PSO2 feels like a cash grab, heres way to make it better

Maplestory says hi. Hell still one of the most played games in S. Korea.

@coldreactive said in PSO2 feels like a cash grab, heres way to make it better:

Final Fantasy XIV to Phantasy Star Online 2:

I don't remember prices being nearly as bad in FFXIV, and that was even when the NieR Automata update rolled around.

@Vicodin-Villian said in PSO2 feels like a cash grab, heres way to make it better:

@coldreactive said in PSO2 feels like a cash grab, heres way to make it better:

Final Fantasy XIV to Phantasy Star Online 2:

I don't remember prices being nearly as bad in FFXIV, and that was even when the NieR Automata update rolled around.

I meant the concept of fashion being end game. Not prices.

I'd like to add to the list of things that are basic, free functions in other games that shouldn't be "premium" (or just absurdly expensive through "in-game" currencies) is changing colors. Bungie has been missing the mark on a lot of things with Destiny but one thing they've got right is the "Shader" system, which allows us to swap colors on the fly and free/cheap, and I felt even that could have been better. (namely not having to "buy" individual, consumable shaders for every color change). A Color Change Pass is virtually impossible to get in PSO2 without either spending real money unless you want to spend several million Meseta buying AC scratch card cast-offs (or Recycle Badges) in the Personal Shop, just for a single-use consumable for a one-time color change on one piece of gear. That was my "should I even bother to get invested in this game" moment, when I got a Riad Falco outerwear piece and wanted to change the color to match my preferred look.

@Vicodin-Villian said in PSO2 feels like a cash grab, heres way to make it better:

@WhiteKnightBlsm said in PSO2 feels like a cash grab, heres way to make it better:

So ive played alot of mmo's in the past. FF14: ARR, elsword, aura kingdom, elder scrolls, warframe, trove ect.

PSO2 as the tittle says feels like a huge cash grab. This game is coming out in the west, you cant get away with some of the stuff you get away with in the east.

For example, locking skill trees behind pay walls is going to instantly turn players off.

There are regular skill tree passes issued in the JP client which reset all of your trees at once, so I've never found this to be much of an issue at all.

My second gripe is with another basic feature in literally every mmo, trading. I can not remember a single mmo that ive played where TRADING IS GATED BEHIND A PAY WALL. Again your trying to get a western audience to spend money before they hit lvl 20 like this?

Its not going to happen. People wont bother.

And yet, loads of people seem to have bought it anyway, judging by what I've seen. That said, I agree. It's one thing to have trading passively gated on a free to play client, and have the ability to either pay your way in or earn your way in. It's another entirely to first require that people subscribe (as in the Xbox gold pass) and then still require the monthly premium set to get access to the store system. I personally think, given the price of the Xbox gold pass, that users who play on the xbox should have certain premium features unlocked by default as a result of having to use the gold pass to even play the game in the first place.

edit:

I should qualify this statement a little. You can access the shop system to purchase items, but not to put items up for sale. You can also get three day shop passes through the fun scratch, but they're exceedingly rare. Selling items on the market is also the fastest way to get money, and therefore get into the endgame, phashion star online 2. Yes, the endgame really is farming meseta to access the best customization options via the market; some costume parts regularly exceed 40million meseta in price, so it will take upwards of 6 months to get enough meseta to complete that set you really want if you don't also have access to the market to sell your old and unwanted costume parts and gear.

I agree there shouldn't be a double pay wall for premium features for the xbox players, when the game drops for PC they not only will be able to play the game truly free without having to be subscribed to xbox gold like xbox players but the xbox players will have to fork over additional money that which could be put towards the premium and not be double paying to access basic features of a free game.

@zaffy2005 said in PSO2 feels like a cash grab, heres way to make it better:

I'd like to add to the list of things that are basic, free functions in other games that shouldn't be "premium" (or just absurdly expensive through "in-game" currencies) is changing colors. Bungie has been missing the mark on a lot of things with Destiny but one thing they've got right is the "Shader" system, which allows us to swap colors on the fly and free/cheap, and I felt even that could have been better. (namely not having to "buy" individual, consumable shaders for every color change). A Color Change Pass is virtually impossible to get in PSO2 without either spending real money unless you want to spend several million Meseta buying AC scratch card cast-offs (or Recycle Badges) in the Personal Shop, just for a single-use consumable for a one-time color change on one piece of gear. That was my "should I even bother to get invested in this game" moment, when I got a Riad Falco outerwear piece and wanted to change the color to match my preferred look.

I agree

@BiggethBONE Likewise I agree with your point about the "double paywall" of needing Live Gold. I mean you could even argue there's a third "pay wall" in needing an ISP but that's a given with any downloadable game and something any PSO player would need.

But it is absolutely ridiculous how quickly the costs can add up. Was looking at the inventory and storage expansions. The ones that are actually permanent, not the "rental" stuff. To max out character inventory (your "on-hand" items) and character storage (not the 200 slots accessible by all characters on your account that are on the same ship) on all three free characters would cost about $441, plus tax. At it's cheapest (buying "bulk" by getting the 90-day pass instead of the 30 or 60) the "Premium Set" costs 1100AC a month, or $11 (again, plus tax, and when you're paying 8% tax like I do, that adds up quick). So that's $132 a year plus the $70 a year for Gold plus the $147 per character inventory boost, and that's before you start adding extra characters (at $5 a piece) the $4-5 a month per slot "expanded storage" subscriptions(if you need all four "rental" boxes that's another $192 a year), $3 for additional Mags (or if you completely screwed up your first one like I did because the game doesn't explain jack squat about how these things work you can spend $5 for a full reset but at that point it's cheaper to just buy a second one and throw the first away), same again for Auxiliaries ($3 for extras, $5 to reset one) and that's not taking into account any boosts, consumables, or SG you might wan to have on top of that. The "free" game can turn extremely expensive if we want even the simplest conveniences (like not having to do a complete inventory dump after every single mission/quest because we only have 50 slots and half of that is taken up by our weapons, armor, and med items).

Just the premium set, the 4 extended storage slot rentals, and Live Gold itself comes up to $394 a year, plus tax. Which for me in NY with that 8% tax would be $425.52 per year. For a free game. And just the "basic" Gold subscription. I don't know how much more it cost for the Game Pass edition or the other extras.

Does seem like there should at least be some kind of discount or even a one-time "care package" for Xbox players, if not a complete overhaul of the way things are priced. I would rag on Bungie constantly for how much Destiny "content" (and let's be real, it could hardly be called that) cost over the years. Over roughly 5 years the total right now is about $435 for two base games and about a dozen "expansions/seasons" of lackluster content and incoherent, incomplete storylines. If it's going to cost more than that just to get some inventory space I may have to cut Bungie a little slack. Sure, absolutely nothing in PSO2 so far is anything we HAVE to buy, whereas in Destiny if you didn't buy the latest DLC you had nothing to do so it was keep shoveling money into the pit or find a new game to play...which I did and that's why I'm here. I don't want to sink tons of money into another "free" game on top of having to maintain a Gold subscription just to have access to that game. I could let my subscription run out and go back to playing Skyrim and it wouldn't cost me a dime.

@zaffy2005 though it may have been an inconvenience, the entire time I played the JP version I never upgraded any character slots or storage. It just meant I had to learn what had value and what did not sooner, as hoarding things for the sake of hoarding would have been convenience rather than necessity.

The founders pack offers more than enough player inventory and storage to manage your assets and hold on to things that you expect to grow in value.

@John-Paul-RAGE I think the biggest part for me was not utilizing the Character Storage, especially early on because I thought it was a "premium" feature I had to pay for when I first started playing. Now that I've got all three "starter" characters made I've been dividing the stockpile a bit more so I don't have to rely as much on shared storage.

@zaffy2005 I wasn't even aware you only get 3 characters free.If not for skill tree reset that we got for free I would have been screwed without paying more money and I feel you on that mag situation I also screwed mine up because I didn't know what was going on or what I needed for my class. the other guy mentioned its not a problem with the founders addition thats something im not getting for a while, its 60 additional dollars. and premium is annoying because even at the cost of 1100 ac you still are forced to pay bare minimum 20$ because theres no in between ac purchase the minimum amount you can get is 1000 for $9.99 plus tax. so you're still forced to buy a larger package or 2 1000 packages. you make a lot of great points and all of that is hella expensive especially for living in NY. I agree with you

@BiggethBONE So far aside from storage boosts (especially inventory as that's a big pain in the arse having to curate in between every single mission) the main "goal" is a Color Change Pass, and as many as I can get my hands on. This one drives me up the wall. For as simple and limited a function as it has (just changing the color of ONE single cosmetic item) it is insanely expensive to get without spending real cash for a Mission Gold Pass and grinding up to 20. And that's it. You get one per pass. Otherwise you need to trade 14 AC Scratch Ticket items (directly or by converting them into Recycle Badges which go for about 100,00 Meseta a piece, so about 1.4 million minimum) or one of the Rappy Suits (at 18.5 million Meseta). Just to change the color of a single item. Once. That's a heck of a high price to pay for a single-use aesthetic consumable.

I do think they should rework some of the AC ticket prices in the Microsoft Store. Spending $100 only gets you $3 of free points which is a bit insulting.

Pricing needs an overhaul, some restrictions behind premium should be removed, gathering should be given more reserves (I understand it's meant to deter botters, but the limits are small enough to deter practical participation as well). Imo pricing for the largest pack should be capped around $20.

Imo premium shouldn't exist, and neither should there be a split between AC and Star Gems, tbh, but they're there and won't go away. There's plenty in the game that'd motivate people to pay into it, but the pricing scares away many of those impulses. When I play League, for example. I could spend $100 on RP and buy a stupid amount of skins via mystery skins, heavy discounts, or what have you. In PSO2 you can spend $100 and get... 8 rare drop boosters? Sure, 400% but that's not realistic monetary value to most of us.

I'd rather have those extraneous boosts be locked behind high tier participation in events rather than a high value cash lock. Leave the gamebreaking consumables behind performance, player market, and limited events. As encouragement to play the game rather than incentive to continue. Honestly, most of the things available for purchase in the AC or SG shop are just jokes. One-use pickaxes and fishing poles for absurd amounts relative to the $ paid into it?

I would like to spend money on the game, but as it stands I won't be willing to pay in more than I have, unless the current pricing and monetization structure is given some sincere thought in an overhaul.