How viable is it to play completely F2P?

Hey guys. I ask as I'm a European player so I'm locked out from being able to use the shop. Is it possible to play the game to its full(ish) potential without having to spend any cash? I just don't want to put in countless hours only to find I'm gonna hit a brick wall at end game where I'm limited to what I can do.

Thanks 🙂

The only thing I would say spend real $ on is character slots. Other than that you don't really need anything else imo. But the other stuff is nice to have.

The game is perfectly playable without spending a dime. There is nothing content wise that requires you to spend actual money (ie. no gear or quests are locked behind a paywall); everything that requires actual money is merely added conveniences. You can technically even set up a Personal Shop for free, but it requires relying on having favorable luck with the FUN Scratch to get 3-Day Shop Tickets. Some conveniences like Materiel Storage and Extended Storage 1 can be purchased with SG, which you can earn in-game for free.

Fairly viable. The biggest things you miss out on not being able to get AC at all would be extra mags and inventory space. Additional mags only matter if you plan to play more than one "type" of class seriously (Which is to say if you main, say, Hunter and thus have an SATK mag, but also want to play as Ranger, Force or Braver it would be inconvenient not to have an RATK, TATK or DEX mag.) but it's not entirely necessary. Especially since alts get their own mag and you could make an alt to do so instead, and you can have up to 3 characters per account without paying for additional slots.

Inventory is a tight limit though. The basic inventory size without premium or any form of expansion is pretty small, and I highly recommend making alts if just to use their Character Storage as banks for things like stacks of 999 grinders and other items you don't strictly need, but don't want to throw out. Learning how to save inventory space becomes a very good skill when you're F2P.

More luxury things like a shop are compensated by FUN which you can get 3day shop passes with and stockpile for when you feel you need them. AC, and by extension features like premium, don't actually offer you that much in the way of objective gameplay advantages over other players as much as they offer a degree of convenience.

The game can be played perfectly fine without spending even a penny on it. The money you spend will only help keep the servers alive and the game running. All content is obtainable by free2play, except for AC scratch cosmetics, but that is only for character appearance and nothing more. Everything else purchasable is a convenience and not a requirement.

Just buy some US gift cards, from the UK here and already spent money on this game on 4 seperate occasions.

@Ragnawind Even AC scratch cosmetics can be obtained f2p since you can buy them from other players via the Personal Shops for meseta.

@Bl4h smart lad

Well, this version so far is a bit less so than the JP version as some free rewards got hidden behind a paywall instead.

With that being said, and assuming they do not change it any further, the game will only become more free2play friendly as the episodes succeed each other, as the game became much more casual friendly, in episode 5 and 6 especially so.

With that being said, inventory space is greatly recommended as once you reach the endgame, the inventory juggle becomes a nuisance/annoyance if you have nothing but the absolute basic inventory, and it gets worse later on.

Perfectly viable. People here just have a strange obsession with hating on the game.

The only thing you can't earn to support yourself in game is inventory slots.

You can earn fun easily to get scratch offs to use the market.

you can earn enough sg (200) a month fairly easily to get the battle pass.

I prefer to be premium because i'd rather spend my fun on fun things and sg on other things but paying premium + xbox live just isn't ever going to fly with me.

@Subject-Astra said in How viable is it to play completely F2P?:

Perfectly viable. People here just have a strange obsession with hating on the game.

There is not a single hating post in this entire thread, perhaps you are the one with a strange obsession.

Free to Play is completely viable. I got to 75 Summoner on JP completely free to play before touching pretty much any other class. I bought some weapons via player shops, since you don't have to pay to buy from them.

@IfrianMMO said in How viable is it to play completely F2P?:

There is not a single hating post in this entire thread.

Never said it was in this thread. Apparently you can't even read correctly, i'm sorry dude.

@Subject-Astra said in How viable is it to play completely F2P?:

@IfrianMMO said in How viable is it to play completely F2P?:

There is not a single hating post in this entire thread.

Never said it was in this thread. Apparently you can't even read correctly, i'm sorry dude.

You should feel sorry for yourself, because apparently you cannot tell how bringing the supposed hate drama in a thread in which there is none, while pretending to be morally just, is a clear sign of obsession. (and hypocrisy)

You saying "I never said it was in this thread" is not the defense you believe it to be.