Talis - Is it a decent option?

I am building a FO/TE - and I enjoy the Talis - should i bother with it, or maybe just use it for support Techniques?

Rod vs Talis is just preference on playstyle. strength and weakness is minor difference. its pretty much short vs long on normal hits.

i not sure about Class skills, tho.

Talis has much lower damage than its rod variants, because it can be deployed and has more utility as such. As an example, you can use the self-circle (PBAoE) attacks / healing at a distance rather than around yourself. Originally, talis would actually aim your directional spells at your crosshair when using Over-The-Shoulder (OTS) Mode as well, but JP made it so they only aim where you're facing instead because they thought that was too OP.

Rod life.

I like talis once I unlocked the longer distance perk.

Okay, some actual math Here. Talis are stronger than rods. 20% Tech damage easily trumps the tiny stat advantage that rod has. However that Talis exclusive damage buff doesn't apply to the currently unreleased Compound Techniques (except one) so for those its more beneficial to actually use a Rod instead. Also once the level 85 Skill releases, Rods will turn Photon Flare into a 20s overdrive Button where almost every Technique cast from a Rod will be Compound level strong (in terms of DPS not the actual Damage numbers) however once those 20s are over you're just gonna cast a compound Technique and then Talis becomes the better option again for the next 60s

Tl;dr playing solo Rod is perfectly fine, playing solo Talis is kinda icky, playing both weapons can be clunky but is the best "max DPS" strategy. The best Fo players know when to use which weapon based on encounter and some encounters even force you to use Talis.

How icky are we talking? I doubt I'll do anything especially high level, but for me Talis is the reason I wanted to play Force because its such a cool weapon.

@PerfumedTree200 said in Talis - Is it a decent option?:

How icky are we talking? I doubt I'll do anything especially high level, but for me Talis is the reason I wanted to play Force because its such a cool weapon.

Talis is basically a rod that you can deploy. You should be using the deployment when you're faced with an enemy that always faces you and you cannot hit its weakpoint without being behind it/etc. As I said earlier, Deploying allows you to use your PBAoEs at a distance rather than around you. Of course, you need to make sure you understand how to deploy and keep it deployed. It can be tricky to do if you're moving around a lot. You don't have to deploy it if you plan to just use spells from your location like a rod.

I'm getting the hang of deployment, and the AoE options are very handy at fulfiling my power fantasy. I've found that turning off Talis Fast Throw is helpful for when I don't want the talis to move go too far, as then I can activate a technique while it's travelling and it then seems to stay in a spot I couldn't otherwise throw it to.