Talis - Is it a decent option?

@Shmyules Have you tried the OTS mode? I think OTS mode is good when you want to position your talis in a certain place. 😊

@Shmyules One of the many reasons I chose to stick to a Rod build... Different strokes for different folks.

I prefer the damage bonus Rods give, and I have enough defense to withstand casting close range techs in a top tier boss battle, so using a Talis is just an chore at this point (for me anyway). Photon Bullet is an excellent skill for recharging PP while doing a more than fair amount of damage as well... again, just my own opinion.

@GM-Sohee I've been playing around with it. I enjoy playing the game on controller so OTS is a difficult. I have been practicing going into OTS mode, looking up at the sky (where hopefully there is nothing for the talis to collide with!), deploying, then switching back to lock-on and attack. The Talis ring definitely helps!!

@Shmyules said in Talis - Is it a decent option?:

Does anyone here have tips on deploying your talis? I was struggling to actually get it down when I was playing around with it. What I noticed is that if it hits an enemy, a wall, or the ground it just disappears and doesn't deploy. Becomes a real problem in confined spaces because it shoots out so far.

If you're in a confined space, you need to get used to 'pausing' the talis by using a tech. If you start charging your tech, it'll stop moving and sit in that spot until it expires, so you can deploy it closer to yourself this way. If you use the skill "Talis Fast Throw' then it'll move too fast for this to work, and always pretty much reach max range. So you need to toggle that off in those situations.

If it hits an enemy it should still stay out.

If it's hitting the floor due to weird slopes of the terrain, try either using free aim to throw it up higher, or jumping and then throwing it. That usually works for me.

@Cheltaran13 I just discovered this yesterday evening! I was following a guide that was pretty dismissive of talis. Just a footnote in the guide where it said if you wanted to use talis, get the two skills related to it on the skill tree. I'd never used talis without fast throw. Crazy how much utility you lose by using that skill.

I'd never used talis without fast throw.

Using Fast Throw is equivalent to using Rod's "shoot" skill for when you need PP quickly. The problem with Talis is that it pierces through enemies (IE: the thrown talis goes through enemies), which can be detrimental on certain Bosses. Thankfully, Talis' Fast Throw is a "Stance," skill, which can be turned on/off from your sub-palette if need be, on the fly.

The problem with that, is that stance skills are off by default when changing blocks/etc. and can really throw you off when you enter a new quest with it off when you previously had it on. (Which is why I'm glad stance skill icons shine so bright when they're on.)

@Cheltaran13 I just discovered this yesterday evening! I was following a guide that was pretty dismissive of talis. Just a footnote in the guide where it said if you wanted to use talis, get the two skills related to it on the skill tree. I'd never used talis without fast throw. Crazy how much utility you lose by using that skill.

I think fast throw has its uses, but personally I leave it off most of the time. It's great that you can toggle it on/off, so you can use what's right for your situation.

Eg. If I'm in a large enough area and in a full 12 person MPA, I'll usually hang back as far as I can to avoid the enemies. Getting your Talis into the thick of things faster can be useful. But in a smaller group or when you're solo, it's really annoying because the enemies will be right in your face and you'll pretty much always over-shoot and have the Talis too far and miss the close up enemies. As Coldreactive said, it's also good for if you need PP. In most situations though, I prefer standard Talis throw, as it gives you more control over it.

I like playing talis, but there's one drawback. After casting spells when using them, it's difficult to restore PP. and when u're alone, that doesn't look good.

I mostly use my tails for whenever zondeel would be useful.

@Sinventus-0 said in Talis - Is it a decent option?:

I like playing talis, but there's one drawback. After casting spells when using them, it's difficult to restore PP. and when u're alone, that doesn't look good.

What subclass are you using? I play Fo/Te and if you take Charge PP Revival on the FO tree and then max out PP Restorate and PP Convert on the TE tree you should rarely have PP issues. With maxed out PP Restorate if you can manage to stand still your PP should recharge faster than you use it for most techs, and then for the more expensive ones or when you need to move a lot you can pop PP Convert.

PP Restorate gives +140% passive PP recharge rate when moving and +350% when standing still.

I almost never have to manually recharge my PP using an attack.

As time goes on, standing still for PP recovery will become less and less viable. EP5 mobs have a hate boner for ARKS who aren't dodging. Oh gee what gives, the upcoming new class is a Dodge spambot.

The rod is far superior in every way. Likewise for Techter Wand is the option you will 100% want to go with.

Talis makes certain Techs usable but it lakes the pure tech power that a rod will provide. Most of the techs you would use have more powerful techs that are easily cast using a rod.

Hero Talis is another story. Makes Talis usable as an actual weapon.

@darkchild360 said in Talis - Is it a decent option?:

The rod is far superior in every way. Likewise for Techter Wand is the option you will 100% want to go with.

Talis makes certain Techs usable but it lakes the pure tech power that a rod will provide. Most of the techs you would use have more powerful techs that are easily cast using a rod.

You either don't understand the game mechanics or don't know hot to properly utilize the Talis to come to this conclusion.

@Cathy said in Talis - Is it a decent option?:

You either don't understand the game mechanics or don't know hot to properly utilize the Talis to come to this conclusion.

My religion is Cathy so I endorse this message.

If you want to be more mobile with your techs, you're going to have to use Talis, period. It's also the only weapon you'd choose if you're going support or assist. (Until All-Class Harmonizers come out with Ultra Hard. Or are going Ranger Sub for a static team with Techter.) Talis Deployment far outweighs Rod's raw stats. Not to mention a few other benefits through potentials, etc.