Misleading Information About Send to Area Symbol Arts Functionality being Resumed

In the original wording of the message about send to area for symbol arts being disabled this was the message the article here said: symbolartoriginal message.png

Now with the recent update to the game this is now what it says in the patch notes here: symbolartnewmessage.png

I get that there were issues with symbol arts being sent during streams, but the solution of setting symbol arts to default to off and adding an option to specify the display area would have worked perfectly. What happened? Didn't think it would be important to tell us you gave up on implementing this change, and that you were planning on making send to area chat for symbol arts permanently disabled?

Someone please tell me this is just a translation error, and SEGA didn't just give up and permanently disable send symbol arts to area, but it's probably correct... and this is another thing they neglected to mention about this update beforehand.

This is sad. Does this mean we're never going to get it available for area chat again just because of some toxic morons who ruined the sponsored streams? Pls Sega say it ain't so. Just add the options and let people choose.

Japan still has their stuff unaltered I think.

I can understand that some people will take issue with symbol arts being enabled or disabled in area - but there is not really any issue about misinformation or lack of communication here. SEGA said they planned to re-enable it when the defualt was changed. But now that they've changed the defualt, they didn't re-enable it, and they told us that they did not.

This is, unfortunately, the nature of announcing things that you are uncertain about far before you do them. Restrictions on symbol arts are also not on the level of changes such as the roadmap or new content, so it isn't surprising that there was no information or updates about it except for patch notes.

@LusterMain said in Misleading Information About Send to Area Symbol Arts Functionality being Resumed:

I can understand that some people will take issue with symbol arts being enabled or disabled in area - but there is not really any issue about misinformation or lack of communication here.

In what way is it not misinformation or lack of communication? Did they tell us they were planning to stop working on implementing these changes and permanently disable the symbol arts to area chat before now? No, they didn't.

They did tell us. Right now. As a non-urgent update or notice, there was no particular expectation that we get active updates on something that was (as it at least turns out to be) never certain to start with - it's possible that the decision to not revert it was made right before the update was finished.

SEGA did not lie to us and it is somewhat unreasonable IMO to expect active updates on the status of what they are planning to do with a relatively minor feature. It does not make sense to me that you can take both of the stances "why doesn't sega keep us updated on things like this?" and "why did they not do what they said they were planning on doing?" when (at least from my perspective) it is unreasonable to expect both.

It was a straight up lie. They specifically said it was temporary and if they are going to keep it blocked they should lower the cost of premium since extra SA slots are one of the perks and they are severely limiting that perk.

And, just now, they effectively announced that it is no longer temporary. For SEGA to have lied they would have had to have made the initial announcement with the full intention of never unblocking area SAs and I highly doubt they did so. SEGA was as much in the dark as us as to how it would have ended up given how long ago the announcement happened.

Again: we have no idea when they decided to do this. It is very possible that the decision was made right before the update was finished and that your requests for more communication before now would have been literally impossible.

@Zenny This one is before streaming, actually. more related to the RMT's use of symbol art.

@LusterMain said in Misleading Information About Send to Area Symbol Arts Functionality being Resumed:

They did tell us. Right now. As a non-urgent update or notice, there was no particular expectation that we get active updates on something that was (as it at least turns out to be) never certain to start with - it's possible that the decision to not revert it was made right before the update was finished.

Telling us at the last minute doesn't count as informing us about it.

SEGA broke their promise it is as simple as that.

RMT aside, they need a way deeper system for symbol arts so the more sensitive people in an area can avoid being offended, anyway. Simply saying "you can turn it off" isn't going to cut it in a world of karens fishing for things to complain about :3

@Riesz

Telling us at the last minute doesn't count as informing us about it.

It does, especially considering the lack of urgency on the matter. Also consider that in the context of the entire update we got - new cosmetics, items, a new class, a mountain of bugfixes, etc - symbol arts are the lowest priority, and it is not unreasonable that they could only have informed us last minute because the change happened last minute itself.

I am not going to continue to argue on something that is an issue of perspective, opinion, and interpretation. It's pointless.

@LusterMain No it... DOES NOT

@AngryRhombus563 said in Misleading Information About Send to Area Symbol Arts Functionality being Resumed:

RMT aside, they need a way deeper system for symbol arts so the more sensible people can avoid being offended, anyway. Simply saying "you can turn it off" isn't going to cut it in a world of karens fishing for things to complain about :3

I think it's more than enough. They need to toughen up. We're all adults here... at least most of us here.

All they need is options for each specific chat tab. Allow people to tick a box if they want it visible in area, party, alliance etc. They can untick it if they don't want to see it. They should have had this sort of thing done before they decided to sponsor streamers.

They also need BDO's word filter. It pretty much solved gold seller spam in global chat. You never see it provided you have the necessary words filtered. It's so good, I never need to block anyone in that game. Honestly just copy/paste it at this point.

@Zenny Its not really about "toughening up" tho. I mention karens because they complain just to complain, whether or not they are actually offended by what they are complaining about. Its like when we had B69 and anyone with a brain knew what goes on in B69, people that know they dont like the content that they know will be present go there to be subjected to said content and complain about it with images. Nothing but creating a system that ensures its THEIR own fault they are being subjected to it will suffice in 2021, and I dont think defaulting it off will cut it.

Besides, that also won't stop RMT from spamming to area, which is what this is REALLY about. And quite frankly SA spam is worse than censored text spam because you have to go clear it out of your SA history after. They need to fix that first.