NGS - genshin impact comparison

So I've seen people compare ngs and genshin pretty often but I don't think anyone has bothered to actually compare the development of each game.

So both games began development in 2017, genshin released in September of 2020 with 2 full cities in 2 full regions. Both regions are full of life from animals enemies and npcs, dungeons hidden treasures and extensive storylines and quests. Even fast players took about 2 to 3 weeks to complete everything with most average players taking a month or two and even after that there was still plenty to do to build your characters.

Compare that with NGS which released in June 2021, almost a full year later, and we got 1 region which feels really empty in terms of enemies animals and npcs, a very short story line which is used almost solely to introduce the combat zones, 1 city with nothing to do aside from afk and show off your fashion, only 2 urgent quests no dungeons and no real replayable content.

While I can understand that the game play differences definitely affect how much we can replay with having a team of 4 to lvl and gear out with the roster of characters ever expanding but I do feel like sega could have and should have had a lot more for us to do at launch.

Y o U c A n T c O m P a R e T h O s E g A m E s.

good luck in the thread replies.

i haven't played jenshin, but does that game have such a detailed character creator? aesthetically you can customize your pj as much as pso2?

I think this game was not made thinking that it would be made from 0, I mean that items and other details of the previous version were kept, doing that takes a long time? It is not that I am defending this game but there are many details as a user without knowledge in Informatics that seem to be simple but as a programmer I know that they are not xd

as I said I have not played it but I have seen some videos, but I do not see similarity between pso2 and that game

@DigresiveSin said in NGS - genshin impact comparison:

While I can understand that the game play differences definitely affect how much we can replay with having a team of 4 to lvl and gear out with the roster of characters ever expanding but I do feel like sega could have and should have had a lot more for us to do at launch.

There are many players that feel the same way and many more feeling dejected. Most are waiting patiently to see what the content drop will be in winter, with many hoping for the best. However, if SEGA does stumble and basically release the same amount of "content" we got with the Aelio region when NGS first was introduced, well... That could potentially push a lot of people away from the game entirely.

Right now, all we can do is wait and see.

@DigresiveSin I stopped playing after the second region, liyue(i think was the name), since the incredibly tiresome and endless talking got unbearable. "Look! A giant monster! Let me just tell my life story. I'll also recite my goals and spew some history lessons, again, even though nobody asked. I'm sure you can't wait to hear more political BS that is neither hear nor there to our situation, but the destruction of the land will wait until i stop talking. Skip? Oh, you sweet summer child, there is no skip. Sit down and shut up!" I admit that i wasn't really paying attention to what they were saying, but that's what you get with such indescribable garbage. Couldn't even go do something else since combat could start at any moment.

I'd rather have no story than listen to that nonsense.

And now that that's out of my system, i'll leave you to it since you can skip the story in PSO2 and NGS.

@Chantro said in NGS - genshin impact comparison:

i haven't played jenshin, but does that game have such a detailed character creator? aesthetically you can customize your pj as much as pso2?

You can choose to play a male or female character. That's it.

Feels like a bait thread, but I'm gonna bite just to dunk on Genshin a little.

First off - I agree that NGS is extremely lackluster, but fix some of the information. I don't know if you are from the future or what, but June 2021 to now is not "almost a full year later". We're up to 3 urgents now, but yea it still sucks especially when there's no way to know when and what are coming up. As for dungeons - technically there are cocoons and towers, but yes, they are made with very little replay value.

I think in one of the interviews, they did say quite a bit of development was spent on making PSO2 and NGS stuff compatible with each other. Although both games are using their in house graphic engine, NGS is using a much more updated version that PSO2 graphics had to also get updated to be compatible - whether it was a good or bad decision, it is debatable, but yea - there's still a game with 8+ years of content locked behind the shallowness of NGS.

Now I'm going to start dunking on Genshin - if you don't want to see it, skip it. When Genshin trailers were first shown, it received quite a bit of criticisms for PLAGIARISM. It was basically a Breath of the Wild clone with a more anime style characters pulled from their other game Honkai Impact 3rd. The temples mechanic, the climbing stamina system, heck even the initial gliding trails graphics and swimming water ripples graphics were pulled directly from BotW (I don't know if this is still the case). Honkai Impact 3rd was also notorious for stealing other games' stuff, alot of the combat motions are pulled directly from other games with just adding some light effects to make it more flashy. I would go find those youtube videos again talking about miHoYo always copying - but they are in Mandarin Chinese. Yea, it really cuts down development time when a huge part of your game is copied from elsewhere.

@HarmlessSyan said in NGS - genshin impact comparison:

First off - I agree that NGS is extremely lackluster, but fix some of the information. I don't know if you are from the future or what, but June 2021 to now is not "almost a full year later".

@DigresiveSin said in NGS - genshin impact comparison:

So both games began development in 2017, genshin released in September of 2020...

Compare that with NGS which released in June 2021, almost a full year later...

I believe what the OP was trying to state that NGS was released almost a full year later after genshin. Not that NGS itself has been out a full year.

@Berserk-Nevi i see, my mistake then

@HarmlessSyan I actually forgot about mihoyo's copy pasta of assets.so that's a fair point. Even still with them trying to make pso2 stuff compatible with ngs is still feel like we should have gotten more bang for our buck on release

Considering the fact that they copy/pasted a lot of their own code from base into the foundation of NGS, even copying the incredibly tedious and outdated playershop UI, I would have expected them to be able to copy/paste a lot of the mini games from base over to NGS without too much issue, as well as alliance quarters/player quarters, etc. Of course, it wouldn't have been 100% seemless, but they definitely could have added those.

It feels like maybe they spent a lot of time on developing the "open world" using their old code, because doing so from scratch would be too "time consuming", plus they had to make both BGS and base seemless off one another, so by sticking with the old foundation, it took them a lot longer to perfect it and make it function to the point where we have it currently, hence why we have a whole "open world" filled with the absolute bare minimum.

I spend a lot of time on base nowadays and just a minor thing that irritates me is that they kept in the system where you can only fish/mine a certain amount before you have to pay SG, where in NGS they got rid of that limitation. (I hope QoL changes come to base at some point).

genshin isnt a real g ame and shouldnt count for anything.

pso2 has its own problems, genshi* has worse

@dalamar said in NGS - genshin impact comparison:

genshin isnt a real g ame and shouldnt count for anything.

pso2 has its own problems, genshi* has worse

Ironic that something you don't consider a game has more game in it then NGS.

@Ashe-Kinsilla said in NGS - genshin impact comparison:

Why not? Both are open world games focused on gathering and exploration. If anything genshin is a perfect comparison because they're both f2p and share such commonalities.

Asinine responses like this make it hard for anyone to discuss anything civil.

The FF14 comparison people here make has little to no validity since they're separate games with separate ideas of content. One on exploration and the other on instanced content. Not to mention one is pay 2 play while the other is free 2 play. They have little to do with one another unlike Genshin which has a lot of similarities.

People can hate on Genshin and Mihoyo as much as they want; fact is, Genshin is probably one of the most popular games on the market right now and had plenty of content, even from day one.

My guess for this difference is passion from the higher ups. Apparently, the CEO of Mihoyo plays the game and even streams it. Can't really say the same for Sega and NGS.

Is it perfect, hell no. Artifact farming for example is asinine. However, it is still an overall better game than NGS at the moment with plenty more to do outside of dailies or loops.

@Zeke said in NGS - genshin impact comparison:

@Ashe-Kinsilla said in NGS - genshin impact comparison:

Why not? Both are open world games focused on gathering and exploration. If anything genshin is a perfect comparison because they're both f2p and share such commonalities.

Asinine responses like this make it hard for anyone to discuss anything civil.

The FF14 comparison people here make has little to no validity since they're separate games with separate ideas of content. One on exploration and the other on instanced content. Not to mention one is pay 2 play while the other is free 2 play. They have little to do with one another unlike Genshin which has a lot of similarities.

You actually thought I was serious with how I typed "you cant compare those games"?

Hold on I need to take some time to think how asinine my response was by laughing for a good 15 minutes.