Where's the NGS story content?

The story of PSO2 is one of the reasons I love it so much. But NGS feels very lackluster in terms of narrative content. I blew through it in less then a day. I dont know the cadence of story content for PSO2 when it first released in Japan many years ago. But there really isn't any reason for me to continue to play NGS at the moment. At least for me. So I'm just wondering when we are going to get more story content. I really want a reason to play the game again.

SEGA listened to the "fashion is the only true endgame" clowns way too much, so AC scratches come first and actual content is last in line. Check back during winter.

According to the most recent interview with Hiro Arai, Story continent is going to be light, and have minor story added every 2 months with major story added every 6 months, but overall unlike PSO2 there will be less story to work with, so we shouldn't expect too much story in the winter update.

Its basically an Afterthought. AC scratch is true story :3

This is upsetting to be honest

@Senketsu7 Welcome to NGS, where the actual game doesn't matter and SEGA shoves gacha in your face

The problem lies in the fact that we were given so much at once in base PSO2, I think that most of us got used to that fact. Now in its successor, We are expecting the same as before. Is that really a reason to tell oneself that you need to enjoy the game?

@Sakesubaki No, I think most of us were expecting the bare minimum to call something a game rather than a dress-up doll platform.

@Senketsu7 Don't worry, i'm sure your character will be the chosen one who will save the universe, again, sooner or later. Since you technically didn't do it single-handedly last time, we can surmise that this time you will to one up the last living weapon.

@Sakesubaki said in Where's the NGS story content?:

The problem lies in the fact that we were given so much at once in base PSO2, I think that most of us got used to that fact. Now in its successor, We are expecting the same as before. Is that really a reason to tell oneself that you need to enjoy the game?

I don't think that's the case for everybody. Sure, some probably did get way too used to big updates every few weeks on base PSO2GL, but the thing is NGS's content drip is far worse than what one experienced during old JP days. Unlike NGS, those of us who played the original PSO2 on JP had plenty of things to do during really long content droughts. NGS has little to nothing to hold the player's interest and it was basically released as an open beta test lol.

Edit: I forgot to mention that the JP community is equally as pissed as Global, so yeah... it's not people who are used to speedy global progression that have a problem with the current state of NGS.

Ah yes, the tired and constantly debunked "you're just used to accelerated updates" defense.

Never gets old.

Tbh. If Sega had to sell this at a fixed market price. This game would be worth 5€ before micro transactions. The story so far is a bad joke

Does anyone else get the feeling that this game was supposed to be PSO3 and due to either an inability to work on it or a lack of interest they decided to toss it out as an expac to PSO2 and make as much money off of it before the servers shut down?

@Senketsu7 said in Where's the NGS story content?:

I dont know the cadence of story content for PSO2 when it first released in Japan many years ago.

JP PSO2 started with multiple chapters on launch (up to Matterboard 5), and afterwards 1 matterboard was released every few months. By the end of that year (5 months after launch), the climax of the episode 1 story was released (Matterboard 8, the fight against Dark Falz Elder).

The following half year (until the release of Episode 2) had the release of 3 more Matterboards, the Huey ARKS tournament, and the 2 Quna matterboards.

Basically JP PSO2 had more story available at launch than NGS and reached the climax of the episode in the time NGS is taking to just get its 2nd chapter.

@Adreankael said in Where's the NGS story content?:

Does anyone else get the feeling that this game was supposed to be PSO3 and due to either an inability to work on it or a lack of interest they decided to toss it out as an expac to PSO2 and make as much money off of it before the servers shut down?

NGS is indeed the next mainline game, it just was decided early on to tie it to the current PSO2 to not leave the existing players and the cosmetics they've gotten over the years behind.

The lack of content at launch though, it's just how SEGA has handled their mainline online Phantasy Star games ever since PSU.

PSU, PSO2, and now NGS, all of these were barebones at launch, none of these had content worth of a full game at launch and this is a mistake that SEGA keeps repeating with this franchise.

@Sakesubaki said in Where's the NGS story content?:

The problem lies in the fact that we were given so much at once in base PSO2, I think that most of us got used to that fact.

This has nothing to do with Global's increased pace.

In JP PSO2 released on 4 July 2012, and the Dark Falz Elder UQ signifying the end of the main part of Episode 1 released on 12 December 2012 (a week after the release of a UQ that was just the Falz Arms part). In the later restructure of story quests to the story quest counter - which removed a large number of cutscenes and quest variants - the Elder fight was Chapter 8 of Episode 1, and PSO2 JP got that after 5 months.

After 6 months, NGS is going to get Chapter 2 of its Episode 1.

Let's not misuse the Global condensation of the (post-reduction) PSO2 story to hide the fact that New Genesis is the slowest content release plan any online-era Phantasy Star game in any region (including the infamously behind-the-pace global release of Universe) has ever seen.

Edit: One of these days I'll learn to read a topic through before posting a reply. 😣

isnt this supposed to be a arpg genre or something? there is a lot of a but not a whole lot of rpg. unless you want to play hello kitty fashion adventure and cosplay.