I think this game is going to fail by the end of the year.

@Ragnawind said in I think this game is going to fail by the end of the year.:

@Havox3 said in I think this game is going to fail by the end of the year.:

There is no advertising, no hype. I don't see the game discussed anywhere online general gaming is discussed. PC is delayed 2.5 months after Xbox open beta, seriously dampening the hype on the platform where the majority of players is. In fact, there's still 0 communication about the PC version.

This is just plain wrong. There is plenty of advertising for the game. There are hundreds of ads for it on social media that pop up all the time. A lot of video game media has been talking about the game as new info is revealed. Multiple game forums have been talking about it since CBT was announced. There also is communication about the PC version, since they have kept ensuring people that it is still coming in Spring 2020 and that it now has a set timeframe of late 2020. Since it would also have to be after maintenance, it is very likely to be on May 26, since that would be the only maintenance scheduled in late May if they keep to their "currently scheduled every two weeks" maintenance plan, which would also mean that they have already pretty much given away the exact date. They have also confirmed cross-play, and that is all the info that really needs to be discussed before release on the PC.

To add to this I actually recently seen an ad for PSO2 on youtube. Granted googles ads are targeted, but that means they are in fact advertising the game.

@SirDoodlesAlot said in I think this game is going to fail by the end of the year.:

Granted googles ads are targeted

Unless you've got security features enabled and/or put yourself on the "do not track" lists if you live in certain US states such as California or the EU, internet ads are ALWAYS targeted. Not to mention that selling user data is WAY more profitable than ads on their own because information is power.

I don't see it failing by the end of the year unless the world actually collapses completely due to COVID panic.

On the whole thing about the trading and opening player shops being locked behind premium. I think that decision actually was made as a measure to impede RMT. Meseta tbh isn't hard to come by even as a free player. Player shops are great for stuff like cosmetics and emotes including things acquired through AC tickets. Not so much in regards to gear upgrades unless in the low - mid level range. At high level its mostly good for duplicates to raise the grind cap on something and cap out the element on a weapon. However unless you have a considerable amount of meseta you probably wont be affording the items with god tier modifier combinations on them this early in it's cycle.

I think they said originally they had planned to get the NA version up to the same content as the JP version so we may see some rapid updates to get to that point as we only have the first 3 episodes currently. I kind of hope this would also include cross overs and special events as I wouldn't mind another shot at a few of them.

This isn't me tooting the PC horn but hear me out: Once PC gets its hands on this, they (Sega) are golden, simply because PC doesn't have the hoops our XBOX friends have to jump through with a subscription on top of any other microcharges. PC will just have the micro charges. Also, plenty of JP vets are lined up to come to NA to hang out with friends, or just to play on a better connection, these are dudes and dudettes who have been playing for 8 years now, I guarantee you if they are not sick of it by now, they never are going to be. Also ... Mircosoft begged and pleaded for it to come here, if Sega didn't think there was still money to be made, they would have still isolated the game. Its 8 years old, made a ton of money over, this is not an old bird or a leaky ship, it knows what it is doing. I wouldn't start saying the sky is falling so soon. This will only be even more true when Steam gets it in about a year or so. I think they have this pretty well planned out all things considered...

@Scribblemonk A ton of people waiting for the PC version apparently already gave up and went to the Japanese version. This is one of the reasons I don't expect the game to do as well as it should.

@Scribblemonk they didn't think there was much money to be made, which is why our release got delayed and SEGA didn't want to even spend the 5 yen to explain why.

The deal Microsoft cut them was what made it seem much more profitable, so now how many systems it makes it to depends on how much money they make from the limited PC release. Pretty sure they will have to pay full price once it is no longer a Microsoft exclusive, so that is a big consideration for if and when it ever makes it to PS4/EMEA region.

@John-Paul-RAGE said in I think this game is going to fail by the end of the year.:

@Scribblemonk they didn't think there was much money to be made, which is why our release got delayed and SEGA didn't want to even spend the 5 yen to explain why.

The deal Microsoft cut them was what made it seem much more profitable, so now how many systems it makes it to depends on how much money they make from the limited PC release. Pretty sure they will have to pay full price once it is no longer a Microsoft exclusive, so that is a big consideration for if and when it ever makes it to PS4/EMEA region.

At least SEGA won't have to pay Microsoft to test the game on other systems, since Microsoft requires developers/publishers to pay them to have their own [Microsoft] testers test the game to be released on Xbox consoles.

Wow ... my goodness ... sometimes I think (some) people just WANT to be depressed. Good thing I hang out on the reddit. Y'all are just buzzkills sometimes. lol

@Scribblemonk said in I think this game is going to fail by the end of the year.:

Wow ... my goodness ... sometimes I think (some) people just WANT to be depressed. Good thing I hang out on the reddit. Y'all are just buzzkills sometimes. lol

I wish reddit was cheerful/etc. for /r/FFXIV

@Scribblemonk said in I think this game is going to fail by the end of the year.:

Wow ... my goodness ... sometimes I think (some) people just WANT to be depressed.

I am depressed and that's not a choice. Also I am a realist, not a pessimist. The glass is both half empty and half full.

Good thing I hang out on the reddit.

You mean the one that downvoted the heck out of my "Attack on Falz" video just because I messed with the audio to try to dodge CID and got me shadowbanned from reddit just because I questioned the downvotes? I'm surprised they're even capable of happiness.

The subreddit for this game is perpetually hostile in both the "xbox players constantly angry that PC exists" sense and "any advice offered by experienced players is met with weeks of harassment calling them, at the politest, an elitist asshole." sense. To say nothing of the fact that the subreddit frequently proliferates out and out incorrect information but is incredibly hostile to people who try to clear the air in regards to basic rumor mongering.

@Nuebot said in I think this game is going to fail by the end of the year.:

The subreddit for this game is perpetually hostile in both the "xbox players constantly angry that PC exists" sense and "any advice offered by experienced players is met with weeks of harassment calling them, at the politest, an elitist asshole." sense. To say nothing of the fact that the subreddit frequently proliferates out and out incorrect information but is incredibly hostile to people who try to clear the air in regards to basic rumor mongering.

Ah so it is just as Reddit-ish as I remember it.

Well I guess everyplace is gloomy, no place is nice and we should just all be unhappy and gloomy then. lol. Im ... Im just done. Y'all crack me up.

Well I guess everyplace is gloomy, no place is nice

Welcome to the internet, where even supposed "safe spaces" are often run by people too against the idea of causing drama by enforcing the rules properly or being manipulated by obvious control freaks and/or sociopaths and one got run out of his own community by some drama I don't know the full details of. And that's why I kept getting banned or exiling myself (save for that last one which fell apart independent of me).

And the single one I self-exiled myself from and later banned from that wasn't run by someone like that, first I got into a heated argument with someone I fooled myself into thinking was my friend but refused to take my side when someone wronged me and later in a moment of pure judgement lapse after self-exiling myself from that community to avoid creating more drama (because too many people were on the side of the person who wronged me there but they weren't breaking any rules), I privately went after someone who was saying mean things about them and got banned because he ratted me out. It was still my fault for going after him in the first place though.

It was mostly my own fault one time.

I think the amount of both disgruntled PC and curious XBOX players that are joining PSO2JP, speaks for itself.

Is PSO2NA dead or going to die soon?

I personally do not think so, i assume there is a sizeable amount of people who are patiently waiting for the PC version and also many potential PC players that will only come to know about the game once the PC version releases.

But with that being said, it would be blind foolishness to pretend that it has not received noticeable damage

And to trust that every or almost every bleeded or lost player will return once more and newer content is released is absurd, because the average MMO player only gives MMORPG one chance before they jump to the next new thing.

You also seem to forget that other Online experiences such as GENSHIN IMPACT and other MMORPG are releasing during the lenght of this year and several other are launching important expansions come summer and fall.

Unlike during this missed period of opportunity, PSO2NA is going to have to contest with competition and fading interest from here on and how well will they handle this will determine how long will it stay successful.

TLDR: No, i do not think the game will literally be dead in a year, but i think by Christmas, what lies ahead will be very clear.

If the game fails to capture a sizeable profit or community by Christmas, it´s pretty much game over.