Story Mode

Seems to be a chain of 30 second clips. Am i missing the point? Serious question. Thanks

The version of the Episode 1 through 3 story that we have is a pared down version that was originally intended to serve as a Digest version of them when Episode 5 was introduced on the Japanese server. With Episode 6, this Digest version became the de facto version of Episode 1 through 3, and the old version was removed completely. Since the NA server is based on the Episode 6 client, that is the version of Episode 1 through 3 that we got.

@AndrlCh thanks for speculation. Makes sense that story might be streamlined. 8 years of content in 8 months is INSANE.

The story originally was very messy also, with alot of time traveling.

As the story progresses, things will start feeling more connected though. Also later on you get to experience a few future urgent quest bosses and even a couple areas that aren't available outside of the story.

I prefer to just skip the scenes and read a synopsis of the events, at least for these episodes.

@John-Paul-RAGE said in Story Mode:

I prefer to just skip the scenes and read a synopsis of the events, at least for these episodes.

Late Episode 2 and late Episode 3 are worth watching, though. I like how it revolves around the player character, for a change, instead of some schmuck NPC, like it's always been.

Watch the Episode Oracle anime, it does a much better job recapping the episodes 1-3 story with some extra stuff thrown in too. Then just skip all the cutscenes in the story mode version so you can get the free stuff they reward.

Honestly I don't even remember Void being a thing when I first played the story mode way back when and the new recap, don't seem to remember it being mentioned there either. Yet later I discovered it was in fact canon to the game. I thought all that stuff was just done by Luther on his own.

Yeah I'm enjoying the anime more

@Mattwo7 said in Story Mode:

Watch the Episode Oracle anime, it does a much better job recapping the episodes 1-3 story with some extra stuff thrown in too.

The story mode for this game makes a lot more sense when you understand that it's a condensed version of what the story mode used to be.

While you're going through the story mode, just imagine that you're on an expedition in the zone where the story scene takes place, and that you stumbled across the character and triggered a cutscene that way, because that's essentially what happened. And yeah, it probably makes a lot more sense when you watch it in conjunction with Episode Oracle. But the game and the anime do things a little differently, so it's probably best to watch them both rather than one or the other.

@QBlockGaming said in Story Mode:

And yeah, it probably makes a lot more sense when you watch it in conjunction with Episode Oracle

Episodes 1-3 in the game are Episode Oracle. Episode 4 is the sole episode of Episode Earth and episodes 5 and 6 are part of Episode Photoneer. That's why I said "The Episode Oracle Anime" and not just "Episode Oracle".

@Mattwo7 You know what I meant, that's just being pedantic at this point.

@QBlockGaming I'm just clarifying for those who didn't know.

Yeah, this version of 1-3 is... Kind of terrible.

As others have said, it's a "streamlined" version of what it used to be, but I'll elaborate a bit on that.

Originally there was a flow chart type thing full of objectives to complete for each chapter, such as killing certain enemies, completing certain ARKS Quests, etc., that would then unlock cutscenes and grant small rewards. Cutscenes would either be triggered by talking to certain characters in the lobby, or interacting with markers during expeditions, after which you'd be put right back to what you were doing. So there was originally a lot more context and flow to these scenes than just picking clips from a menu. In addition to that, Story Quests would actually be fully playable quests, while now they tend to just skip to the boss fight, though a handful of proper quests do still exist. There was also a time travel mechanic where after completing a Story Quest, you'd eventually revisit it and take a different path/make a different dialog choice, and alter the outcome. This still kind of happens, but it's harder to follow now.

This system got a bit of a bad reputation for being tedious and repetitive, which it certainly could be at times, and the current system was introduced as an Ep5 feature for new players to quickly get caught up without having to do the legwork. Then for some reason they cut out the old system entirely, and now the only way to experience the story is this disjointed playlist of cutscenes with the pacing and flow completely ruined that you can't even progress during normal play.

Episodes 4-6 will be better about this because they were actually designed and structured with this in mind, with more involved and more frequent Story Quests and a better sense of narrative flow.

My channel has a let's play featuring the original form of the story (along with other game play elements) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEDpWW3B1eY&list=PLz-kA-Y8m7w_smaFypn1r8kbubGTDxFaJ

Please note that the translation is based on the original form of the JP fan translation.