PSO2 Should Probably Release On Mobile Too

Since much of the new generation of gamers are starting off on mobile games like Minecraft, PUBG, Clash of Clans, Fortnite, Identity V, and Roblox, I think moving to the mobile market is both advantageous and a good thing for the popularity of PSO2, especially if they are looking to make money.

There already is a companion game PSO2es with it's own story and game play, along with Idola Phantasy Star Saga, but there have been no indications that it will be brought over to NA. Since the JP dev team has indicated they're willing to listen based on the new maintenance time, we now need to make our voices heard if we want them localized.

@PrinceBrightstar Yeah those too. But mainly the PSO2 game, since they said PSO2 would cross-platform on all platforms. The mobile gaming audience is huge and should definitely be a target audience as well. It's definitely larger than the PC playerbase since everyone has a phone or an iPad.

@Zarozian said in PSO2 Should Probably Release On Mobile Too:

@PrinceBrightstar Yeah those too. But mainly the PSO2 game, since they said PSO2 would cross-platform on all platforms. The mobile gaming audience is huge and should definitely be a target audience as well. It's definitely larger than the PC playerbase since everyone has a phone or an iPad.

They never said all platforms but all Phil Spencer said was other platforms. They created PSOes because it's basic for what it should be.....nothing more and nothing less. Play PSO2 how it was meant to be played and not on some inferior gaming device

I would actually highly recommend against trying to release the full game on mobile platforms. The PS Vita ended up holding the game back for a very long time and we're only now just getting rid of it because Sony stopped supporting it in Japan. The game is now able to expand what it can do with minimum specs increasing once the post-episode 6 content is released. I believe there are also several issues with too many buttons filling the screen along with screen resolutions being too small on non-flagship phones. The game would also need to be ported to even support ARM processors. If Sega felt it would have been successful, they would have already done it in Japan.

@PrinceBrightstar said in PSO2 Should Probably Release On Mobile Too:

I would actually highly recommend against trying to release the full game on mobile platforms

Same.

The PS Vita ended up holding the game back for a very long time and we're only now just getting rid of it because Sony stopped supporting it in Japan.

This might actually be the reason why they're doing a huge patch soon, because now they can actually go all out.

@Subject-Astra said in PSO2 Should Probably Release On Mobile Too:

The PS Vita ended up holding the game back for a very long time and we're only now just getting rid of it because Sony stopped supporting it in Japan.

This might actually be the reason why they're doing a huge patch soon, because now they can actually go all out.

They might even be able to make bigger exploration areas, or more complex areas. Or, dare I say it, actual open world systems that aren't just the lobbies. One of the biggest limitations of the PSP/Vita was the fact it couldn't spawn more than a certain amount of entities at once.

I really think people should not take the whole "All Platforms" statement too seriously. The only other platform version that has a chance of releasing in NA is the PS4 version which is only held back by legal discussions with Sony (their cross platform and censorship policy).

• Mobile is a whole separate game and a badly made one at that, Sega's other mobile lineup look much better in comparison.
  • PS Vita version is closing some time this year and even if support continued why would Sega release a game on a console that is now on the end of its lifespan?
  • Switch should ideally be able to run the game just fine at like... bare minimum Tier 6 graphic settings but the reason no Switch port even exists is because PSO2's overall file size is around 70 GB. Saying that they maybe could "bring up some genius coding to compress the game" is giving the devs too much credit given how messy, unorganized and unoptimized PSO2's code is. So then we are left with what Japan has... the "Cloud" version. Allow me to put it this way... this version is a Cloud stream SIMILAR to Google Stadia; the game runs on a server hosting the game client which streams the video to the Switch and the Switch streams its button inputs to the server, lag can result in horrible image quality and input lag. Now lets put things into a big perspective... PSO2 isn't the only game in Japan that does things this way. Capcom and Square Enix both have Resident Evil VII Cloud on Switch and Final Fantasy XIII Cloud on Mobile, both companies who are more willing to throw more money at stuff and more in touch with their Western audience compared to Sega... and yet these particular 'cloud' versions aren't available in the West. Why? Cause simply put, as Google Stadia's proven, Western infrastructure is not as developed to allow for near perfect sync with the cloud server hosting the game client. (and before anyone gets mixed up, please don't say "But MS Azure...", MS Azure is a different kind of "cloud" than the kind used to host an entire game client)

As for a mobile port... I disagree completely.

While its cool that some games are able to release on mobile without trouble PSO2 has been severely held back by having the PlayStation Vita, we don't need PSO2's ancient game engine (its a new game engine based off of PSU's game engine... a game developed in 2006) which is messy as it is. I know several other "Online RPGs" and MMOs that don't have a mobile version and are successful.

Hmmm. If it means better graphics and newer UI with larger areas then I guess it's worth the sacrifice of not having it on mobile.

Hmmm. If it means better graphics and newer UI with larger areas then I guess it's worth the sacrifice of not having it on mobile.

Sorry to burst your bubble but that is never going to happen. As for bigger areas maybe but by looking at the eight years of development (out of the 10-year game development plan. Unless they decided to add a few more years) that maybe a far cry. For UI maybe but unlikely as they never changed it since the year of release 2012.

@AlexOak said in PSO2 Should Probably Release On Mobile Too:

Sorry to burst your bubble but that is never going to happen. As for bigger areas maybe but by looking at the eight years of development (out of the 10-year game development plan. Unless they decided to add a few more years) that maybe a far cry. For UI maybe but unlikely as they never changed it since the year of release 2012.

Well they might do so now since it was the PS Vita version that was holding them back, seeing how they dropped it, everyone else seems to be speculating that it's probably preparing for huge upgrades that they couldn't do before.

PSO2 now has access to a larger audience and I bet they wanna make a good impression and clean themselves up a bit before they start marketing it hardcore.

I do think looking at the past could give us a bit of a clue to what this 'big upgrade' is.

If anyone remembers, PSU's PC and PS2 servers were shared in the same way PSO2's shared servers work. Due to PS2 limitations and needing to use a memory card as the storage medium for patch updates there really wasn't much that could be done in terms of content updates and this in turned affected PC updates.

When SEGA JP announced they would be ending PS2 support they also announced a major update coming to PSU... sounds familiar? Of course, this major update may not seem like much nowadays since its the standard PSO2 one; New Areas, New Weapons, New Costumes, etc as well as the game transitioning to a Free-to-Play revenue model.

It certainly makes what kind of major update PSO2 gets after Episode 6 interesting but again it all needs to work within the game engine's limitations. PSO2's engine was developed in 2008 and has large portions based off of PSU's engine... how far you can get with an engine that old is something to keep in mind.

@Leonkh99 Quna has separate fingers. Surely the engine can handle giving me separate fingers, right? Right?! I JUST WANT AN END TO THE ACTION FIGURE HANDS!!

...I apologize for that outburst.

@AndrlCh said in PSO2 Should Probably Release On Mobile Too:

@Leonkh99 Quna has separate fingers. Surely the engine can handle giving me separate fingers, right? Right?! I JUST WANT AN END TO THE ACTION FIGURE HANDS!!

...I apologize for that outburst.

In the EP6 story, a certain NPC actually has movable fingers during cutscenes sometimes (in-game cutscenes, not talking about pre-rendered ones):

alt text