Should Sega merge the ships on Global server?

New World just came out, probably a bunch of people waiting in that over 9000 login queue.

Heard their servers have a capacity of 2000 players and have a total of 233 servers globally. They said about 700,000 people trying to log in that 466,000 spots.

For those that dislike the ship system, server capacity has always been an issue for MMOs. Earlier this year, the mass influx of players on FFXIV overloaded certain data centers and SE/Yoshida apologized for unable to meet the demand. Most MMOs I played all have separate servers to not run into issues. I heard people bring up BDO, I haven't played it but from what I heard, it is 1 server per region - you are allowed to switch channels but not actual servers (like transfer from NA to EU).

RuneScape has a server cap of 2000 online per server and lets you transfer server in about 30 seconds for free at any time.

Dofus has a server cap of 5000 and lets you transfer using ingame currency every Tuesday. They have also done server merges and worked out alternatives for identical guild, alliance and character names.

WoW has a server cap of 12000 (Classic) / 10 000 (Shadowlands) and lets you transfer using ingame currency every Tuesday. They have also worked out alternatives for identical guild and character names.

All of these MMORPGs are more populated than PSO2 is, yet PSO2 requires real money to transfer and has 4 ships (with 2 games and 50+ blocks) for just ~2500 concurrent active players.

@Zephinism Runescape, sure - though I never played it. Never heard of Dofus. Last I heard server transfer on WoW still cost $25? Do you buy a pass that someone else bought? Someone still paying for it at some point?

@HarmlessSyan said in Should Sega merge the ships on Global server?:

New World just came out, probably a bunch of people waiting in that over 9000 login queue.

Heard their servers have a capacity of 2000 players and have a total of 233 servers globally. They said about 700,000 people trying to log in that 466,000 spots.

For those that dislike the ship system, server capacity has always been an issue for MMOs. Earlier this year, the mass influx of players on FFXIV overloaded certain data centers and SE/Yoshida apologized for unable to meet the demand. Most MMOs I played all have separate servers to not run into issues. I heard people bring up BDO, I haven't played it but from what I heard, it is 1 server per region - you are allowed to switch channels but not actual servers (like transfer from NA to EU).

It's not that I dislike ths ship system, it's how they have implemented it that's the problem. I really don't understand why we can't have a system where we can transfer to any server whenever we feel like it.

Why are MMO's so backwards with this kind of thing? What is the point in locking people to one server? It's dumb.

A world visit system like in FFXIV would certainly be nice. Then again it would also be nice if there was no regionlocking, like in FFXIV, but considering version differences in base PSO2 i doubt itll happen.

@HermitST said in Should Sega merge the ships on Global server?:

I really don't understand why we can't have a system where we can transfer to any server whenever we feel like it.

The trouble now is PSO2 has ship-based account data. They need an ideally lengthy reworking of account structures to delink all of that from ships before they can (or rather should) do anything like that.

For instance if they just let you block transfer across ships with your inventory and character storage right now, sure it might let you visit and play on another ship and immediately unify the economies of the player shops but...

• ...you wouldn't be in your group or alliance while you were away, and if you'd previously been in an alliance on the ship you were visiting you'd find yourself in that again which might renew old drama if that was part of a reason you'd transferred away.
  • ...your PSO2 personal quarters would either be empty or have whatever you have on there if you have (or had) another character on the ship you were visiting.
  • ...players with shop access would suddenly be able to sell 120 items at once (and 300 on JP) which is probably more throughput than they'd intend to allow.

@Miraglyth or just limit Features while visiting a different ship so none of the stuff you mentioned happen? FFXIV already has a world visit feature and it doesnt screw your guild over, doesnt screw with your player housing, doesnt allow you to sell stuff while visiting, only buy. The main point of a visit system like that is to be able to go on quests with friends on a different server. In PSO2 people would be happy enough if a visit system just allowed them to take screenshots with friends.

Sega already shown they can do some of that when they introduced shared ships back in EP3.

@Cathy said in Should Sega merge the ships on Global server?:

or just limit Features while visiting a different ship

Ah the magic "just". So let's go with the absolute minimum implementation where anything that could cause cross-ship complexity is limited. Congratulations, you've hopped to visit a different ship and your inventory is now 0/100 (or 1/100 if you have an equipped outfit/outerwear) because that got limited. Wanna party with your friends on another ship? Better hope they have a decently-prepared weapon and set of armor for you to borrow, 'cause you can't use your own.

@Miraglyth again, you describe a issue that just doesn't exist with the FFXIV world visit system and if it's just for taking screenshots its better than nothing.

LMAO I see absolutely no issues here. I 100% agree, lets start chopping blocks down to 20 - 15 per ship, that's enough I'm sure; we can barely fill 2 as it is anyways.

I see the technical issues involved with ships, so that probably wouldn't happen; but imagine what would happen if we forced block 3 into ship 1, and 4 into 2... LMAO, it would be beautiful.

I'm sure the already low numbers wont drop, and I'm sure no one will be banned for "toxicity" for their player interactions when being forced into mingling with these perceived outgroups.

again, you describe a issue that just doesn't exist with the FFXIV world visit system

Because it does exist in PSO2 and last I checked that's the game we're talking about.

@Miraglyth said in Should Sega merge the ships on Global server?:

again, you describe a issue that just doesn't exist with the FFXIV world visit system

Because it does exist in PSO2 and last I checked that's the game we're talking about.

And they are saying just have the same setup that they have with FFXIV, but in PSO2. It's not that hard a concept to understand. Just implement the type of feature that Cathy is proposing, in the exact same way. And she's not the only one to have the same, or a similar idea. And you could have that setup, if the developer eliminates the problem you keep bringing up, by doing so.

@Anarchy-Marine said in Should Sega merge the ships on Global server?:

It's not that hard a concept to understand. Just implement the type of feature that Cathy is proposing, in the exact same way.

Then why is it so hard to answer the question of how to address PSO2-specific complexities?

"Just do what another game did" doesn't work as a response if that other game doesn't do something PSO2 does and doesn't provide a solution for a PSO2-specific problem.

This topic is about merging the ships, that classic "It'll be easy" thought many players have without thinking about the shops, quarters, storage and alliance complexities. They don't want a pseudo Universal Ship that lets you visit other ships without any of your items to take screenshots. They want the ability to do everything, alliances, UQ participation and all. Give them a screenshot-only solution and I guarantee you it'll be a lightning rod to spark complaints of "This isn't good enough!" "We want to play the game!" and so on.

At this point, I think it wouldn't be such a bad idea. If the winter update won't resolve the weak player base issue, there will be more issues in the future. Many tend to leave a game that feels half dead, or where the economy is suffering from fewer players, like on ship 4,where everything is way more expensive. Sega could hope for players to give in and buy a transfer, but that will never happen. Merging issues aside, they will have to handle it somehow, otherwise it might bleed more players in the long run.

Well if the winter update is just a big empty map with nothing to do on it, except go on the news combats zones and runing around till you're bored to get some augments (like the one we have right now) the players will not stay for long or totally not another 6 month doing that, so even if they make 10K players come back (and i really doubt about that) how many will stay after 2 or 3 month of no content, cause if i check the roadmap no content till... spring 2022 and it will just be the summoner and later a new class who use the gunblade, no new maps nothing...