I think this game is going to fail by the end of the year.

@SleeprunnerInc

I honestly don't know where your shopping or who protions meals down that way, that's not your average American house hold though.

Being that is the NA server most NA players are not eating for weeks on end for 20 dollars. Heck we made a pretty cost effective meal last night but I'm pretty sure the day before was a 8 or 9 dollar meal alone.

@SleeprunnerInc Unless I am missing something on the store page, the current costume bundles cost about 520 SG, and the packages offered for SG go from 120, 480, then 1000SG. So, going based on someone not having any SG, if they want a costume bundle, they need to spend $66.50CAD on the 1000SG pack just to be able to have enough SG's to afford the bundle. And that costume can only be used on ONE character, it isn't even account bound. Still way to pricey considering.

@Rhysticalz I live alone myself and I shop at a medium priced store.

If I wanted to, I could go to the central in to a vietnamese shop and buy the rice for even cheaper (20-50 kilogram bag of rice.) and some minced meat from a local butcher.

I suggest trying alternative places to shop instead of basic stores.

@Spectra-Saberon And I agree, it's way too fucking expensive.

That's why I am saying it would be better if they cut it in half or even 75% of the price.

@Rhysticalz said in I think this game is going to fail by the end of the year.:

The thing with free to play titles it's hard to get a truly free player to pay any amount of money whether it's a dollar or ten dollars. 20 dollars isn't that much for most of us that spend money. In fact for some of us that's cheaper then other games prices.

This. Multiple times in various cash shop games I've seen people state that they would spend money if the prices were lower, but then when the game has things on sale during events or whatnot, they have another excuse as to why they won't buy. A lot of players won't spend money in the game period, no matter what the company does.

@Spectra-Saberon I'm not defending the price of SG, I agree that its too high. But you can buy multiple lower cost packs to get a costume, you don't have to only buy the pack that's double what you need.

@Lorient $32.50CAD if I buy 380 and 100 SG packs. That's better, and more on par to what I would pay, but still. At that price, I'm used to the item I purchased being account bound, and not tied to a single character, so still pretty damn pricey considering what is offered. I would love to show my support for the game with my wallet, but the reward for doing so really isn't worth the price they are asking.

@Lorient said in I think this game is going to fail by the end of the year.:

This. Multiple times in various cash shop games I've seen people state that they would spend money if the prices were lower, but then when the game has things on sale during events or whatnot, they have another excuse as to why they won't buy.

This is talking about purely Free players here... what's their reason for saying they'd spend any money in the first place? The only thing I can think of is that it's a posturing exercise; to say their reason for not spending money is principle rather than coming across as a freeloader.

If it is that, honestly that does more harm than good. Because there are changes available that would unquestionably make this game more money if they were done. For instance money is quite clearly sitting on the table until PC players can buy past Fresh Finds items and unique SG Shop sales.

By making a fraudulent "I'll pay when..." claim, these idiots are potentially causing the decision-makes to doubt paying players and not do things that would definitely increase sales.

Fortunately I don't think that's happened in PSO2 yet? No set has really been a discount. The limited AC beginner's pack for instance sells you an inventory and a character storage upgrade (1150 total) for 1500, by lumping in scape dolls most people probably don't care about. If that bundle without dolls was sold for 1000 (150 off) that would be a discount. But I'm glad they're not discounting like that this early into the game's life or people would come to expect it and the game would make less.

The other point to make is that temporary discounts is not the same as the regular price simply being too high. 520 SG is, what, $26? For one character-bound outfit set that I hear is often incomplete. Individual accessories like eye types often sell for $8. Clearly the natural provision of SG is meant to subsidise this so any player buying things semi-regularly may pay around half that, but that won't really happen until we get the remaining sources of SG that are known to be upcoming. So I guess it's a waiting game until that happens... and praying that things will ever come back.

@Miraglyth Honestly, I pay for stuff in free to play games if they are fairly priced.

I paid a ton for example in League of legends and kinda regret it (DJ sona pack was 15 euros when I purchased it).

But when a single outfit bundle is 15-20+ euros? Nada! Not in this current economic crisis.

If it was 5 bucks, I would be more incentivized to buy it.

If it was 10, I would take a good hard think if it was worth or not.

That's just me tho, I cannot speak for anyone else but myself and offer my perspective on the entire thing and how I would handle my business myself.

Since it's reasonable not to expect them to go any lower than 5 bucks MINIMUM.

@SleeprunnerInc said in I think this game is going to fail by the end of the year.:

If it was 5 bucks, I would be more incentivized to buy it.

This speaks to the broader point.

In F2P games there are a small but consistent number of rich players who will buy most/all things offered anyway (and the things they don't are because they aren't interested in their look meaning they'll never buy them).

If you reduce the price of something from $15 to $5, all of those players also pay $10 less. Those players that will buy at $5 but not $15 are an increase of sales but they need to make up for the reduced sales from stable buyers to break even.

Basically it's a price-pointing matter. Ideally the hosts of a game would want to find the highest price that is acceptable to most of the price-conditional buyers in order to get the best income from the price-unconditional buyers as well.

Personally I believe that experimentation hasn't been done (especially not since PC launch) and that the optimum price point is probably something a little lower than what Fresh Finds items are currently selling for, but I don't have the data on that which they're presumably using to decide monetisation strategy so I could be wrong here.

The other trouble is we know SG is presently more expensive for us to get than it will be in the future if other ways to get it arrive. So if they balance SG prices around present-day SG value, when SG becomes easier to get that pricing would undervalue things.

@Miraglyth The problem I have with cosmetic pricing is the fact that, it only costs X amount to make the original product and after that it's basically free to keep that outfit up.

You don't need to supply more of that same outfit again and again and pay to make em.

So in a videogame, my mind instantly goes to: It costs like 20-40 bucks in total to create this outfit, it doesn't matter if it's priced at 5 bucks cause they don't need to create it again right?

So isn't it better to have stuff being purchased constantly rather than focus on JUST whales even if you get less money per purchase? Since over a longer period you will get MORE purchases.

@Spectra-Saberon

You just discribed the price of a bdo costume

@SleeprunnerInc said in I think this game is going to fail by the end of the year.:

it only costs X amount to make the original product and after that it's basically free to keep that outfit up.

If and only if you sell it forever, and by doing that you lose the demand you cause by (a) giving people a deadline on when they can buy it, (b) making them more rare for the people who did buy it because now others can't.

This line of reasoning also forgets that the server itself and the salaries of the support team are a constant overhead; proceeds from all forms of monetised content need to pay for that. You can't sell a product on a service without keeping the service up.

So isn't it better to have stuff being purchased constantly rather than focus on JUST whales even if you get less money per purchase?

No, and that's my point. Take any macguffin you put in the Fresh Finds shop. If it's priced at $20 and you know 50 people will buy it at that price but it's too expensive for everyone else, that's $1,000. Now lower that item to $5 to be affordable and 100 more people buy it. Great! Only... those 50 from before also only spent $5 now, so between the 150 total of them, it only made $750 overall.

These things tend to work in curves. As the content creator you want to find the point of the curves that best combine the unstable but potential money from conditional/responsible players with the stable money from whales, to get the maximum total. I do agree with you that they probably haven't done this and that point is probably a little lower, but as I mentioned in my previous post there's at least one reason for that.

@Miraglyth

It would be awfully surprising if they didn't run the numbers being this is Sega not a small indie title.

The prices seem high and yet every scratch has a fair supply of items to buy off the market.

In fact you also have to remember the value is high but some of these items will be extremely limited. Generally speaking your 20 dollars in scratch is worth 60 dollars down the road.

i would NEVER spend money on this trash game when it regularly uninstalls itself and the developers are lazy fuckheads

@XenoBladeX37645 people really just need to calm down. These items WILL come back around at some point. Never probably as an entire package but as filler just like the JP version. Urban Lifestyle will never come back with all of the things it offered... but each item in that list will see life again in a future AC scratch sometime down the road. Comparing JP scratches to NA scratches shows this MUST be true. We have had some of the recent JP items in our EP3 scratch tickets. Our tickets have been a mishmash of random JP scratch tickets. Things will come around again and everything will be just fine. I am sorry if there was a must have look that you missed out on. On the bright side fashion IS the end game here in PSO2. You can have subpar gear and still do all the UQ and other stuff in this game. On the few things that require decent gear you are never alone so your party members can pick up your slack. Save your money and buy the OP items that you just can not live without.