So are NGS forums just not happening anymore?

The recent announcement of this forums going read only soon said nothing about NGS forums. Which are still being advertised on the NGS website. Did you guys straight up forget you had plans for those?

alt text

And no I will not be joining the discord due to hating overcrowded servers where a dozen people talk at the same time nor use Reddit due my personal boycott against the platform. Getting rid of forums feels dumb to me and it's not like this place reached PSO-World levels of dead yet.

I would be surprised if the NGS forums ever happens considering the s***show that is this place.

And the discord server isn't much better. So whats the point? Forums are far easier to moderate and have constructive discussions with as well as being easier for people to read who just google issues on the internet / search for specific information like guides etc.

Reddit goes read only after a 6-12 months (i don't remember which) plus moderation is hit or miss. the PSO2 subreddit was notorious for having an automated block on pretty much everything so getting anything posted there was a pain (tho i havent used it since before PSO2 GL release due to said boycott so they might've loosed it up a little). Either way stuff is still drownining into the abyss on that platform since fashion, memes, rants etc all use the same channel. Neither of these are ideal platforms to use as a replacement for official forums.

@Cathy said in So are NGS forums just not happening anymore?:

And the discord server isn't much better. So whats the point? Forums are far easier to moderate and have constructive discussions with as well as being easier for people to read who just google issues on the internet / search for specific information like guides etc.

Reddit goes read only after a 6-12 months (i don't remember which) plus moderation is hit or miss. the PSO2 subreddit was notorious for having an automated block on pretty much everything so getting anything posted there was a pain (tho i havent used it since before PSO2 GL release due to said boycott so they might've loosed it up a little). Either way stuff is still drownining into the abyss on that platform since fashion, memes, rants etc all use the same channel. Neither of these are ideal platforms to use as a replacement for official forums.

I honestly believe Discord is easier to moderate considering this place is a ton worse, has a bot problem, and the discord seems to have a bunch of active mods... at least more then here.

Honestly I was shocked that we had one in the first place. I cannot remember the last time I saw an actual forum, let alone used one.

@Cerisa yeah it's true that Forums lost a lot of popularity but I still use them a lot. Prior to PSO2 GL I was mainly active on PSO-World, not using the Fleet Dircord server for the above mentioned reasons. And i still use GBA Temp forums from time to time. Not to mention Resetera forums are very popular although i don't use them. Every issue I ever had i fixed by a google search that led me to a forum thread.

@Cerisa said in So are NGS forums just not happening anymore?:

Honestly I was shocked that we had one in the first place. I cannot remember the last time I saw an actual forum, let alone used one.

You are using one now, so that's a bit of a redundant thing to say don't you think?

Shutting down these forums is a huge mistake, most most people here even shot down an idiot who wanted that (looks like he is getting his wish anyway).

Not everyone wants to use Discord for everything, and Reddit is a clunky mess, these forums were well organized and had much better formatting, they need to stay open or we get a viable replacement (like an official NGS forums).

If the shut down is because of those damn spambots, there should be a system added to auto-ban them since they use exact same walls of text, just with a different account name.

Once these forums shut down we will lose a valuable part of the PSO2/NGS community, so lets enjoy this while we still can.

I guess the Steam forums are an alternative when this site goes down. I had a fun time with everyone here and sharing my experiences. Sad to see it go.

@Cathy As much as I agree with your view on this, (even though I use the official Discord) I think what Nic just said, makes sense. The Bot issues, coupled with the clunky nature of the design of these forums, (as GM's frequently have issues erasing threads, then there's that 180 second between posts thing, that's not supposed to even be there, that seems difficult to solve, as it seems tired into a core component of these forums) got the GM's to just decide to close them down. Even with the beautiful way it's formatting is setup, and easy to navigate in most cases. The forums seems to have had too many oversights when it was designed.

That said, I would hope that it wouldn't entirely rule out the NGS forums, and an entirely new forum site, that's remade from the ground up to be both more moderator, and user friendly. Judging by the post dreamweaver made, (that you shared in that other thread) it sadly seems like that hope is in vain, and that there won't be any NGS forums. And that saddens me.

@Anarchy-Marine Yeah that's exactly why I haven't been active for the past couple of months. I fully expected them to make new forums for NGS with new forum software that's better for moderation & a better, more intuitive design with maybe more features, like ranks based on the amount of posts or a like system to elevate posts with good contributions. or some actual account tie-in features like being able to see your In-game character as profile pic without relying on self made screenshots. FFXIV & WoW seems to pull it off so why not PSO2...

I'm not a fan of this decision in the slightest.

@hee-ho The Steam discussions are just as bad as Reddit, only the screenshots and artwork sections work properly, not to mention it cuts off anyone on the non-Steam versions of PSO2/NGS.

Yup. 😂

It's like a self-fulfilling prophecy, considering the first news we've had in almost a year here on the forums is that they are making the forum read only. If you put zero effort into maintaining it, it's easier to turn it off rather than starting now. Not like they were interested in anything that was happening here in the first place. The only question is why it existed in the first place.

I'd probably be banned too if they were paying attention. A much nicer atmosphere would ensue.

Honestly forums lost its place when social media took form. Discord only made them more barren even with popular games.

Should head over to the steam forums and see what kind of joke they are.