.

Let me put this is words you can understand. The majority of your income for this game comes from selling high-priced items on the shop.

It's one way to make money. There are strategies to make a lot of money using a shop, certainly. But it's not the only way to make money, given that even basic and brand new players are capable of making several million per character per week without access to a shop, without even hitting level cap. But again, time and effort. The meseta barons who have hundreds of millions certainly don't get that just by getting lucky, finding one item and selling it once and then never doing anything ever again. Nor do the many new players who don't seem to be struggling the same way you are flounder about complaining the game isn't handing them free money all over the place or that they feel forced to buy a shop - because they've been playing the game and getting millions already.

I currently have millions of meseta sitting in my storage, but I can't turn most of that stuff into money because I only have one 3-day shop pass after spending thousands and thousands of FUN.

So your solution is to not use your shop pass to make these potential millions? That's a you problem, my dude.

If I had a player shop from the start, I would be near my goal of having a decently-augmented saiki set and a few 13-star weapons with good augments.

Or you could have been grinding, earning FUN and maybe even getting some saikis and 13* weapons of your own so you wouldn't have to rely on buying everything.

That's it. I don't know how much more I can spell this out for you. If you're gonna call me ignorant and misinformed then at least give me some examples instead of pointing fingers.

You're chasing "the best" items with no plan for how to get them, and blame the game for setting yourself up for failure. You don't know how to make money, beyond one means you don't have any particular preparation for - and blame the game for it. You put a lot of emphasis on the meseta market because you refuse to do the legwork and grind, but you also refuse to do the hard work of learning how to actually earn meseta. You seem to think that the people who sell these things on the market are magically "lucky" and that they aren't out there spending their own time and effort farming, to earn money, to do whatever they want with. And instead double down hard on blaming everything on having a shop, or having premium, or having rare drop rates. And you do it all while condescending to other people about being "casual" or not being as "hardcore" as you - the guy who literally refuses to learn how the game works because he played a game a decade ago that was sort of similar.