I think this game is going to fail by the end of the year.

@Hanzo-Or-Ganzo said in I think this game is going to fail by the end of the year.:

@BFGesus I mean by your own accord your friend is poping $9 a booster and when PC players come in players will be spending money like crazy. Sure, many people don't want to spend a ton of money on this game, but I know several people who've already dropped $2000+ on this game. It isn't going anywhere.

If my CARES Act money (up to 1200 USD) comes out around the time of PSO2's launch on PC, I'll be using a lot of it on PSO2.

While the western side of things certainly could have done better the JP PSU PC was doing recently well for itself before it closed but you could see it was being used as the testing ground for PSO2 with the semi free to play option being introduced and buyable cosmetics, Pretty sure it was closed down to force the player base to move over to PSO2 so sega could focus all their efforts in one place.

@coldreactive said in I think this game is going to fail by the end of the year.:

With no alternative MMORPG under SEGA's belt in the west, there's no reason why PSO2NA should shut down other than people not supporting it.

Are we having two different conversations? The context was the reason PSU shut down as a counter to the point that PSU did well in Japan.

Also Sega doesn't need MMOs. In addition to a number of Japanese exclusive mobile games, they have a number of successful offline franchises like MegaTen/Persona and Total War. Sega isn't an MMORPG publisher first and foremost like Nexon, PWE or X-legend.

If my CARES Act money (up to 1200 USD) comes out around the time of PSO2's launch on PC, I'll be using a lot of it on PSO2.

Mine went to advance rent and bill payments.

@Mattwo7 said in I think this game is going to fail by the end of the year.:

X-legend.

And X-Legend was never a publisher until Aura Kingdom 2. Aeria Games bought them eventually due to their continued development for them. But yes, I understand, fine. SEGA doesn't need MMOs when they have tons of mobile stuff. I'm just aggrivated by mobile games that are offline single player games because Capcom decided it would be a good idea to make Breath of Fire VI Mobile only.

I mean PSO only became a online platform because Dreamcast was experimenting a lot with the internet . I imagine if dreamcast was still focusing more offline if a phantasy star was made for Dreamcast it would of stuck as a RPG . They took the risk with it probably due to skies of Arcadia dropping as the RPG option so PSO could become a online RPG .

Of course it worked out so well and became popular on the Dreamcast it became a hit series for sega again with PSU, the reason they closed the PSU servers does not seem to be due to it failing . More so if you think about it PSU used a sub based system while PSO2 was free to download and pay . Who would keep wanting to pay a monthly sub if they can play a newer version for free pretty much . This would also divide the player base so less people on PSU and less people moving from PSU so they shut down the servers .

I mean the new gen of consoles were on its way in the case of the Xbox one releasing a year after the servers closed , as for pc and ps2 closing earlier again PS2 the PS3 was out then and pc I just don’t think got as much traffic

It’s after that it gets all crazy . So PSO2 hit in 2012 with a English one for 2013 . Makes sense cuz all of next gen releasing in 2013 but then it got delayed then SEA English super restricted came out 2014 . That died in 2017 because it was a huge failure and it has been quiet till 2019 we heard of an Us release which has finally happened

Now this seems like a strange time possibly so I am going to list a few thing as to what could be going on

•The game was made to run on Xbox One . Now the next gen console Series X is suppose to hit this year . If Microsoft play their cards right this could easily be tried on Xbox one and release but also to get released on their new console as a early free release . The PS5 is also suppose to be dropping this year again it may get released on the PS5 . I think this is all too linked well in my eyes . Who knows maybe they plan to keep supporting PSO2 for a long time ? It may be old but other games have lasted as long if not longer

• as a social experiment . This could only be a 3 year sort of release to experiment on the western market with the game . It could be experimenting how well a PSO3 would work in the US and if it’s worth actually portion that when the time comes .

•could be for a quick bit of cash . Could be a short release , get cash and then say it failed and close it . I doubt it’s this one but you never know

•Microsoft offered them such a good deal they just couldent refuse . I mean it’s Microsoft we are talking about it’s got enough money to throw at a series like this to release in the west .

Could be a mix of these above

As long as they put an honest to god effort into making PSO2 a worthy game over here to truly determine it's success rate if they're that scared of just developing 3 for a global release, that's all that really matters. I just don't want to see balls dropped left and right and then it disappear again for a decade with a "we knew it wouldn't be a profitable venture"

Look at MH:W as the shining example. Niche game/genre over here forever, they FINALLY drop money into the game, upgrade the NES graphics it had for a decade+, polish up the low points with some nice QoL changes, and now it's their best selling game ever. When you have the foundation of a good game, (PS DEFINITELY has the foundation) invest in that and make it grow into something great for everyone!

All games that run on the Xbox one currently will work on series X from launch so need to worry about it being on a platform on its last legs.

@Leonkh99 said in I think this game is going to fail by the end of the year.:

The game closed since it was Sega's practice at the time to close their servers for old games they don't plan to support anymore.

So wait, you're telling me the game didn't close because it failed? No, I don't think so.

https://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2012/06/09/phantasy-star-universe-servers-shutting-down-soon.aspx/ wrote:

The announcement comes from Phantasy Star Universe's GM who said, "This was not an easy decision but there comes a time when we must consider the level of service and support we can provide for an ongoing game, and balance those concerns against preparing for the future, and providing you with new opportunities and new experiences."

That basically translates to "we can't keep the game running because it failed". It's the same general thing the Global Maplestory 2 staff said about GMS2's shut down.

Sigh, Matt, the quote flatout says "we must consider the level of service and support we can provide for an ongoing game". This implies they're shutting it down because it's been out for quite a while already and want to focus on their future products. It doesn't even try to imply that they can't keep running the game because it failed.

You're doing the thing again.

@Subject-Astra said in I think this game is going to fail by the end of the year.:

Sigh, Matt, the quote flatout says "we must consider the level of service and support we can provide for an ongoing game". This implies they're shutting it down because it's been out for quite a while already and want to focus on their future products. It doesn't even try to imply that they can't keep running the game because it failed.

You're doing the thing again.

Lol

Just to add to the convo here's what the Japanese side of Sega said for their server closure announcement (make this what you will):

I am Sakai, the producer of "Phantasy Star Universe Ambitions of the Illuminus" (hereafter "PSU").

I have some sad news news.

We'd like to announce the end of service of "Phantasy Star Universe Ambitions of the Illuminus" today.

■ Notice of termination of "Phantasy Star Universe Ambitions of the Illuminus"

http://phantasystaruniverse.jp/news/wis/?mode=view&id=1689 (Leon's Note: Here is an archive: https://web.archive.org/web/20120920042049/http://phantasystaruniverse.jp/news/wis/?mode=view&id=1689)

Six years have passed since the service started in 2006.

At the beginning of PSU, we had some really big trouble and had to deal with it.

The development blog that we started was unable to update satisfactorily and ended up ending.

We couldn't do anything at that time, and as a result everyone was greatly disappointed, and it was some stressful times for us.

About a year later, "Ambitions of the Illuminus" was released. However, it wasn't a big hit, and I couldn't release the new additional disc that was planned, so episode 3 was only delivered in story missions in network mode.

"Pantasy Star", which was compromised by "PSU", came back to life with the blockbuster "Phantasy Star Portable" that was a spin-off. This was followed up with "Phantasy Star ZERO", "Phantasy Star Portable 2" and "Phantasy Star Portable 2 Infinity".

The experience of those staff members is alive in PSO2.

Without "PSO" not only would not have gotten "PSU", but we wouldn't have the successful Portable series nor would "PSO2" be created.

With the success of the Portable Series, you can now pay for options, introduce free courses, and get new updates.

Although option billing and introduction of free courses were tough choices in difficult circumstances, it is also true that subsequent operations became possible.

It is now possible to add new fields based on the portable series and new original costumes.

It's been six years that I wouldn't say has gone well, but nonetheless I've been able to run it for the past six years thanks to the players who loved and supported PSU, despite the trouble. Hmm.

I have never forgotten about PSU.

We have made it over our own lives. I think we did our best in these 6 years because of the regrettable experience at that time.

Thank you to everyone who loved PSU.

After August 30, the premium course will be free of charge, so it will be a short while until the service ends, but I hope you can enjoy it.

The operation of "PSO" has ended, and now the operation of "PSU" is about to end.

However, the essence, spirit, and experience are definitely passed down to PSO2.

"PSO2" has just begun.

The server is also on the verge of stability.

Updates are coming soon, and a lot of fun is waiting.

Online games are growing games. Based on everyone's opinions, we will change to a more interesting and comfortable environment and increase the volume.

We will continue to respond to the opinions we receive from all of you, and we will continue to do our best to make even more people enjoy the online game by making better “PSO2”. I would like to come.

I'm really thankful to you.

And thank you for your continued support of the Phantasy Star Series.

Original post found here: https://ameblo.jp/sega-psblog/entry-11313145448.html

Excuse poor wording in some parts, you all know how Google Translate can be. I regardless did my best in some areas to make it sound better in English.

@Leonkh99 Off topic: I've been using DeepL Translator recently and have to conclude that it out performs its other free competitors. In most cases it's more accurate and nuanced than Google's. It somehow does a better job in grammar and context as well, often. Of course it too is not perfect but you might wanna give it a try yourself.

A little company outdoing major tech giants, weird world we live in.

https://www.deepl.com/translator

@coldreactive said in I think this game is going to fail by the end of the year.:

With no alternative MMORPG under SEGA's belt in the west, there's no reason why PSO2NA should shut down other than people not supporting it.

Are we having two different conversations? The context was the reason PSU shut down as a counter to the point that PSU did well in Japan.

Also Sega doesn't need MMOs. In addition to a number of Japanese exclusive mobile games, they have a number of successful offline franchises like MegaTen/Persona and Total War. Sega isn't an MMORPG publisher first and foremost like Nexon, PWE or X-legend.

Mine went to advance rent and bill payments.

To be fair there is a huge population of players that would love a retro classic phantasy star instead iof an mmo again

@ErinXh said in I think this game is going to fail by the end of the year.:

@Leonkh99 Off topic: I've been using DeepL Translator recently and have to conclude that it out performs its other free competitors. In most cases it's more accurate and nuanced than Google's. It somehow does a better job in grammar and context as well, often. Of course it too is not perfect but you might wanna give it a try yourself.

A little company outdoing major tech giants, weird world we live in.

https://www.deepl.com/translator

Ooh thanks! I'll definitely check it out! 🙂

@Lord-Papers said in I think this game is going to fail by the end of the year.:

To be fair there is a huge population of players that would love a retro classic phantasy star instead iof an mmo again

That would definitely be something cool to see! I'm a bit opposed to an actual "Phantasy Star V" if only cause the original saga concluded on a pretty climatic note... a Phantasy Star V might, story-wise, feel like an unnecessary continuation along the lines of the new Star Wars trilogy or games like MegaMan X6. That said I wouldn't mind a new turn based Phantasy Star title that did at least do its own thing story-wise while also being a tribute to the classic series.

On a side note... did ya know that the creator of the original Phantasy Star series, Rieko Kodama, was also responsible for Skies of Arcadia and 7th Dragon? In addition to Atlus' usual franchises it would be cool if Sega went back to those other RPG franchises (7th Dragon did conclude with its fouth game (labelled "III" however) which was the only one to be released in the West... a remake / port of the games before those would definitely be cool for those who never got to play those).

The moment I finished skies of Arcadia right away I felt like I needed more if it in my life.

@Leonkh99 Thank you for taking the time to do that. Your post was very informative.