The forums are pretty much useless now that there is a Discord Suggestion: get rid of it

@taetett said in The forums are pretty much useless now that there is a Discord Suggestion: get rid of it:

Feels like this place is hardly if ever productive, most people don't use it they use the official discord and it's just extra work for the staff. I recommend shutting this place down I doubt anyone would truly miss it.

Who are you and why was your actually ridiculous suggestion somehow taken seriously by SEGA?

Who needs forums when you can just shitpost on discord and set up bots who auto moderate for you.

Honestly its much easier to read a discussion in a forum than it is on discord or reddit (specially the mobile browser version. It's more annoying than it needs to be). Sad to see this going but maybe they'll add a NGS forum after disabling this one even though they didn't say anything about that in the announcement.

@OmegaNeo8603 said in The forums are pretty much useless now that there is a Discord Suggestion: get rid of it:

Honestly its much easier to read a discussion in a forum than it is on discord or reddit (specially the mobile browser version. It's more annoying than it needs to be). Sad to see this going but maybe they'll add a NGS forum after disabling this one even though they didn't say anything about that in the announcement.

Would make a nice Christmas present, but it's doubtful, given the way things have been going.

I think the problem with NGS Forums is also that they missed the launch window. PSO2 forums were filled to the brim with people when that launched over here and NGS had a massive hype behind it so surely it would attract many people to proper forums as well.

But yeah it's truly sad this ended up being their decision. People who think forums are dead are probably the same kind of people who can't be bothered to go to forums themselves because they're quite alive when you know where to look for them. The discord server is frankly a waste of time if ya'll are planning to have any meaningful discussion there. Even after adding a Thread feature that platform is mostly a chatroom and discussions only happen in the moment. What you're at work and cant participate? Too bad you missed out.

@Cathy said in The forums are pretty much useless now that there is a Discord Suggestion: get rid of it:

I think the problem with NGS Forums is also that they missed the launch window. PSO2 forums were filled to the brim with people when that launched over here and NGS had a massive hype behind it so surely it would attract many people to proper forums as well.

Doesnt matter they still have the time to set them up theres nothing stopping them from doing so. Unless @dreamweaver or any other staff members would like to comment on technical issues that would prevent them from starting the NGS forums?

I dont know any other game that has intentionaly stopped using their official forums because they were "thrilled that we met our original goal for the Forums". The announcement that dreamweaver made doesnt even state that there was any issue to begin with, this just seems the staff are going out of their way to intentionally stop people from using the forums so they dont have to manage them. Which they were hired to do no?

I mean you're right. There is nothing stopping them from doing NGS forums anyway like originally intended. but i have a sneaking suspicion the problem is that the team just can't be bothered to manage it. The PSO2 Reddit isn't even theirs so i'm not sure how they plan to "move resources to that platform". The Discord server is a discord server so replacing MMO forums for a chatroom isn't the smartest decision in my opinion.

Not interested in the discord direction, but oh well.

Thank you, SEGA. Forums are outdated and it's much easier to moderate a Discord. Since I got what I was wanting this thread is complete.

It's plain logic: if you want a chatroom where people will just shitpost and never have feedbacks listened, then use Discord. Now, if you want a few boards where people can make number and sound to be heard, then you use a forum. Only children would think that one app would be superior to a functionality that always have worked well, even more when said app does not offer the same functionality.

Even the thread system doesnt fix the issue of Discord just being a skype & Teamspeak replacement and nothing more. If everyone can make threads then goodbye channel list, it'll be bloated like crazy. If only Mods can make threads then they're basically never used. There is no happy medium in this situation and worst of all, if you want to access a archived thread you have to scroll up to whenever the thread was created in that specific channel. At that point just make a category called "archive" and open temporary channels and once moved to "archive" they're read only. The thread feature is a failure imo.

It benefits Sega in all aspects of information and influence. I understand Sega reasoning in closing of the forums and agree with it 100% and the switch to discord. Where only the information and influence Sega wants to get out is received and not manipulate with personal perspective opinion, which is pushed into oblivion with everyone else’s.

@Rain-Gnyu said in The forums are pretty much useless now that there is a Discord Suggestion: get rid of it:

It benefits Sega in all aspects of information and influence. I understand Sega reasoning in closing of the forums and agree with it 100% and the switch to discord. Where only the information and influence Sega wants to get out is received and not manipulate with personal perspective opinion, which is pushed into oblivion with everyone else’s.

Sounds like youre the biggest manipulator with your "personal perspective opinion".

I think it's clear that they don't want to maintain/moderate the forums anymore. Unwanted topics are easier to be washed away by new chats on discord.

Nothing much is lost really, not like the global team have that much to say on game development nor do they want to relay player message and concerns.

from the official global twitter: https://twitter.com/play_pso2/status/1438912516763967491

@Rain-Gnyu said in The forums are pretty much useless now that there is a Discord Suggestion: get rid of it:

Ahhh yea... coming from a person with multiple forums accounts, banned multiple times and probably holds the record for the 2nd most topics locked not counting the numerous ones that were outright nuked out of existence. Zenchi is the only one that surpassed you in this, so you can happily have your silver medal. So yes, it is probably beneficial for SEGA to not have to deal with you anymore.

and not manipulate with personal perspective opinion, which is pushed into oblivion with everyone else’s.

I love how this sentence acknowledges both that you know you've been trying to manipulate others, and that everyone disagrees with you. But of course that has to be others trying manipulation, and not just everyone disagreeing with yours.

@HarmlessSyan said in The forums are pretty much useless now that there is a Discord Suggestion: get rid of it:

I think it's clear that they don't want to maintain/moderate the forums anymore.

Agreed. There really isn't much debate to be had on that front. In some ways it's understandable with the bots hitting this place with spam topics every day and certain bad actors persistently trying to propagandise their unpopular opinions.

But in others this might be a bad long-term move. These people won't move to Discord, they'll move to Reddit or another off-site forum beyond moderators' ability to control them. And while that'll naturally reduce their reach and credibility, it'll also take them outside of the staff's ability to moderate so if they say something wrong and damaging to the game it can't simply be removed anymore.

As players who can engage in good faith discussion, it feels like we're losing a useful platform for detailed discussion (which as of now will be almost completely homeless after the forum goes read-only, Discord is not fit for purpose for that and not everyone uses the Steam discussion space) for no real gain.

It's hit me a few times since the closure announcement that some chats on the Discord have happened multiple times within a day because they're not simply a forum topic anymore, and multiple resources and items of research that have been conducted on these forums would be lost to the player base if these forums ever change from being read-only to deleted.