I think this game is going to fail by the end of the year.

Just so people know. In the latest live letter for Final Fantasy XIV, they revealed that due to development changes regarding COVID-19, the next major patch for their game, 5.3, is being pushed back by at least a month. (It originally was planned to release mid-june.) I expect as a result of this, a fair few groups of FFXIV players will be coming to PSO2 once it comes to PC. We could see a larger spike than most people are expecting.

I know Tate / golgentot is going to be streaming PSO2, and he's an avid FFXIV player. if you don't know who that is, you can have this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9fYaTLHjCs

@Taconight1977 said in I think this game is going to fail by the end of the year.:

If the ultimate gamepass consistently came with premium, i'd really have no issue. Most free to play games charge for things like inventory, loot boxes, cosmetics etc..

Why would you even bring up UGP with PSO2 when they are subscription to something completely different and outside of Sega's offerings?

@Fayde said in I think this game is going to fail by the end of the year.:

@Taconight1977 said in I think this game is going to fail by the end of the year.:

If the ultimate gamepass consistently came with premium, i'd really have no issue. Most free to play games charge for things like inventory, loot boxes, cosmetics etc..

Why would you even bring up UGP with PSO2 when they are subscription to something completely different and outside of Sega's offerings?

Xbox Live Gold is required to play PSO2 on Xbox, and some people prefer subbing to UGP over straight Xbox Live Gold.

Well I started off with wanting to say after reading every word of this thread. But I started skimming after Page 7 and on. More of the same or similar back and forth, pros and cons, bickering and counter bickering, etc. etc.

I am not known for my brevity. So what I will say is as follows. Playing PSO on the DreamCast and having followed it to the GameCube for a short time. This was the game of my life/youth. Never having truly played a digital game to such a length and for myself since then. And somehow never managed to get into anything between it and PSO2 NA in the interim 20yrs+/-. Almost pulled the trigger on the JP stuffs. But then I got wind of the PSO2 NA CBT. And ever since its almost like being able to meet your first love all over again and its everything and more a v2.0+ experience.

The F2P concerned/concerns me. But I don't care/try not to worry about it too much. I play it for the beautiful soothing musics and beautiful graphics. A game play complexity it took me at least 3-4 weeks to mostly wrap/re-wrap my mind around end to end. I LOVE that feeling of not being able to immediately comprehend/dominate the mechanics of a game within a day or first few days. The whole game mechanics and system feels so natural to me. This will sound funny but while I do understand the RP and Fashion aspects of it. It is not quite my thing. For me its all purely about the experience of the gameplay of the PSO worlds/universe.

PSO2 NA is a major quality of life enhancement for me. I love it love it love it so freaking much. To the extent that I can I will spread its good word as far, wide, and pwoerfully as I can. But most importantly. I'm going to play the mother living fork out of it until I'm the last connected player. When, hopefully if ever, that day may be.

Thank you.

o/ =^.^=

I don't think it is going to "fail" but I think the drop off rate is def going to increase. With most players, this game just became on of those $$$$$$$$$$$ holes mostly for fashion, but there is a lot of content exclusives for this, and I mean NA added the mission pass that JP never had. MY biggest concern with all this is the amount of content.

Not because of lack but because of excessive. The amount of content that is being released and the manner it is being released to catch up to the amount of content for a game that was released back in 2012. If you actually go into the catalogs of what items where released in Jp you will see hundreds of items both exclusive partnerships with anime's/other games and you can see that most of this will NOT come out here "fully" as some members have noticed some items from these anime's/game/ content releases split in mission passes, fresh find shops, scratch offs, and even ac shops, not to mention those extra exclusive offers, or SJ/AC bundles.

The amount of content then makes people go crazy buying everything, prices rise for "popular" items but Meseta being primary easier for those already with premium. There feels more of a grind then enjoying the game for some vs others. But most games are like this, other people just stopped caring and play the game for nostalgia vibes and also because the base game is enjoyable. But the clear separation is a bit annoying. Plus the missing content or even game play mechanics/alliance options for a game that should have had all this down before release. I mean it's not like it just came out. So definitely other people who where playing feel like been there and done that, but we feel this is their last cash grab before they decided to release an actual new game because of the success of this. But they will milk this for as much as they can because they infidelity have those people who will spend that kind of money and use the excuse of enjoyment over content, which is perfectly just for them. It is THEIR money and their enjoyment.

It's a fun game, the company is doing what looks like their best,, and the enjoyment is there as long as you don't mind losing out of toooooooooooooons of content because of how disgusting the market is. Plus honestly I rather have these people playing inside then going out and making my work more difficult. Still I am glad I was able to snatch the Lab coat though I already had a scientist setup. Still no game is forever....so far forever still hasn't ended. Still I am not defending the game or the players, but yes I don't think the bad things they do will effect the player base, if a game is toxic the smarter/weaker people will leave, those who stay are either immune or toxic themselves. All games are like this. Everyone is fair game, veterans, newbies, it doesn't matter. Here is hoping things get better, maybe they add that meseta mission weekly, maybe they add catalogs for missing content that can be bought at any time, maybe they add ac free scratch off for high level missions drop chances. Who knows and who really cares tbh.

@ERICK001BC What tons of content are you referring to? Every item that's on the player market can be attained by farming in game or are you referencing something else?

I honestly wasn't expecting pso to be even THIS populated considering the colossal wait for a western release and the fact that pso was rarely a famous, mainstream title ever. I'm actually very surprised and happy for the game's prosperity and the devs. It appears to me that the vast majority are enjoying the game immensely. I have friends who don't have premium or access to the market with top level gear, maximized classes and a lot of meseta. This complaint truly has just come around here, on this discussion, in this forum. I doubt this will be the cause for a drop in the playerbase in the future.

@SalutexMO said in I think this game is going to fail by the end of the year.:

@ERICK001BC What tons of content are you referring to? Every item that's on the player market can be attained by farming in game or are you referencing something else?

I was talking generally more about the fashion items example: http://www.bumped.org/psublog/pso2-jp-ac-scratch-directory/

But I hit max 75 on main/sub, and might start the other 2 characters as just meseta farming more than anything. But again I am a old veteran player and I been waiting for this game to come out to NA since it was first announced in JP but felt like all games it was going to be sony exclusive. I was super hyped it was coming to xbox na and switch (hoping there is a game cube mag evolution). But as a veteran It hurts a bit to see how the game value has changed in the years and how hard it impacted this game in particular. But that is besides the point.

The game obviously wants you to spend as much $ as possible, why else put mission pass and untradeable fresh find shop/mission pass items, and have other options as premium only trades. Can't even drop items I don't need to newer players unless I have premium to drop in alliance/ or trade. Still those are just facts and not really something that may effect your play style. But none the less it is there. There is a major difference in defending a game because you like it and ignoring actual bad practices. I have YEARS playing Warframe and before Gunz, but that doesn't mean I was blinded by the bad stuff that they do. The differnce is DE usually handles their options decently, similar to how the FF community did their things. But at this point if things don't get better they are going down the path of mobile game style purchuces, tokens(they already have 6 versions ingame ac/premium/sj/mp/xugp/rmp), and eventually pachinko machines.

A GameCube Mag Evolution would be really nice. Kinda complete a certain aspect of that nostalgic set.

Also to echo some recent updated posts. As I unashameably fall in the immune, nostalgic, haz money camp. And realizing that is a minority is why I ultimate do worry. Its the ever new players that will and almost can only grow the game to new heights/levels.

To me any F2P game has to be free player oriented first. Or as much as possible. Treating the premium players almost as secondary. It doesn't feel like a F2P game can grow, become great, and last a long time if you don't. While there are certainly a great many "work arounds" for the free player to achieve almost Premium-esque features/functions. It does seem onerous as hell to put it nicely to do so.

I'm sure this is always the eternal balance of such game deployment models.

Fwiw.

o/ =^.^=

@ERICK001BC Its already there my friend, one of the core mechanics around the game is Lottery Tickets which they try to get you to buy incessantly. RNG, RNG, RNG as far as the eye can see! This game is moblie-memey as hell. Multiple currencies, cash traps for the uneducated, whale feeding machines, it's all there. The one thing that saves this game however from it being feeling too oppressive and too predatory is that I don't ever feel like those paywalls are the only way to progress. Sure the games economy is dependant on whales and subcribers, but I, as a bottom feeder, still have the option to buy hand me downs on the market. The RNG can still be tilted in my favor to get rares, and I can still play along with credit card warriors without feeling that they have a distinct advantage over me. That is what separates this game from many others (Im freakin' looking at you BDO.)

But make no mistake, this game is already mobile-meme-personified. It is just the kind that doesn't irritate me.

@BFGesus

I don’t know that I agree that it will be dead, however, I do agree with you on the issue of having to pay two subs.

Having to pay for Xbox sub AND Premium sub is a bit much.

I’ll also add that star gem prices and the number of gems needed for items seems a bit skewed as well. Material storage for example is a must have, which runs 300 gems. That’s an additional 20$ or something if you don’t have em saved up.

@hAZE-1561 said in I think this game is going to fail by the end of the year.:

@BFGesus

I don’t know that I agree that it will be dead, however, I do agree with you on the issue of having to pay two subs.

Having to pay for Xbox sub AND Premium sub is a bit much.

I’ll also add that star gem prices and the number of gems needed for items seems a bit skewed as well. Material storage for example is a must have, which runs 300 gems. That’s an additional 20$ or something if you don’t have em saved up.

Pretty close. Depending on what price point you buy them at in the Microsoft Store 300SG is anywhere from $9-$15.

And hell yeah the Material Storage is a "essential business!" ;0 ;~)

o/ =^.^=

All valid points.

I definitely feel that storage is a must, even with the founders extra, I still need close to $100 just to make 1 character maxed with the default as well. But definitely running urgent quest and having to work with storage is not only a bad thing to the gamer but not fair to those doing it right.

Kind of reminds me of Destiny 1. It was fun and amazing and when the content released I was diffidently considering buying it. But when they started to Lock content to every other player and make weekly/nightfalls only for premium season pass members and not do any for regular members is when I dropped off. Separation from games based on how much you $ is always a game killer for me. As a free user (considering you buy the game) Any other treatment is just wrong.

If they ever decided to make some urgent quest or any other missions only accessible through some season pass/mp/premium that might be a kill shot for me. I love nostalgia and everything, but I still have my original gamecube and game, just not the online feature. Or I can load up zero on my ds.

If they ever decided to make some urgent quest or any other missions only accessible through some season pass/mp/premium that might be a kill shot for me.

even though i doubt it lets just hope it does`nt come to that.

@Likaizam said in I think this game is going to fail by the end of the year.:

@ERICK001BC Its already there my friend, one of the core mechanics around the game is Lottery Tickets which they try to get you to buy incessantly. RNG, RNG, RNG as far as the eye can see! This game is moblie-memey as hell. Multiple currencies, cash traps for the uneducated, whale feeding machines, it's all there. The one thing that saves this game however from it being feeling too oppressive and too predatory is that I don't ever feel like those paywalls are the only way to progress. Sure the games economy is dependant on whales and subcribers, but I, as a bottom feeder, still have the option to buy hand me downs on the market. The RNG can still be tilted in my favor to get rares, and I can still play along with credit card warriors without feeling that they have a distinct advantage over me. That is what separates this game from many others (Im freakin' looking at you BDO.)

But make no mistake, this game is already mobile-meme-personified. It is just the kind that doesn't irritate me.

You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.