PSA: Spammers are sending messages from outside town

Seems like the RMT spammers have found a way to locate their characters outside Central City while still being counted as being in the sector. This allows them to send RMT spam messages that everyone in Central City is forced to see with no way to block or report them as they are too far away for the Nearby Characters menu to show them.

bbae9f12-915d-42d5-9f83-f4437f7d4d13-image.png c2287a13-5f0d-4f7d-8b50-c77881e184ea-image.png

Multiple screenshots to show the spammers aren't simply somewhere high up or low in a corner somewhere; see the arrows on the speech bubbles pointing in the speaker's direction.

e0f68faf-5422-44bf-810c-3bc3e138217e-image.png

And just to be clear these are not from the control room either; that is underground but it is directly below the tower. The control room was empty and while there the spam still came from the same direction, way out to the west/south-west of town.

I don't know if there's any way we can report spammers that do this. They're too far away for their characters to show so we can't click them, and they're out of range of Nearby Characters. If NGS has a feature like ARKS Search, I'd be wary of using it since these spammers might start using the names of real players to both hide and cause false reports. Any potential reports using such a method might also provide less immediately-bannable detail than clicking a nearby character which presumably includes the chat log more accessibly.

This really highlights that the Nearby Characters list should simply include all characters in a sector rather than being limited to an arbitrary range that's severely smaller than the infinite-within-a-sector chat range. Alternatively we should be able to report chat messages directly from the Chat Log window, rather than needing to physically find their sender or get close enough to be able to use Nearby Characters.

On the bright side, if spammers are doing this now, it suggests all our efforts to report them in Central City are effective. At least effective enough that they're willing to try boundary-breaking with their disposable spam accounts to test Sega's automated detection and see if it's slower than bans that come from player reports.

Thanks for this, I was wondering where they were coming from because I didn't see anybody in the city at all!

Wonder if that has any relation to also this being a thing now https://www.reddit.com/r/PSO2NGS/comments/ov5qyg/apparently_there_are_now_cheaters_who_can/ as it seems like teleportation was figured out, or I suppose a speedhack that goes fast enough that it skips loading zones.

Now the game is being literally cheated upon.

We didn't have enough with the people that made the abuse upon streamers last time making SEGA take the steps to... uh, remove area Symbol Art...? Or for red box farm they... set up a quest barrier that can be reached without much effort at all?

So, what will be SEGA's next step now that there are literally unreachable bots and teleporting cheaters?

This kind of thing at this time is sapping my energy for this game, sigh. It is the last thing we needed.

SEGA has never tackled cheaters

more the reason we finally need to be able to adjust our chat functions further, aswell as being able to click a users name from the chat with a menu opening that gives us the same options, as if we were to click them directly. how can this development team be so blind to what's working so well in other games.hooooow

@Vashzaron said in PSA: Spammers are sending messages from outside town:

it seems like teleportation was figured out, or I suppose a speedhack that goes fast enough that it skips loading zones.

Yeah if I had to guess it's probably one or both of:

1. Client-side positioning with no server-side checks
  2. Potential client-side requests to change sector being either suppressed or not sent in the first place if the sector change areas have a limit and they're teleporting beyond them.

Besides the unpreventable spam ramifications, one concern here is if they're doing this they'll also be able to trivialise the upcoming 830 BP requirement to unlock the Personal Shop by botting a few level ups on their disposable money-collecting accounts. If so, that change will only really slow the inflation damage caused by individual exploiters playing manually.

Now we know whats going to have to come next: Area chat turn off until they impliment the same story quest progression restriction coming to player shop. and while they are at it they need to do it for whispers and SA

Also, it is possible to at least block these bots by using the ARKs search function, which is still in NGS under communications from the main menu, but you cant report that way

So we're going to be like PSO 1? Where back then even the normal player had to cheat to keep up? I hope it doesn't come to that. Even in private servers for old PS games, we had bots going outside walls to spam.

@AngryRhombus563 said in PSA: Spammers are sending messages from outside town:

Now we know whats going to have to come next:

Bots doing regular combat with underground rangers and blasting through everything other than scripted, instancewide wipes?

At least in this scenario we could have still blocked their symbol arts....

Had they still been able to use them...

@AngryRhombus563 said in PSA: Spammers are sending messages from outside town:

Now we know whats going to have to come next: Area chat turn off until they impliment the same story quest progression restriction coming to player shop. and while they are at it they need to do it for whispers and SA

They could do many things but choose not to do anything for some unfathomable reason. Or at least nothing worthwhile.