I think this game is going to fail by the end of the year.

I think the fact that this game has been healthy since 2012 can atest to its ability to last. There's no need for the "I called failure first!" punditry, and no prize given for being that guy either. PSO2 is a very well oiled machine that works just fine under the formula that it follows, and that speaks as to why Sega has decided to finally bring Phantasy Star back to NA and Xbox. It's not an experiment, beta, or ever evolving game like Fortnite, it is PSO2 packaged and delivered as is, fully functional and operational. If you don't think it's going to work, you're going up against 8 years of metrics that indicate it does.

This game released in 2012 and has survived in jp with a healthy community.

there's a ton of people in block 1 and 2, but i've seen my first alliance fully fall apart with 2-3 online during peak hours, and my new alliance is mostly fashion stars in block 1. with 20 people online the other night, and not one interested in doing anything in the game related to actually playing it.

Shaq's are ghost towns, a lot of the urgents are filling up slower and i've joined some solo that didn't fill up at all.

I realize the PSO2NA inc. staff has no control over what is delegated to them by sega, so i feel like this is complaining to a wall. Although the staff here did , i assume, get the maintenance changed (big thank you for that). If you do read this please understand, we love the game, but it's boring AF right now.

The aq bonus event ? what for? I spent 50 rdr's hunting for a 12 star pet, that i didn't need, and didn't get. I can do all the content with my eyes closed and my 10* pets. I have maxed out other classes' in 13* weapons, maxed out, units, etc.. Why would i put myself through the same shaq's again for absolutely no rewards or rewards that require me to run it in excess of a hundred more times. another 999 boosters? a couple 10*'s , some 12*'s to sell for 50k when i can log in once a week and get the equivalent of those 20 hours of farming in 2 minutes. Ultimately, the rewards for time spent are just not worth it anymore and the game is becoming a complete ghost town end game.

PC players, are actually in a much better spot than console players (aside from missed scratches, that will probably rotate back in). Assuming there is no content drop on PC release, the game will mostly be PC players actively leveling and playing with a few high level console players spread out. If sega timed it right and pc players get a content drop after a month, all should be well on the pc base.

do console players return? Is that a large chunk of the paying customers? I am sure sega has data on what's happening. The 5 to 10 people i started with, have moved on to other gamepass games, back to FIFA/COD or w/e they were playing and I have no clue how retention works on mmo's .

we'll have a better understanding on just how many people jump on PC. If the numbers, go up dramatically game will be fine. if we're talking 3-5k players , I think the game is going to have serious longevity problems. I play jp on pc, and na on console but why would i jump on pc when it releases? I've already done all this on console...there's still nothing for me to do regardless if i am playing on xbox, ps4, pc, switch, w/e .

If population does not go up and pc crowd is small I really blame their lack of communication . Even this late and there is hardly any hype up for it like surely with it being close you would want to build some hype ? Only a rough date . I understand the rough date in April as it was a good month away but now we are 1 maintenance away and 2 weeks from the last week in May and it’s been about a month since any announcement regarding it has been .

If a surprise delay comes up then it’s safe to assume it will die by the end of the year because people will not keep waiting with this sort of communication and go play other things / go back to JPN server (some already have based on this communication) . But who knows at this point .

I kind of just see this as a complaint, sorry. Many games that have paid content are still alive to this date and have relatively small communities. This is also a game that is supposed to expand onto other consoles as well - not just PC. I see people asking for a PC release all the time; they just need to wait til the end of the month. I don't think this game is on track to be doomed due to paid content. I have many users in my alliance you have not bought a thing and are online every day enjoying themselves. Some have even found rares that I am having issues getting - and I pay for cosmetics, gold passes, premium and misc items. It's a matter of perspective. Sorry you're upset though OP.

@Taconight1977 said in I think this game is going to fail by the end of the year.:

there's a ton of people in block 1 and 2, but i've seen my first alliance fully fall apart with 2-3 online during peak hours, and my new alliance is mostly fashion stars in block 1. with 20 people online the other night, and not one interested in doing anything in the game related to actually playing it.

Shaq's are ghost towns, a lot of the urgents are filling up slower and i've joined some solo that didn't fill up at all.

I realize the PSO2NA inc. staff has no control over what is delegated to them by sega, so i feel like this is complaining to a wall. Although the staff here did , i assume, get the maintenance changed (big thank you for that). If you do read this please understand, we love the game, but it's boring AF right now.

It's not a wall, fortunately. A more suitable but by no means perfect analogy would be that it's a chain-link fence, and myself and others on the PSO2 Team glean community sentiment through visible spaces and then report it upwards. We do listen, and apply changes if possible.

The aq bonus event ? what for? I spent 50 rdr's hunting for a 12 star pet, that i didn't need, and didn't get. I can do all the content with my eyes closed and my 10* pets. I have maxed out other classes' in 13* weapons, maxed out, units, etc.. Why would i put myself through the same shaq's again for absolutely no rewards or rewards that require me to run it in excess of a hundred more times. another 999 boosters? a couple 10*'s , some 12*'s to sell for 50k when i can log in once a week and get the equivalent of those 20 hours of farming in 2 minutes. Ultimately, the rewards for time spent are just not worth it anymore and the game is becoming a complete ghost town end game.

The good news is that there are many types of campaigns (such as this https://pso2.com/news/announcements/arksboostrally) and events that PSO2 JP has enacted over the years to add additional incentive to complete some quests. NA also has the benefit of those campaigns and eventually events, at certain times.

in regards to the boost event, while it’s a nice incentive to try and get people running AQs again. The majority have put their time Into grinding them and have zero desire to ever step foot into one again. Quite frankly, most of us are sick of em.

@hAZE-1561 said in I think this game is going to fail by the end of the year.:

in regards to the boost event, while it’s a nice incentive to try and get people running AQs again. The majority have put their time Into grinding them and have zero desire to ever step foot into one again. Quite frankly, most of us are sick of em.

You know some people never tire of doing things when they have friends to game with. I can run AQs all day with friends having a good time in XBL parties.

I am excited about those quest rally events. I am upset however that my one day off during the week It is always maintenance. Sad but it is what it is, can't wait to run them this weekend.

@BFGesus said in I think this game is going to fail by the end of the year.:

It's not because of the lack of content, but because of how one's success is determined based on how much money they spend on the MTXs. Let's use two examples here; me and a friend I play with. Because I refuse to pay for two subs, or $25 a month to play this game, I am cut off from what many would assume to be basic features of any MMO which include selling things and trading with other players (thanks microsoft for making me pay a useless sub TO PLAY A FREE GAME!). These basic features disable me from playing half the game because let's face it, this game's endgame revolves around two things and only two things at the end of the day; grinding for 13-stars or whatever is selling hot and selling said things on the market. I'm at over 280 hours and have yet to get anything worth of value after grinding SHAQs +50 with my 50% triboosts and 250% rare drop boosts all day. I may be superstitious here but I think non-premium players get screwed on rare drops that are actually rare. Meanwhile another one of my friends who has premium found three 13-stars and three saiki back units (which sell for over 8 mil on my ship) in the past week.

The second example is this guy I play with. He is premium and spends a lot of money on this game. He regularly buys the 400% rare drop boosts (which are $9 a pop) and buys the ragol and sonic packs. He told me about a couple hours ago that he finds those saiki set units and 13-stars pretty easily and he also has over 100 mil already. He only has a little more play time than me. Do you know how demoralizing it is every time I get into a party chat and constantly hear these guys talk about how many millions they've made and how much rare gear they've found that day? It sucks. It f***ing sucks. And I know I'm not the only one here.

And to rub salt on the wound, they have a day dedicated to premium players that give them yet another boost to rare drops and other benefits. Every day I play this game it becomes more clear to which demographic this game was designed for. You can counter-argue that they make all this content free to play all day but you know what? What's the point of enjoying it if I don't have access to the basic features that make this game enjoyable in the first place?

752ac749-5f2c-4ce1-a59d-b5dd2ba41d36-image.png

@hAZE-1561 said in I think this game is going to fail by the end of the year.:

Another one who thinks his opinion speaks for the majority.

@Subject-Astra

Yup. Two of the three maps have extremely rare drops, so there are a lot of people still farming those maps to get their drops.

If "everyone" already got their aura and form drops, I don't think they would cost so much lol

@BB-Zero-Four it's been healthy in a jp market. The NA community at large isn't keen on the monetization practices put forth in pso2.

The most recent game with a similar model, maple story 2, is now dead in the west.

What are these glorious monetization practices?

Maple Story 2 is dead because it was badly managed.

@GM-Deynger said in I think this game is going to fail by the end of the year.:

@Taconight1977 said in I think this game is going to fail by the end of the year.:

It's not a wall, fortunately. A more suitable but by no means perfect analogy would be that it's a chain-link fence, and myself and others on the PSO2 Team glean community sentiment through visible spaces and then report it upwards. We do listen, and apply changes if possible.

The good news is that there are many types of campaigns (such as this https://pso2.com/news/announcements/arksboostrally) and events that PSO2 JP has enacted over the years to add additional incentive to complete some quests. NA also has the benefit of those campaigns and eventually events, at certain times.

I appreciate the follow up, and I know a large chunk of my posts are "complaint" oriented. I am at the "get off my lawn" age, but I do appreciate and take notice of the feedback that has results.