Ban scams on Discord

There is lately a ton of talk about stuff like this game's adding a closing section to the ToS, bans going on with people and doomsayers ingame shouting to others about the game closing.

I might not be the best one to warn you about this, but keep a minimum of sanity because:

The leader in the Alliance I am in tried to be scammed by giving his Steam details on your typical run of the mill private message. This one masked itself as being some kind of SEGA representative telling them his account was on the process of being banned and that he had to contact them at... well, of course it was a scam link. Of course, he didn't bite the bait.

As such, I am communicating this to all of you as it might be a new trend to try to get players. Please, be safe all and if you got any doubts, contact the actual Discord mods and SEGA representatives there in the Official Discord.

@Aumires said in Ban scams on Discord:

There is lately a ton of talk about stuff like this game's adding a closing section to the ToS, bans going on with people and doomsayers ingame shouting to others about the game closing.

I might not be the best one to warn you about this, but keep a minimum of sanity because:

The leader in the Alliance I am in tried to be scammed by giving his Steam details on your typical run of the mill private message. This one masked itself as being some kind of SEGA representative telling them his account was on the process of being banned and that he had to contact them at... well, of course it was a scam link. Of course, he didn't bite the bait.

As such, I am communicating this to all of you as it might be a new trend to try to get players. Please, be safe all and if you got any doubts, contact the actual Discord mods and SEGA representatives there in the Official Discord.

This is sounding worse and worse.

First, people claiming to be banned and complaining about support doing nothing about it/ignoring the questions/having a chitchat with a bots, with the conspiracy theory that bots are now mass reporting people and making them banned without any real background. Now, surfing this banwave, scammers trying to steal account data telling random people they're about to be banned.

This may actually be a thing yo.

well you can bet there will be people who will lose their accounts because of this, there's always those innocent people in the internet that are the main targets of these scams so be ready to when it happens.

My oh my!, Almost as bad as random callers from some obscure phone number claiming to be from the Official " Microsoft Refund Department". xD

Yeah.

Told you so, but you wouldn't listen because BOOHOO BOOGEYMAN ZENCHI.

Sorry Aumires, because I agreed with you and you said something similar to me, everyone from now on will say you're one of my alt accounts or some shit like that lmao.

Yikes. I've been gone for about a month and it feels like I have missed a bit, and yet also, not much. What in the world is going on.

o.o

But it isn't really an official discord is it? Sega doesn't control it and there's always going to be some manner of risk someone impersonating support staff. 🤔

@Pok said in Ban scams on Discord:

But it isn't really an official discord is it? Sega doesn't control it and there's always going to be some manner of risk someone impersonating support staff. 🤔

If you are in the official Discord, check the people that have the roles of Moderator or SEGA. Those are the ones to contact with if you get any sign of suspicious claims sent towards you. And they certainly work for them as is official indeed.

@Pok said in Ban scams on Discord:

This forum, has a direct link, posted by an official GM to the aforementioned Discord Server. SEGA mod Dreamweaver is the (seemingly) most officially active mod there. They have some sub, volunteers as assistant moderators as well, but they are players with limited authority. This may be what's confusing you about the legitimacy of said Discord server. Said server is also partnered with Discord in an official capacity.

@El-Zenchi Maybe you're drawing attention to this with such aplomb simply to make people scared so it's easier to scam them. Something to ponder.

GMs are OP of all nerds, they don't need your account info. They can just trace IP login data.

I thought we were in the age where there doesn't have to be a "Don't give out account information, even to those who claim to be a GM."

@MasterDarkwingz said in Ban scams on Discord:

GMs are OP of all nerds, they don't need your account info. They can just trace IP login data.

I thought we were in the age where there doesn't have to be a "Don't give out account information, even to those who claim to be a GM."

You clearly haven't been on Xbox Live before, or at least within the last five years. That scam still gets to people. Young teens, and teens in general aren't the brightest bulbs in the bunch, and fall for that all the time. Even some adults still fall for it. Someone claims to work for Microsoft, and the rubes there have a 50/50 shot of falling for it. Well unless you have a friend like me tell them it's bullshit, and to just block them.

@Yggranya said in Ban scams on Discord:

@El-Zenchi Maybe you're drawing attention to this with such aplomb simply to make people scared so it's easier to scam them. Something to ponder.

Now I'm a scammer? What the fuck. Okay I don't usually do this but I had enough of your crazy plots, blocked.

@Anarchy-Marine said in Ban scams on Discord:

@MasterDarkwingz said in Ban scams on Discord:

You clearly haven't been on Xbox Live before, or at least within the last five years. That scam still gets to people. Young teens, and teens in general aren't the brightest bulbs in the bunch, and fall for that all the time. Even some adults still fall for it. Someone claims to work for Microsoft, and the rubes there have a 50/50 shot of falling for it. Well unless you have a friend like me tell them it's bullshit, and to just block them.

I've actually had Nintendo consoles, so I didn't know that Microsoft would be that lazy as to not pre-screen any text combinations to auto flag an account for impersonation.

@El-Zenchi I'd do the same, but then again your BS might cause some people to require a reality check.