9 million ARKS!

...where!?

They lost their lives during the 9 years of service (or got banhammered)

Just like Squre-Enix did, they are counting inactive accounts and accounts they've banned/terminated for one reason or another. In SE's case they count the un-subscribed, too. We could barely get 30k retweets out of 21 seperate tweets in 27 days so there is for damn sure not 9,000,000 real arks players.

Today, of the 9,000,000 accounts that have been created over PSO2s lifespan, 7,750,000 are likely bots/rmt and 1,230,000 ditched the game over time (or got banned), 17,000 only log in for updates and weekies, and the rest play religiously. Probably being too generous on the occasional logins.

Yep! I agree with you guys on that one! I agree......now don’t get crazy with it.

We'd be lucky to see 9000 ARKS.

For all we know 4million of them are out there red boxing!

@Furious-0 They are just hibernating until winter. Sleep is the best medicine for all that ails you.

Maybe they're counting players that are playing other Phantasy Star games and not just PSO2/NGS? Currently I'm playing Phantasy Star IV on my Genesis.

@Frathlir said in 9 million ARKS!:

Maybe they're counting players that are playing other Phantasy Star games and not just PSO2/NGS? Currently I'm playing Phantasy Star IV on my Genesis.

Could be......which is better.....

@Frathlir I can guarantee you they sold way more than 9 million copies of their single player, never online games over the course of making phantasy star games.... but no its only about SegaID accounts registered for JP PSO2 and Steam/Epic/Microcrap accounts for Global PSo2 combined.

Like others have pointed out, they are counting everything, so that includes the bots and other banned accounts over the years. Even my Japanese server account that I haven't used since I created it in 2017 is counted.

It's a bit sad that Sega think this is some kind of accomplishment. Active players are what matters, those are the numbers I would be interested in seeing.

Have they done this type of event announcement before? And why 9mil and not 10mil. Why now? And does the magic number 9 mean anything?

Are they doing this for investors or sponsors?

The number 9 is considered to be a lucky number in some Asian cultures. However, Japan is an exception to this, where the number 9 is associated with suffering.

"Even the strongest among us has a heart full of hardship, pain, and sorrow." — Matoi

@Rei-Murasame said in 9 million ARKS!:

Japan is an exception to this, where the number 9 is associated with suffering.

Wow!! I looked it up and you are right! Lol.....it’s both lucky and unlucky at the same time with the Yin and Yang connotation.

Maybe they are giving us clues to something? Because it just odd they picked 9mil to me personally.