SEGA NA - Translations and Phantasy Star Online 2

For anyone that has played a game in the Phantasy Star series, the translation of PSO2 has been quite bad at capturing correct names for game systems, item names, etc. For new players, the experience comes off as amateurish as the translation is riddled with errors.

A few that come to mind:

Popular PSO items, weapons and unit names aren't translated correctly - not even close. Sato is a good example - Chat, really?

Numerous spelling errors and grammatical errors in the game text. Run on sentences, etc. Its very surprising seeing this come from Sega.

Please keep in mind, I'm not trying to be mean here, but this the translation seriously takes away from the game experience. Is Sega looking into correcting the numerous grammatical and item translation issues?

The game is still in Beta, so this is exactly what they are looking for the players/Beta testers to point out. It would be great if you could find and document (with screenshots and such) the errors you find and post them, so then the GMs can forward that to the team for them to fix.

@Hanzo-Or-Ganzo Nothing mean about your post at all, you make a solid point cause there are definitely some weird translation choices they made. Sure for new players to PSO2 or the Phantasy Star franchise, it won't be much of a bother or won't raise their eyebrows. But for some of us a couple of choices they made borderline the nightmarish 'Wizard' PSO2SEA did. I don't mind the grammar/spelling related errors cause the game is still in Beta indeed, But consistency in terminology should matter throughout the franchise.

(Wouldn't surprise me if in the localization of PSO3, a Rappy is going to be called 'Chicken'.)

@Hanzo-Or-Ganzo said in SEGA NA - Translations and Phantasy Star Online 2:

For anyone that has played a game in the Phantasy Star series, the translation of PSO2 has been quite bad at capturing correct names for game systems, item names, etc. For new players, the experience comes off as amateurish as the translation is riddled with errors.

A few that come to mind:

Popular PSO items, weapons and unit names aren't translated correctly - not even close. Sato is a good example - Chat, really?

Numerous spelling errors and grammatical errors in the game text. Run on sentences, etc. Its very surprising seeing this come from Sega.

Please keep in mind, I'm not trying to be mean here, but this the translation seriously takes away from the game experience. Is Sega looking into correcting the numerous grammatical and item translation issues?

@AndrlCh said in SEGA NA - Translations and Phantasy Star Online 2:

The game is still in Beta, so this is exactly what they are looking for the players/Beta testers to point out. It would be great if you could find and document (with screenshots and such) the errors you find and post them, so then the GMs can forward that to the team for them to fix.

I have actually made a thread for exactly this! Just to post screenshots of things with an explanation/suggestion of what the correct translation should say. See Here