Anyone else find the camera totally frustrating?

Now that I've put hundreds of hours into the game I've just about had it with the camera. It's one of the worst in any game I've ever played. Especially the during boss battles! I mainly play the melee classes and half the time I don't even see what I'm attacking because it's zoomed in and off the top of my screen. Am I missing something or doing something wrong? Hitting LB locks on and helps me see for a second but that totally messes with your movement. I quit playing tonight out of frustration doing the Luther UQ. There's these fixed camera views you can create but they are worthless for gameplay. At least if there was an option to change the FOV or not have the camera so zoomed in I could live with that.

I've personally never had much issue with the camera. Moving one of the thumbpads (I think right) can change your lock-on target. Also there's a "not-first-person" (over the shoulder) targeting mode for guns you can press by pressing the right thumbpad button.

I think on PC you can use the scrollwheel to zoom in and out though. I honestly don't know if it's possible with gamepads or controllers. I mean I know in FFXIV you can hold L1 and move the right thumbpad to zoom but that's not helpful here. I'll log in to the Japanese servers with my Logitech F310 and try a few things for you.

Edit: Wait no scrollwheel opens the weapon pallet, I was thinking of the modes where you make/edit your character.

Edit2: All I've figured out is that + and - on the number pad seem to adjust the camera's height to fixed points can have the camera closer to the ground or higher and it doesn't work on over the shoulder mode.

Higer: ad91c00d4682e63e6ec29e7cfe752a01.jpg

Closer to ground: d27ee5465623835545a03959fd271caf.jpg

Over the shoulder (ignores character heights): c7c0bbea43a43014ef8a84d504834c27.jpg

@Mattwo7 said in Anyone else find the camera totally frustrating?:

I think on PC you can use the scrollwheel to zoom in and out though.

I wish.

"*" and "/" on the number pad can zoom in and out to a degree. I believe you can also set these functions to controller buttons to adjust as you want and then switch them back to their previous function.

@AndrlCh said in Anyone else find the camera totally frustrating?:

• and / on the number pad can zoom in and out to a degree.

* Use \ before the asterisk if it begins a line of text to cause it to not be a bullet item. (Same as reddit.)

" and "/" on the number pad can zoom in and out to a degree

I pressed that a few times and it stopped doing anything. I only didn't mention it myself because I'm not sure how exactly it functions.

@Mattwo7 said in Anyone else find the camera totally frustrating?:

" and "/" on the number pad can zoom in and out to a degree

I pressed that a few times and it stopped doing anything. I only didn't mention it myself because I'm not sure how exactly it functions.

When you ghet to the limit of one of the buttons, it won't do anything anymore, and you'll have to use the other button to go back. Same with the up/down function of numpad's + and -

@coldreactive said in Anyone else find the camera totally frustrating?:

When you ghet to the limit of one of the buttons, it won't do anything anymore, and you'll have to use the other button to go back.

And I couldn't find the reverse of the / key so....

Edit: Apparently it's * but neither of them are doing anything, I made sure Num Lock was on too.

@Mattwo7 Maybe you changed something in your keyboard bindings at some point.

No, they're just being finnicky for some reason. I can get them to work but I have to hit both keys repeatedly to do so, the commands are probably bugged.

@Mattwo7 Thanks for the suggestions. I did manage to raise the camera height prior to my OP but it really did not do much. I'm going to try the * and / function as others have been helpful to mention as well. A FOV slider would be nice but if it's not in the game at this point I doubt it ever will.

Smiggy is right. Pso2's problem is it wants to put you in the center of action of bigger and bigger enemies but never once thought of transparency or a better zoom out option. It doesn't help that unlike most other games, it allows these big enemies to sit right ontop of you and take up your screen and what little actual vision you have left.

So it creates a situation that if you actually want to see the action rather than hear it, you'll be constantly jumping back or jumping in general just to see anything but as melee that messes with your movement unless twin daggers or bouncer which can fight safely from above.

The camera can indeed be a pain at times. Especially noticeable during moments when you can't depend on your map and or radar. Or better said, when you aren't allowed to make use of them.

@ErinXh said in Anyone else find the camera totally frustrating?:

(Don't wanna spoil their names.)

They'll probably be different in the official translation anyway, either completely different or a terrible attempt at romanization, just like most of the names in the game. I can't wait for them to call the enemy group "Sensicu" or "Flash Model"

I hooked up an extra usb keyboard to my Xbox. On the number pad the / key raises the camera height, * lowers it. The - key zooms in and the + zooms out to default. There is no zooming out any further than default. I guess it is what it is. I played with my ranged characters and it's so much better camera wise VS melee classes. Far less frustrating but I still prefer the melee classes.