Major difference between cutscenes and gameplay

Cutscenes look good while game play looks low rez.

https://i.imgur.com/zxMmp4U.png

https://i.imgur.com/HFkqeH1.png

Also, major lighting differences between the two.

Are you playing on an Xbox One or Xbox One S? Could be because of the lack of horsepower to make it look beautiful with all the characters in real time. (Xbox One/Xbox One S is less powerful than the PS4, even.)

Playing the game on the Xbox One X , however, the game looks WONDERFUL. I'm playing it at 4K/60fps and the lighting is very similar for cutscenes and real time, plus looks way higher resolution than your picture.

May have to upgrade your console to the X or wait for it on PC if you want something better looking.

The PS4 is not in any way a powerhouse when compared to an Xbox One/s. They are Very close in hardware output for the most part. It really just comes down to optimization. This game is not a hugely demanding game at all and I mean it's still a game from 2012. I hope they can iron out the harsh dynamic resolution on the base Xbox One version. It runs at a solid 60fps most of the time on the base Xbox One but at times with more players and heavy action and on Naverius and even in the lobby areas with a lot of people the dynamic resolution kicks in HARD and appears VERY pixelated. Also the base PS4 version has a toggle setting for dynamic resolution but it's missing in the Xbox One version, at least on the base Xbox One. I don't know if the X has the option. The differences between those scenes and the actual gameplay I believe is just a result of not using the new graphics settings that were developed side by side with the PS4 version when that came out (Tier 6) Once you get into the more recent story episodes you will see it doesn't look like those old ones at all.

I never said the PS4 is a powerhouse compared to the Xbox One, I just said the Xbox One is less powerful than the PS4. That isn't an opinion either, it's a fact. We're talking 40% more power on the graphics from base PS4 to base Xbox One. (Even if they both aren't super powerful to begin with, it's 1.31 TFlops vs 1.84 TFlops)

This is the reason you see a number of games that run on the PS4 at native 1080p whereas they run on the Xbox One at 900p or even less. (Tekken 7 is about 864p on Xbox One vs 1080p on PS4. Same for Red Dead Redemption and Monster Hunter World, they are both running at 1536x864. These are just a couple of examples... But even games much older do the same thing.)

You'll probably notice the Xbox One dropping resolution in this game, especially in the lobby, with a lot of different Arks on screen at varying distances. That screenshot definitely looks sub-1080p, which is why I stand by my first statement and say that OP should upgrade his console or play on PC. I highly doubt you're going to get any better optimization or display on the base Xbox One and it's going to be exactly how it is in Open Beta and release. The console isn't powerful enough for all the players, enemies, and special effects going on for an online game.

I'd be more than happy to play on PC, once it becomes available. Nevertheless just posting pics of what I am seeing. I play GTAV and just played Outer Worlds on xbox and they don't look that grainy. I find it hard to believe that a game this old should be more demanding than games that came out after it.

Having same issue on Xbox One S. Have tried multiple TVs, two different xboxes, played with in game graphics, tv picture options. Nothing worked. UI, cutscenes, text and everything else is flawless. But like you said, the gameplay quality is 480p at best

Looks as if I am going to have to tough it out till PC version is released. Not gonna go buy an X just for this game. Lol.

the game is REALLY awful...sometme when the ciy is full of player...my toon look like a bi g bunch of pixel..its ugly...It look like a old ps2 game. I mean , come on its a 2012 game. i bought a One S only for that game !

I noticed that resolution difference too, which was rather disappointing for me; I understand that the Xbox One is by now a fairly old system, but given that the game is 2012 vintage and runs fairly well, I would have expected somewhat better performance.

@Potion-Magic said in Major difference between cutscenes and gameplay:

the game is REALLY awful...sometme when the ciy is full of player...my toon look like a bi g bunch of pixel..its ugly...It look like a old ps2 game. I mean , come on its a 2012 game. i bought a One S only for that game !

Would you rather have sub-30 FPS with over 100 players, like in FFXIV? But keep the quality?

@oldColdReactive said in Major difference between cutscenes and gameplay:

@Potion-Magic said in Major difference between cutscenes and gameplay:

Would you rather have sub-30 FPS with over 100 players, like in FFXIV? But keep the quality?

@oldColdReactive has the right of it here, but I'll make a different point:

Yes, PSO2 is a 2012 game. However, the Xbox One S is also 2012 hardware. Despite being released in 2013, the Xbox 1S has an octa-core AMD Jaguar processor running at 1.75 GHz, 8 GB of RAM and a Radeon R7 360 Graphics card at 2GHz with a clock speed of around 1075mhz. So it should be no surprise when the Xbox 1S begins to chug noticeably when attempting to handle more than 15-20 avatars on screen at once. Or, to put it another way, your average 500 dollar gaming laptop or computer in 2020 with a Quad Core processor rated 2.7GHz, with 16 GB of DDR4 Ram, and a Nvidia GTX 1050Ti or better, is more than twice as powerful as the Xbox one S that you own, @Potion-Magic, largely due to 8+ years of architecture improvements. I'm sorry to say that, if anything, you were probably ripped off when you got that xbox one s. I would return it if I were you, and attempt to get the Xbox One X instead. If you're not wholly a console gamer, a bottom-of-the-barrel gaming PC that will run most things at high settings can be had for just $390 if you choose the right parts.

As Vicodin pointed out, people keep saying it's a "2012 game". Yeah, that's true. PSO2 is a 2012 game that targeted 2012 PCs, not 2012 consoles.

When consoles come out, they're usually still a generation or two behind PCs. They definitely were behind back then.

It's really not that surprising how the game runs on the Xbox One at all. So, yeah, again... Xbox One X or wait for the PC version. Really your choice, but don't expect any sort of optimization miracle or huge improvement for the performance on the base Xbox One or S. It is what it is.

You cant avoid that the game STILL need optimization . S or X i dont care...But did you saw a game pixalated like this before on this gen ? me, never.

Look at TESO and Tera and several other game that look good. I know I know PSO2 have 60 fps , that is great but with this much of pixel ...its not even fun. . Only for that time I would prefer 30 fps and a better resolution than this. The only time My game is ''ok'' its when im in a solo mission or in my ''room'' before the quest ( storage room ? )

I'm not going to directly complain about overall poor graphics that seemed consistent or anything but all I will say is that I noticed at random times I experienced a sudden drop in quality where aliasing became very apparent, and there were tons of blurred, low-poly graphics. But it usually evened out after a few minutes if it dipped so no biggie. I am playing on the original Xbox One for the beta but will play PC 4K when it releases so I'm hoping these dips I've been noticing are ironed out by then, which I assume they will.

Need an Xbox One X, i had zero issue even during the concert, it looked crisp, had a couple hiccups but the cutscenes looked the same as gameplay.