Please fix the sloppy translation.

Like the title says, the in game text is translated extremely lazily. All sorts of formatting errors, naming inconsistencies, and simple grammar mistakes are present throughout. Here are a few examples I've found.

All weapon descriptions have been removed and replaced with this generic text. Tons of flavor text that was in the JP version is now gone. PmfAtJh.png

There are tons of instances of formatting errors like this, where the text isn't spaced properly. It's a small issue but it looks very unprofessional. 96e63566e62ada4fd81e67bad5e64216.png

Why is the Photon Drop shop called the "swapper" when all the other shops are called "exchangers"? They're all functionally the same. 16a4a195611332c32ef68b9ff0ed8389.png

The word "Meseta" is never capitalized in client orders for some reason. Again, a small issue. But it kind of makes the translation feel rushed. a4d00fd118915460b83b8d19c31caaca.png

Some other examples that I couldn't get screenshots for include:

• The navigator introducing the Floating Continent area with her VA saying "Floating Continent" while her text bubble said "Skyscape".

• The in game tips still sometimes refer to the "pwr" stats by their JP name: "atk".

• During the initial character creation, some of the customization categories had their names in all caps while others didn't. (This issue didn't seem to be present in the salon however so this might just be due to the fact that I created my character while the game was still downloading.)

I am aware that this game is still in beta and everything is subject to change. So I'm bringing these issues to light in hopes that they'll be fixed for the final release. Stuff like grammatical errors and formatting inconsistencies, while minor, have no place being in a triple a game like this. And the removal of all that flavor text really kills a lot of the excitement I had for finally having a fully English release.

I agree with this thread.

@ignika98 , by any chance is there a lack of spacing between the number and the world "Meseta" when you pick it up or pass by it (set Meseta pick up to manual)?

@Leonkh99 Sorry about the shitty phone picture. I had to log on right now and check but yeah there's no space there. Honestly I have a feeling that most of the UI text is simply translated from Japanese with its formatting untouched.

91728797_510215543216642_2995298741847588864_n.jpg

@ignika98 said in Please fix the sloppy translation.:

most of the UI text is simply translated from Japanese with its formatting untouched.

In most cases, yes. Because there was a bug report a while back where someone gave a quest/etc. description that had half of a second line of text cut off. This was because in the JP version the quest in particular only had one line of text in Japanese.

It is a little disappointing to see some of the shortcuts taken with the translation. Especially, considering there was a fan translation that had compiled years of translated updates. A big miss for the localization, I'd say.

@ignika98 , ahh yes and wow thats actually... much worse than I expected. xD

As you guessed, some issues present are the result of the Japanese formatting being left in and I was asking to see if they finally had that bit fixed at least. This same behaviour was present in the PAX demo back in 2012 (among other things, ill see if I can get a screenshot) but that could be forgiven as that was a demo made literally two months after the initial Western announcement.

Another thing is, PSO2 has a lot of text (that by MMO-standards, shouldn't be server-side like the Item Names and Descriptions) happen server-side. On the plus side, it does mean that if they ever fix the flavour text it would just require a server maintenance. xD

Good find on item descriptions. I think the translation team needs to gather again and agree on same thing. Because they also had error on Risa as Lisa with one quest.

Yea I've been seening tons of examples of what a rushjob this translation is even without being able to play yet. Also it really should be Lisa because it's a recursive loanword from English (short for Elizabeth), Greek (Ελισαβετ) and Hebrew (אֱלִישֶׁבַע) except unlike the Greek and English versions of the word, aside from the whole l/r thing caused by Japanese having Noel no L, they didn't change it at all between Japanese and English.

@Mattwo7 said in Please fix the sloppy translation.:

Yea I've been seening tons of examples of what a rushjob this translation is even without being able to play yet. Also it really should be Lisa because it's a recursive loanword from English (short for Elizabeth), Greek (Ελισαβετ) and Hebrew (אֱלִישֶׁבַע) except unlike the Greek and English versions of the word, aside from the whole l/r thing caused by Japanese having Noel no L, they didn't change it at all between Japanese and English.

I dont honestly care about Risa being NA version, but if it's going to be Risa, then they need to keep it the same for the rest of the quests instead of making one quest reveal it as Lisa considering how Oracle is also Risa.

Hello all! Thank you so much for this feedback and the images. These issues are being compiled and will be shown to the team. 🙂

@AnamanaAU I wonder how hard it would have been to just buy the rights to the fan translation or better yet, just hire the folks responsible instead of a bunch of translators that clearly had little to no communication with each other. Some of them taking liberties when translating. Knowing SEGA they prob don't even want to publicly knowledge the fan translation because of how petty the company tends to be. Hell, I'm still at a loss as for why they didn't do the translation in house or have their NA branch handle all this.

@SirDoodlesAlot Petty? The Steam Workshop for Sega Master System and Mega Drive/Genesis collection is full of romhacks, many of which use copyrighted material Sega doesn't even own. Sega willfully turns a blind eye to fangames (unless they're promoting a new game, as there's been at least one case where they canned a Streets of Rage fangame when they released their XBL compilation, they also abused their Shining Force copyright to remove Let's Plays when they were releasing a new game) and even hired people who make them to make both mobile ports and Sonic Mania.

@Mattwo7 SEGA of America is a whole different beast when compared to SEGA of Japan. While They have been doing better lately, it would be pretty dumb to ignore all the things that have happened in the past and how they've been handling PSO2 here as well. I love SEGA, I'd even call myself a fan boy, but being a non-japanese SEGA fan is suffering because they leave so many of their games in Japan. It's clear they don't really care about their audience outside Japan unless it's Sonic. It took Sony to bring back Yakuza and now it took Microsoft to bring PSO2. They don't have much faith in the western market and it shows. I am surprised that we are getting Sakura Wars.

@SirDoodlesAlot Sega Japan is complacent, not petty. There's a huge difference there.

If Sega Japan was petty, they would have meddled with Mania and the recent movie and would have never allowed Whitehead or Hesse within ten feet of the production team of officially licensed Sonic media. They're slothful, not wrathful.