PC version on Microsoft Store?

Just stumbled upon this: https://www.forbes.com/sites/jasonevangelho/2020/04/15/heres-when-you-can-play-phantasy-star-online-2-on-pc/

PC version releasing "late may, exclusively on Microsoft Store".

Is this for real? At this point it's like Sega just gave up on PC version altogether, I see this as an obvious attempt at self-sabotaging the PC release. What happened to releasing it on Steam? Can we have some clarification on this?

lol if the PC version is going to expect me to have xbox live gold like the console version then, I'm just going to stop playing.

Didn't they say it was on Steam or were we the ones who assumed that? Because it sounds incredibly stupid to put it on the Microsoft Store when they KNOW doing that will hurt the game's PC release.

Yeah, it WAS supposed to come out on Steam. What the heck happened then? https://www.reddit.com/r/PSO2/comments/eyqxu0/phantasy_star_online_2_coming_to_steam/

if it's exclusively for PC on the microsoft store, can they require an live subscription for it? if so, i think a lot of people are just going to poof or go play JP.

@Nuebot said in PC version on Microsoft Store?:

lol if the PC version is going to expect me to have xbox live gold like the console version then, I'm just going to stop playing.

Online games on the Microsoft Store don't need xbox live gold, though since an official announcement hasn't been made yet, it's possible that the forbes article isn't fully accurate, so I wouldn't rule out a Steam release yet.

@Ezodagrom said in PC version on Microsoft Store?:

@Nuebot said in PC version on Microsoft Store?:

Online games on the Microsoft Store don't need xbox live gold, though since an official announcement hasn't been made yet, it's possible that the forbes article isn't fully accurate.

the author claims , on twitter, it's a sega press release. I can't find it.

I've seen a few articles this morning saying PC release for May 2020, but none of them have listed sources from what i could find. though an article I read said that the "Microsoft Store Exclusivity" might be a 1 year deal thing before it goes to steam.

https://www.destructoid.com/phantasy-star-online-2-is-out-on-xbox-one-now-pc-version-announced-for-may-587071.phtml

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jasonevangelho/2020/04/15/heres-when-you-can-play-phantasy-star-online-2-on-pc/#62c373214206

"Sega is being vague on the details right now, but I suspect it will ultimately land on Valve’s PC platform after a one-year exclusivity period (at most) on Microsoft’s platforms. At which point we should also see PSO2 drop on PlayStation 4 and possibly Nintendo’s Switch as a cloud-based title."

no idea how valid of a statement it is since there isn't any confirmation on this but imo that makes sense.

I run a distro of Windows 10 that doesn't support the MS Store. If it really is MS Store exclusive and not steam, I'll need to know how to access the direct download .appx file. This does work, it's how I got Ubuntu installed without the MS Store.

Atleast it isn't on epic.

Yeah I don't believe any of these articles yet since there is absolutely no word from social media team. I even checked the listing on the MS store and there's no mention of PC support yet. It's entirely possible one/some of the authors have an 'in' but until there's something official with SEGAC I'm not sold.

@GM-Deynger @gm-rappie thoughts? n-n

I would not be surprised in the least if this was a case of "Journalists had the info early and put the articles out a little too early before the company could give official word" and basically spoiled the news lol.

I have always thought it was going to the Microsoft store before going to Steam. Figured it would be a part of the Xbox live service as a "play anywhere" first, but I guess we will wait and see.

One thing to keep in mind is that they did say it would "release on XBOX One and Windows 10 first". This would technically be the only way that would be possible, since the only way to guarantee Windows 10 first is to have it solely release on Microsoft Store. As noted, however, in some of the article, there is no clear answer as to how long this exclusivity will last, but it typically does last for at least a year with timed exclusivity. Steam has also already been confirmed to be happening at one point, as well.

@Rantious said in PC version on Microsoft Store?:

Yeah I don't believe any of these articles yet since there is absolutely no word from social media team

To be fair, the social media team, outside of that one answer to a random comment, have never said anything at all about the PC version. Hell, even the game's description on their Twitter page only mentions Xbox.