So um about the beginning grind for NGS and Power Level Requirements...

I listened to this guy's review of the game, since his footage of the game is more for background noise. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQUTRriL548

And I was reminded how annoying it kinda was that you needed to grind to Lv.15 and BP 1184 and that was enough to make this new player stop trying the game anymore. It also doesn't help that I don't think the game tells you that you get more exp. from battling enemies that are closer to your level rather than higher level enemies. Not to mention, the game punishes you for trying to fight enemies that 6 levels ahead of you instead of 5 by making you do less damage to them and neutering your potential drops from them.

Simply put, because the game forces you to grind to even do the last battle of the region rather than naturally letting you reach there with the story quests, I can imagine alot of players quitting before they even reach the current endgame or even future endgame content if this is left as where it is. This get especially jarring if you remember about what happened in the story where there was this big emergency to go to Resol Forest to save Dozer and it was not a good idea that you want to go there since you're not strong enough to enter the forest yet... only for the game to immediately keep you from entering and telling you to go grind with no since of clear direction of how you should go about it. Even stranger is that the amount of tasks you ended up getting after beating Resol Forest for the first time probably should've been there from the beginning to help you level up faster and earlier rather than later for other endgame content... which really isn't much to begin with.

While I'm okay with holding off my own demands for more story content, as in they don't always need to have it voiced, unless they involved the main characters that is, until after the next Region is released. I think we definitely need better ways to get new players to grind up for the required BP, as well as tell them they don't need to meet the requirements to do the Cocoon and Tower challenges to get the skill points needed to increase the BP. They need to find a way to get over this hurdle, otherwise we'll have alot of people who tried to be patient with the game only to quickly run out when they reach the end.

Yeah the grind is pretty annoying and boring at the moment. No repeatable quests or Client orders, regular bosses take forever, and it might just be me but I feel like the open world kinda broke the flow. Even between UQs there was lots to do. You could level classes with PSE Burst chains, grind in ultimates, do dailies which still gave pretty decent exp up to a point, do Gold/Silver tokyo, etc.

You realize that players like you have helped destroy this game, right? You're complaining about a grind? WHY?! Of every single game EVER RELEASED, this is the easiest and fastest to hit max level on. WITH ALL CLASSES. I would say "Go try Final Fantasy XIV", but if you consider THIS a grind, you wouldn't last five minutes in ANY other RPG, MMO or otherwise. You can easily hit the requirements to clear all the main content in two or three days... ONE DAY IF YOU HAVE TOP-TIER PSO2 GEAR (Lightweave/Ophistia + Guardian God Units). It is easy to get every class maxed in one week if you play often, two if you clay casually. This is the easiest and fastest game ever made in the genre (possibly any genre). FF14's TUTORIAL is bigger than the ENTIRETY of NGS! What is Sega's excuse? Better yet, what is YOUR excuse? You people who want everything fast-paced and you want it all "NAO!!!!!!!!!" are destroying quality in gaming.

There are much worse things in NGS. How about the fact it takes longer to get from character select to in-game than it takes even SWTOR to get from desktop to in-game? All the lag and bugs that happen at least a dozen times per three hour game session.... How about the crap targeting where hitting blue is hard EVEN IF YOU DIRECTLY HIT THE WEAK SPOT? And that is just the start of the issues! There are a million things wrong with this game, but what you're complaining about is not one of them. If this game was any easier, I'd quit on the spot. As it is, they have until the region update to fix ALL the problems or I'm done with Sega altogether.

I was so busy with the OP I missed what you said that literally made no sense. "Regular bosses take forever"? WHAT?! Pettas Vera drops in SIX MINUTES. If you mean Dreads, those aren't bosses, they're this game's version of "Elite" or "NM" mobs.

How long it takes to get to a level isn't what makes something a grind. Grinding is a feedback created by repetitive game play that loses a player that cannot just be ignored. There should never be any grind in a game.

PSO2/NGS is a grind because it badly designed in several areas. I mentioned this in another thread... BP and Level restrictions are asinine and don't work right. BP is a measure of ability that character is supposed to have, as is level... These 2 measures are not in sync and further they put in another system that counters the idea of Battle Power where your xp/damage output/damage resistance are all altered so that even though I have say 1500BP at lvl 15 and a lvl 20 has 1000 I do less damage, even though the restrictions and and the inherent understandings of those words indicate that I should be more powerful than the lvl 20 character. Its irritating and it's not even well balanced when you gain access...

The intent of all that is to create an open world that all players can feel like they can fight in but be warded away from, but that's not what happens. It's an incredibly bad and frustrating system that looks very much like there is a power struggle behind the scenes of two leads that want different things in the game... but if this was fixed it would fix grinding a little

Another issue is that none of the equipment is special or unique... and those that even approach it are so gimped by an obvious glass cannon build in a game where everyone if a glass cannon already. PSO/PSU alleviates the grinding feel by having collecting at its core. No one complained about 200 level of doing the same 4 levels in PSO... (technically 100). We all just enjoyed it because working together and searching for the rares and heck, competing to run and get those rares, and trading were all so addicting and took away the feel of doing the same thing over and over again. NGS has literally taken out every aspect that made PSO good.

Let's talk about another issue... there's no progress. There is, but there isn't. Any competent player can easily conquer the Trainia (that's what they're called) within 2 days. You've now unlocked all progress you're ever going to make in terms of abilities... Gear? Those are maxed out pretty easily too for everything other than augments. You can get higher BP/ATK weapons but they make little difference because of they've made it so stats are basically a flat line.

Story? First problem is there basically isn't any. There's no world to explore. There is, but we don't get any of it. Even the PSO had more content than this does when launched in terms of story and PSO2 did as well... ON JP SERVERS. 1 contact has more contact than an entire "city" of people does on PSO2 vs NGS. But then... the story is gated too behind the horrible lvl/BP thing. This would be ok, if it were handled better and gave a few more missions. The game literally relies on you going off and killing stuff in one of 2 spots for hours on end and if you don't do that you make very slow progress. If you're at all efficient with tasks and skilled you will be forced to grind. So in the end, what happens is, that if you're skilled you get slapped in the face rather than rewarded because you have to go do mindless repetitions with no real reward. That's not a good design.

On top of all this, the game relies heaving on BS MOB and Skill design. Every skill under performs what it should do which makes every enemy frustrating, whether it be timing, aggro, buffing, healing, etc. There is a skill level up system that is not being used in the game. The question is why. That should already be in the game and be balanced against. Every boss' pattern is on a beat of lets say 7 and you're super damaging attack is on a beat of 8 to make you think you're the one messing up or if you do a little bit better you can get it, but no, perfectly executed every skill ends up like this... and you don't even get to have the experience of finding and mastering skills any more v.v why would you take this out of the game? or leave it out of the initial release?

What I'm saying is that there are plethora of bad choices in design that is causing the feeling of grinding in a game that was so excellently designed initially with things that alleviated that feeling that the core "grind" which would have been worse than any grind ever created since or before that grind that was hidden is now being felt because there is nothing there to stop the grind, to lubricate as it was. It's all just "go fight mobs... to fight mobs... to fight mobs... to fight mobs" There's no "woah cool" moment that anything creates, no tension, no looks at this cool thing i found, because they took it all out, are holding it all back, or didn't care to make it for this game...

But hey, Sega is Sega, and they always do things that could be great, but someone or something messes it up. Right now... I love the engine. 9/10 getting to 10/10. Art Team 7/10... everything else pretty much ehhh well 2 or 3/10. I've seen worse, but those are pretty low hurdles to surpass.

Also no hate on the animators and voice actors, not talking about them...

The grind isn't bad for what you're getting. If the lvl cap was 50 you'd probably hit like 25-30 in a day. The reason it feels "hard" to reach lvl 15 is because that's 75% of the current lvl cap.

@Durakken said in So um about the beginning grind for NGS and Power Level Requirements...:

There should never be any grind in a game.

How to say this is your first video game without saying this is your first video game

@The-Merfox said in So um about the beginning grind for NGS and Power Level Requirements...:

@Durakken said in So um about the beginning grind for NGS and Power Level Requirements...:

How to say this is your first video game without saying this is your first video game

It's ok if you can't read. I explained exactly what I meant and yet you failed to understand.

@The-Merfox said in So um about the beginning grind for NGS and Power Level Requirements...:

It's ok if you can't read. I explained exactly what I meant and yet you failed to understand.

Some people think that playing games is supposed to be comparable to a job, not just in time investment, but also on how tedious it is. As in, you're not supposed to enjoy the time you spent doing it, you're supposed to single mindedly focus on the reward at the end of it to have the capacity to suffer through it. Yeah, it's as dumb as it sounds.

@Yggranya Any amount of not-already-being-maxed-out entails a needless grind to some people. It could be getting to a max level of 5, and it could take only 1hr to do it, and it would still be too much. I hate the leveling process myself in most games but I accept it as part of a growing process in online rpgs.

@AngryRhombus563 Sure, if the gameplay is boring to you it might be a problem.