Which is better, potency or weapon potency? And why?

I am getting a little confused with the mixtures and combination of maximizing raw damage out , critical damage out and critical frequency. And how potency in combination with weapon potency and and critical frequency. How do I measure it all to get the perfect balance? I know everything effects everything but I am trying to establish a base line. Do you obtain this base line through the best BP for your main class. My main class is Hunter and sub is Fighter. I use all Hunter weapons even in Multi-weapon combination. What is the formula?

potency : think of this as baseline For every 1% potency, you will see a 1% damage increase

crit : (crit chance gain) * (crit damage percent) If crits grant a bonus 50% damage, then you can think of this as .5:1

crit damage : (crit chance percent) * (crit damage gain) If your crit chance is at 20%, then you can think of this as .2:1

It's why in most every game crit damage is completely ignored until higher % crit chance is obtained. If I recall, base crit chance is 5%, so by default you're only seeing a .05:1 gain outside of specific PAs which have higher base crit chance (this is ignoring any outside buffs/debuffs obviously which you should take into account). It's all a balancing act, but this early on your answer is stack potency. Later this may very well change, but for now, it's simple. If you want to get into the finer points figure out what % of your rotation goes into what PAs if they have any bonus to crit and recalculate accordingly. But since most classes/PAs do not have such bonuses what I listed can be used in most cases.

@Nasar said in Which is better, potency or weapon potency? And why?:

potency : think of this as baseline For every 1% potency, you will see a 1% damage increase

crit : (crit chance gain) * (crit damage percent) If crits grant a bonus 50% damage, then you can think of this as .5:1

crit damage : (crit chance percent) * (crit damage gain) If your crit chance is at 20%, then you can think of this as .2:1

It's why in most every game crit damage is completely ignored until higher % crit chance is obtained. If I recall, base crit chance is 5%, so by default you're only seeing a .05:1 gain outside of specific PAs which have higher base crit chance (this is ignoring any outside buffs/debuffs obviously which you should take into account). It's all a balancing act, but this early on your answer is stack potency. Later this may very well change, but for now, it's simple. If you want to get into the finer points figure out what % of your rotation goes into what PAs if they have any bonus to crit and recalculate accordingly. But since most classes/PAs do not have such bonuses what I listed can be used in most cases.

So then BP will signify if you are improving that aspect......right?

@Rain-Gnyu said in Which is better, potency or weapon potency? And why?:

Yes and no, increasing any of your stats increases BP, so a higher BP doesn’t necessarily mean higher damage or potency. BP is really just a metric used to make sure you’ve leveled and upgraded you gear enough, regardless of player skill level to be able to clear that mission. It’s why I say people put to much emphasis on BP, once you get past the initial leveling phase and are upgrading your gear you should have more than enough BP to get into any run. Players would then be better focusing on affixes that are going to benefit their class, play style or that specific run most, rather than just chasing whatever gives the highest BP

Reminder that BP is useless beyond 1184 and you can exceed that by like 300 by gearing up, so you really don't need to think about raising it and I really doubt most people do.

I asked that specific questions because I noticed a difference between potency and weapon potency and how it effects the BP. I also noticed a significant raw damage out when comparing the two. Just trying to get a better understanding and thank you guys for the response/answers. Just trying to be the best I can be, I think I am obsessed with it.

@TEN-SQUARE-3 said in Which is better, potency or weapon potency? And why?:

Yes and no, increasing any of your stats increases BP, so a higher BP doesn’t necessarily mean higher damage or potency. BP is really just a metric used to make sure you’ve leveled and upgraded you gear enough, regardless of player skill level to be able to clear that mission. It’s why I say people put to much emphasis on BP, once you get past the initial leveling phase and are upgrading your gear you should have more than enough BP to get into any run. Players would then be better focusing on affixes that are going to benefit their class, play style or that specific run most, rather than just chasing whatever gives the highest BP

You don’t happen to have a YouTube video about BP?

@TEN-SQUARE-3 said in Which is better, potency or weapon potency? And why?:

You don’t happen to have a YouTube video about BP?

No sorry