PSO2 JP Dev Team announcement about coronavirus and what it could mean for NA

Let's be honest, if they're stopping the dev for a while on their own, far more important version, it's obvious they'll stop on the NA version as well.

@Taconight1977 said in PSO2 JP Dev Team announcement about coronavirus and what it could mean for NA:

The content is really stale already

You don't say. You barely have any content yet and this is still technically open beta.

@Taconight1977 the smart move is slowly catching up to JP content rather than dumping it on new players.

To be honest, they don't need to concern themselves with the opinions of players who played on the JP servers for all this time, because their opinion of the content pace isn't accurate of the primary market.

@Subject-Astra said in PSO2 JP Dev Team announcement about coronavirus and what it could mean for NA:

Let's be honest, if they're stopping the dev for a while on their own, far more important version, it's obvious they'll stop on the NA version as well.

@Taconight1977 said in PSO2 JP Dev Team announcement about coronavirus and what it could mean for NA:

The content is really stale already

You don't say. You barely have any content yet and this is still technically open beta.

If this is truly a beta and the content isn't complete, it'll be a dead game in 2 months. How many "open betas" do you play where there is no content announcement, release dates, plans after a month?

The communication of this games NA team is atrocious. It's not a beta, it's a demo. They aren't testing anything in this game. There's no drastic developmental features. I am so tired of this , "it's a beta" excuse for games. It's a demo version of the game.

@John-Paul-RAGE said in PSO2 JP Dev Team announcement about coronavirus and what it could mean for NA:

@Taconight1977 the smart move is slowly catching up to JP content rather than dumping it on new players.

To be honest, they don't need to concern themselves with the opinions of players who played on the JP servers for all this time, because their opinion of the content pace isn't accurate of the primary market.

alliances are already emptying out 3 weeks in. I played for 2 months on jp, not years. Their opinion was to release a fraction of the game, and trickle it out continuously. With the JP announcement that trickle will more than likely be even slower. You have a pc base waiting as well. As the game bleeds out and no announcements in site, I don't understand how you can defend the current state of the game and lack of communication.

If this is truly a beta and the content isn't complete, it'll be a dead game in 2 months.

You truly have no idea how much content still isn't in the game from the JP version, do you?

@Taconight1977 never defended the lack of communication. Simply stated the game doesn't need to drop 6 episodes on new players. Most of the bad reviews/content complaints I have read and witnessed are from players who came from the JP servers.

Destiny 1 survived 3 months with literally nothing to do but leveling before releasing anything at all, look at the following they built. As long as they are introducing more UQ every 2 weeks, it will do the intended function of teaching new players the mechanics.

@John-Paul-RAGE said in PSO2 JP Dev Team announcement about coronavirus and what it could mean for NA:

@Taconight1977 never defended the lack of communication. Simply stated the game doesn't need to drop 6 episodes on new players. Most of the bad reviews/content complaints I have read and witnessed are from players who came from the JP servers.

Destiny 1 survived 3 months with literally nothing to do but leveling before releasing anything at all, look at the following they built. As long as they are introducing more UQ every 2 weeks, it will do the intended function of teaching new players the mechanics.

Let's not forget that there's a lot more in this game than just the actual Episodes. Events and crossovers are numerous, PvP was also added, UQs, new difficulties, etc.

Are we really going to pretend that the slow release of content is for "The sake of new players" and not a very common marketing strategy that has been employed by literally every single Asian MMORPG since Ragnarok Online, to keep players in the game and feeling like there are "new things to do" and happy with the publisher´s effort and constant updating, also giving them some leeway with translating truly new content while the Western players play catch up?

I mean, do not get me wrong, i am actually all for the regular drip-feed of content despite being a 8 years PSOJP player as it allows us to re-experience it all the way it was meant to, and even to farm and obtain items that later on became important for upgrades.

But come on, do you really think that this would have been the model of content delivery they adopted if the market had proven that releasing everything at once made more money than the well tested and profitable drip-feed?

Heck, to begin with, the whole "it´s easier for new players" is a ridiculous concept, i know dozens of people who joined in EP 5 and EP6 and not one of them has had any issues quickly catching up and adapting to PSO2JP.

If anything, PSO2EP6 is easier than anything that came before for a new player, due to all the new "catch up events" and all of the new player helps and quests and incentives and guides that have been introduced.

@IfrianMMO there is a very large majority of the playerbase that doesn't even really understand how the mechanics of the game work just yet because they are only focusing on the leveling up aspect, so yeah starting with EP 1 - 3 is a better move concerning the goal of bringing it to the Western market, which is to build an entirely new playerbase.

This approach allows those newer players to both learn the game and experience the immersion of progressing through the important fights in a seemingly chronological way (if they are playing the story missions).

Throwing it into episode 6 where 75% of the content is DOA isn't a good way to build a lasting playerbase.

@IfrianMMO there is a very large majority of the playerbase that doesn't even really understand how the mechanics of the game work just yet because they are only focusing on the leveling up aspect, so yeah starting with EP 1 - 3 is a better move concerning the goal of bringing it to the Western market, which is to build an entirely new playerbase.

This approach allows those newer players to both learn the game and experience the immersion of progressing through the important fights in a seemingly chronological way (if they are playing the story missions).

Throwing it into episode 6 where 75% of the content is DOA isn't a good way to build a lasting playerbase.

I mean, the people that began playing PSO2JP in ep 5/6 also had to learn from 0, and once again, not one of the ones i know has ever had any issue with adapting or quickly catching up with the rest of PSO2JP, they had an easy time.

Nonetheless, i think you missunderstood me, i am not opposing to the idea that as an aftereffect, and a byproduct, some players may benefit from this strategy, as i have mentioned, despite playing on PSO2JP, i am one of the players who benefits from this model.

Why? Because i am casual as they come and on many occasions from ep 3 to ep 5JP, i have missed a lot of events, farms and loot lines that later came to bite me in the form of upgrades, events and new gear that i had much harder or no access to.

Personally, for me, it is great that this model is being implemented, so i support it.

All i am saying is that this is not "for the benefit of players" or "for the sake of helping newbies adapt" but because it´s a very effective and proven to work/profitable strategy of marketing an older game to a newer audience.

This is not about the players, this is about the money, and it always was.

Thanks for this important info Aida!

SEGA of JPN probably have skeleton staff in . Hense why they probably have postponed everything . Will the Pc version come out in spring 2020? Will the game get an update between? Who knows . The fact there is still a maintenance in the US is a good sign still and that in this case no news could actually be good news

I think this might be why they are keeping their cards close with saying when the PC version will come out in the case they say a date then keep having to push it back or push it back In definantly .

It's a demo version of the game.

To be fair, when PSO2 JP first came out - the Elder UQ was literally the newest content and people didn't find it demo version of the game.

To new players, it's not a demo. To people who played in JP, it'll feel like you are repeating the same thing which you kind of are, but it's unfair to new players who never touched PSO2 to be rushed and pressured by JP players who speed their way through and try to force new players to level faster and catch up to the content during "open beta" (I've quoted it since you don't feel that this is no longer beta feel to you).

3wmi7v.jpg

Twitch stats show 300 viewers average for March and April, it'll be interesting to see how it trends for May and June.

I think part of the issue is that we do so much damage, we basically delete everything so we never really have to struggle or improve our gear. I think for this to have worked better we would have had to have scaled slower, we melt things pretty easily and not even having experience with the game it was easy to figure out.